Wednesday, October 18, 2023

Who Won the Oscar-1936

 


So night...day and can I find a song that connects with an Oscar contender? Yes, I can and I chose 1936 as the year. Over at Monday Music Moves Me, you can find out how many songs fit day or night. Now, let's see if you can guess correctly who won the Oscar, who was nominated and who got nuttin'.

1. I'VE GOT YOU UNDER MY SKIN SUNG BY FRANK SINATRA

This song comes from the film, "Born To Dance" written by Cole Porter. This is a very famous song made very famous by Frank Sinatra but has been sung by many. 

2. THE WAY YOU LOOK TONIGHT SUNG BY NAT KING COLE

Nat King Cole is such a great singer and died way too young but he did this song justice. This comes from the film, "Swing Time" and was written by Jerome Kern(music) and Dorothy Fields(lyrics).

3. LET'S FACE THE MUSIC AND DANCE SUNG FRED ASTAIRE 

This is a haunting song that is one of my all time favourites. This comes from the film, " Follow The Fleet" written by Irving Berlin. When they danced this number, Fred got slapped so hard by Rogers' dress that he was almost knocked off his feet! You can see it hit his face if you look close enough. Often Rogers co-designed her dresses much to Astaire's chagrin. This dress was made with sequins and beads which was very heavy. It looks beautiful though.

So, who won, who was nominated and who came up empty-handed?

11 comments:

  1. Ginger's dress is gorgeous so the way (you) she looks tonight (the winner) is marvelous even if the dress was too heavy for Fred. She seemed to be able to dance wearing any kind of clothing and shoes. That's a beautiful number.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cheated... that was a great year for music... any one of them could have won.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol. I haven't got a clue, but I think all of these songs are winners!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to google that dress. It weighed 25 pounds and had no fabric, just beads! Pretty racy.

      Delete
  4. Oh yes, that dress in #3 really swings around. I suppose the cracks in their partnership were beginning to show. They did a couple more films after that, though, right? I believe they ultimately did 10 together.

    I've got no guesses today. I highly doubt that two songs from Astaire/Rogers pics were nominated in the same year, but I could be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Birgit!

    Oh you made it tougher this week! Usually you have one outlier that seems like the only reason you included it is that it scored a nomination and then faded into obscurity. Not so with these three gems!

    Ack!! It make it more of a puzzler. So without looking I'm guessing the song that got poor Fred nearly knocked out "Let's Face the Music and Dance" didn't get a nod. Ginger loved her bangles, spangles and beads. I've read that most of the costume designers and dressers that worked with her were forever plucking some piece of ostentatious jewelry off her to keep her from looking like an overdone Christmas tree. I do find that easy to believe considering that after her studio years whenever she appeared she tended towards the garish overstatement.

    "I Got You Under My Skin" from Born to Dance (which features the only time Jimmy Stewart was forced to sing on camera...Thank goodness!...was nominated.

    But I think "The Way You Look Tonight" was the winner. Nat King Cole's rendition is peerless but it's such a lovely song it's a tough one to mess up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Way You Look Tonight is by far the best sone, whether it won or not!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm also giving a vote (because I have no idea whatsoever) that The Way You Look Tonight won, I Got You Under My Skin was nominated and Fred and Ginger were left out, no matter how beautiful Ginger's dress was.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We think all these songs and performances are winners for that year😸Double Pawkisses for a Happy Day and week ahead🐾😽💞

    ReplyDelete
  9. You always do such a fabulous job featuring old classic songs. My favorite is Nat King Cole singing The Way You Look Tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you everyone for all the great comments. Joel is correct, Look Tonight won whereas Under My Skin was nominated and my fav, the last one, eas out in the cold

    ReplyDelete