Wednesday, November 1, 2023

Day Of The Dead

 


November 1st is becoming very popular for the Mexican festival known as the day of the dead where they celebrate the people who have died feeling they may be able to talk to their formerly alive loved ones. I’m joining the Monday Music Moves Me with this week’s theme about Scary Band Names and/or Night Creatures. I think a couple of these songs I have chosen belong to the Night Creatures so let’s enjoy some beautiful music from Mexico…

1. LA LLORONA SUNG BY ANGELA AGUILAR-2018

This song is based on the famous ghost story bout a woman, who murders her children in order to be with the man she loves. She dies and must now roam the countryside looking for her children. The music is very old but became popular by Andres Henestrosa in 1941 with his version of this old folk song and tale.

2. EL CASCABEL SUNG BY MARIA DE LOURDES-1992

This song is about a man and his pet snakey…get your minds out of the gutter even if I put you there. This folk song originates from the 18th century about a man who is a snake charmer and is trying to hide his rattlesnake from the police who have outlawed owning a snake. Ughh, Freud would have a field day with this one.

3. LA BRUJA SUNG BY ROSY ARANGO-2022

The title means, “The Witch” about a witch that sucks the blood of people. Obviously, like the ghost of La Llorona, move about at night. This is another very popular tune for those Mexican gals and boys who like to sing songs about death, creepiness, blood-sucking witches and snake charmers. I think Rosy has an amazing voice.

In good ole Catholic land, it’s All Saint’s Day or even “Name Day” in Germany and Austria ( my name day is actually in July). Any songs that spring to mind about night creatures? How about Saints? 


10 comments:

  1. What a fabulous offering today, Birgit! I love Spanish music of all types and these songs from Mexico are so interesting, with the stories attached to them. Thanks for sharing these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been trying to reply and send but it wouldn't take. Obviously on my ipad ..damn thing! Lol...these songs are great and I, too, love Mexican music.

      Delete
  2. I'm a great fan of that wonderful Catholic drinking song, "For All The Saints."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should have this on one of your music posts

      Delete
  3. I grew up in New York City and heard Mexican/Puerto Rican style music on the subway all the time - I enjoy it very much. The costuming in song videos #1 and #3 were fantastic, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this music and I love the costumes and the makeup

      Delete
  4. I've obviously never heard of any of these, but I enjoyed the trailers and your synopses. I agree the costumes in 1 and 3 were amazing and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed these and the music and makeup are excellent

      Delete
  5. The music doesn't sound like "the dead" and had you not explained the stories behind these songs then I'd be in the dark. The first artist reminds me a bit of Shakira with her singing style, you know those little breaks in pitch. These were all good. Thanks for sharing and for joining the party, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed these and, you're right, she does sound a bit like Shakira. They do sound fun and happy...who knew!?

      Delete