Thursday, October 26, 2023

Thursday Movie Picks: TV Edition- Cults/Secret Societies

 


Wandering Through The Shelves picked a toughie this week but I hope I chose well...

1. SATAN'S SCHOOL FOR GIRLS-1973

I don't think I've seen this since it appeared on TV back then but I still recall Kate Jackson( the smart Charlie’s Angel) coming face to face with a cult on campus. Pamela Franklin's sister turns up dead by suicide but she doesn't buy it so she goes undercover  atvthe school to find out and becomes good friends with Kate's character. It's campy, a bit scary for this young kid but still good.

2. GUYANA TRAGEDY: THE STORY OF JIM JONES-1980

I remember when the Jim Jones mass suicide and murder happened and I sat, riveted, to the TV listening to the events that happened before, during and after this nutbar took himself and over 800 people with him, many willingly to the Koolaid death. This film soon came out on TV and is quite  good re-telling of this evil a hole and how people succumbed to his charms where he could do no wrong. I’d love to see this again…

3. THE X FILES-1993-2002

Well, of course this show dealt with cults and these cults always seem to take place in quaint small towns, of course. Muldaur and Scully go to investigate each one, over the years with some seeming to hit close to home like when Muldaur feels he had been at that town before and that he lived a previous life. All are quite entertaining because…it’s the X Files!


What can you think of? Kool aid anyone? 


17 comments:

  1. X-Files! Great pick. They dealt with many cults in that show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birgit here…yes they did which is why I chose them

      Delete
  2. Jim Jones...what a POS. I love the X-Files! So many great episodes and movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birgit here… what does POS mean??…lol. X-Files 2as a great show

      Delete
  3. Believe it or not, I've never seen an episode of the X-Files.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birgit here…Wow! You are a rare one

      Delete
  4. I have no shows to add, but I find it interesting that the famous meme "Don't drink the Kool-Aid" or "You drank the Kool-Aid" isn't historically accurate. Apparently what the Jonestown cult consumed was Flavor Aid:

    https://www.vox.com/2015/5/23/8647095/kool-aid-jonestown-flavor-aid

    Of course, Kool-Aid was much more famous (and rolls off the tongue much smoother than does Flavor Aid) so it's not really surprising that Kool-Aid became the meme.

    This has been your 'Trivial Trivia Fact For The Day', brought to you by the makers of Brawndo, the drink that plants crave!

    ~ D-FensDogG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birgit here…I did not know that…I always heard KoolAid. Funny, you would think Kool Aid would want that know .

      Delete
  5. Love, love, love the X-Files. Never heard of the others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birgit here….X-Files is the most famous

      Delete
  6. Kate Jackson's hair looks so gorgeous in the Satan School movie. I don't think she's quite as smart there as she was in Charlie's Angels, because she seemed comforted by closing those see-through drapes until...Oh honey, even that short clip scared me. I just couldn't watch these movies now or as a youngin.
    Love ya.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birgit here… that was not Kate Jackson:) this was before Kate came into the picture but she still had nice hair. This was scary and what happened next was …not nice.

      Delete
  7. The X-Files is the only one I've seen, though too long ago to remember any specific plots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birgit here…I always liked the X Files:).

      Delete
  8. Never saw the Satan one, but I saw some show about Jim Jones and it might have been your pick. I wouldn't say I was much of an X-Files fan, but I saw a few episodes.

    Maybe the show Wayward Pines might qualify. It came out a few years back and I remember watching it, but I couldn't say exactly what it was about. It was weird and maybe kind of a cult.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Satan movie isn’t bad..a bit kitsch but still good. I have never heard of the Wayward Pines.

      Delete
  9. I have seen the last two, but not the first one. That Jones character and film was scary indeed. I was a Mulder fan!!

    ReplyDelete