Thursday, October 5, 2023

Thursday Movie Picks: Horror Edition- Tourist

 


October and it's horror time...I'm not too much into the grisly stuff but I shall do my best. Ive seen plenty of tourists and have been one myself and some are quite scary( hopefully not me). Wandering through the Shelves always loves a good spooky movie or scary so here are my 3...

1. THE UNINVITED-1944 

OK, I spoke about this one before but I love it and it works here. Ray Milland and Ruth Hussey are brother and sister who are on a scenic trip through the English countryside and his sis falls for a house owned by an old timer and his granddaughter, played etherially, by Gail Russell. Without knowing it, this house is haunted but that doesn't put bro and sis off. This is a truly great ghost story and mystery with the moody lighting and scenic views adding to this story.

2. JAWS-1975

If you haven't seen the film, you  at least, know about it. The July 4th holidays are approaching and the tourists are coming to the island to swim and have fun. Unfortunately, Bruce, the shark, has decided that humans taste real good and the sheriff, played by Roy Scheider, wants to shut down the beaches. “Not by he hair of my chinny, chin, chin," says the mayor in his horrible suits. Well, things don't go well and the sheriff along with a marine biologist, played by Richard Dreyfus and crusty sailor, Robert Shaw,  decide to kill poor Bruce. It's great even after all these years and so is the making of documentary where we find out the mechanical shark kept breaking down so Spielberg named it Bruce after his lawyer.

3. PIRANHA-1978

So, this is not the best flick but it’s the 2nd one that popped into my head, after Jaws. This came out the same year as Jaws 2 and there was rumblings of suing until Spielberg mentioned this movie in a favourable light. Anyhoo, the piranha were given some great shit that made them meaner and loving flesh so they could be released in the rivers of Vietnam to win the war. Alas the government, being morons, never got around to sending the piranhas to Vietnam, so they are kept locked up in some place where people come to have fun including a camp for kids. Of course, the piranhas are freed from their area and are able to swim freely to where everyone has fun. This is campy and dumb but I was still scared of these toothy buggers. They have remade the film, of course, but this one is still the campiest best.

Which tourist horror movies can you think of?

15 comments:

  1. Good picks. My first thought was a really crappy film called The Tourist Trap. (Only watch it with the help of RiffTrax though - it's not good.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will keep that in mind if I ever see this flick

      Delete
  2. "The Uninvited" is one of Mary's faves. No "SharkNado"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, so eerie. Nope no Sharknado or 2, 3, 4 or how many they made. One day I'll watch it

      Delete
  3. Nothing came to mind. I have seen The Uninvited and even read the book. Jaws, of course. Never heard of Piranha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this was a tough one. I read Jaws by Peter Benchley. The movie is a bit different but pretty close. The uninvited is eerie.

      Delete
  4. I avoid horror movies because I'm frightened so easily and I don't like having nightmares after watching something scary, so I can't think of anything other than Jaws. It's scary enough for me and I've never forgotten going to see it when I was in high school. That shark coming up out of the water at the boat scared me half to death.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know exactly what you mean. That scene scared me, the Bigger Boat scene always makes jump and that scene with Richard Dryfuss under water st the sunken boat only for the head to pop by him ..total freak out

      Delete
  5. Hi Birgit!

    I am a big fan of The Uninvited too! It's very well made, Ray and Ruth make very believable siblings, Cornelia Otis Skinner is delightfully cuckoo for Coco Puffs as the shrink and the tragic Gail Russell practically glows with ethereal promise.

    It not something I watch often but Jaws is undeniably a masterwork.

    Which I can't say for Piranha! I did watch that but only because I was at someone else's house and everyone was watching. That was enough for me.

    I'm not one for the grisly either and my first thought led me to my others which are more on the spooky side than flat out horror.

    The Halfway House (1944)-When a group of travelers take refuge at an isolated roadside inn run by a father and daughter (real life parent and child Mervyn and Glynis Johns-who turns 100 today!) they find they are in for an eerie surprise.

    Between Two Worlds (1944)-During the London Blitz a group of disparate travelers suddenly find themselves on a large steamer drifting relentlessly through a fog. With only one steward aboard who responds to their questions with enigmatic answers they soon begin to suspect that their destination is not the one they had expected.

    And Soon the Darkness (1970)-Jane and Cathy, two young English nurses, are on a cycling holiday through the French countryside when they strike up a conversation with a man by the roadside. Cathy, intrigued by him decides to stay and get to know him better but Jane continues on to the next town expecting Cathy to follow. But Cathy vanishes and Jane, who doesn't speak French, searches desperately to locate as darkness begins to descend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you chose a Glynnis Johns movie. I would have picked her for my star of the month but I spoke about a lady last month so I went with a man. I have not seen this film or the last one but on my list to see.
      I love...love Between Two Worlds. I have the DVD and it's so great.

      Delete
  6. Jaws, a classic after all these years. That's funny about naming the shark Bruce after his lawyer. Heh. Hope you're feeling well today.
    Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jaws and piranha are good choices. I've never seen the first. Not sure what I'd pick as jaws was the only one that I thought of along with the awful sequels.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely not my genre! And yet, I've been to The Shining hotel, even took the tour.

    Your comment on my latest DS9 post got me curious. Here's what I learned:

    The Simpsons characters Kang and Kodos are, in fact, named after original series Star Trek characters: the Klingon Kang and Kodos after the character in "The Conscience of the King," played by Arnold Moss.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's going to be all kinds of scary movies rolling all month. Hope today is a good day for you.
    Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Uninvited sounds interesting.
    Jaws is the only one I've seen and the shark definitely scared the summer tourists.

    ReplyDelete