Wednesday, November 8, 2023

Remembrance to the true Heroes

 


My dad, who was born in Barry’s Bay, On. In 1913, was part of the Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Regiment and, maybe, he’s in this photo…I should look at it more closely later on. He fought for Canada during the 2nd World War, was part of the Liberation of Holland and was in one of the final battles in the Reischwald Forest where he was wounded near the end of the war. I have spoken bout what my mom went through but not my daddy as much. I would have asked him a lot more questions if he didn’t pass when I was only 23. I wish I could go back in time or go to a holodeck to talk to him but, alas, I can’t. Remembrance Day is this Saturday to commemorate the 11th month of the 11th day of the 11th hour when the First World War ended and I thought I would add 3 songs that are all unique but all were big in their day. I’m joining the Monday Music Moves Me which is freebie week.

1. IN FLANDER’S FIELDS-ORIGINALLY FROM 1915


This is a world famous poem written by Canadian, John McCrea, a doctor who wrote this after he lost his good friend, Alexis Helmer, during the battle of Ypres in 1915. When he noticed how the poppies sprouted around the graves of the Canadians he felt compelled to write this poem. Unfortunately, he died of pneumonia in 1918 but his poem lives on in every school since that time. I memorized it along with millions of other kids past and present. In 1917, American Charles Ives, put these words to music in 1917.

2. LILI MARLENE SUNG BY LALE ANDERSEN-1939


This became a huge hit all over the world, not just the Germans. A version 45 was found by Allied forces and they started playing it and it took off. It got translated from German into English, French, etc., etc, etc…. This, too, was based on a poem written in 1915 by Hans Leip with music by Norbert Schultz and made very famous by this gal whom I never knew about until now. I have to read more about this lady. 

3. DER FUHRER’S FACE SUNG BY THIS FUN FILM GROUP-1942


The film group who sings this song are Hank Mann, William Irving, Heinie Conklin and Joe Polska with  “Snub” Pollard as the waiter. It became famous by Spike Jones but I just liked this film bit and thought it was funny.

What song can you think of that commemorates these true heroes?

15 comments:

  1. I've never heard the full version of "Der Fuhrer's Face." This is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My father was in the army for 26 years and a Korean War vet, so Remembrance Day means a lot to me as well. 💖 Love your song choices, and it's good to add some humour. My first thought (after Flander's Field) was Highway of Heroes, by The Trews. Watch the video HERE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your dad and mine really are heroic with what they endured. They would say otherwise but I believe that

      Delete
  3. Hi Birgit - all three ... but like John I'd never seen "Der Fuhrer's Face" - reminds me a little of 'Allo, Allo' a tv programme over here. Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a funny show you have over there

      Delete
  4. Yes, it's too bad you weren't able to ask him all those questions, but at 23, who thinks of it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, true but I did get a few stories, thankfully

      Delete
  5. Sorry you weren't able to ask questions. Some men from WWII didn't talk about it though.
    Saturday is our Veterans Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right but my dad did talk a bit and I got a few stories.

      Delete
  6. My father was a World War II veteran. I have always loved the In Flanders Fields poem -it is so powerful. I was familiar with Spike Jones and His City Slicker's Der Fuehrer's Face, but one thing I didn't know was that this song was a satire of a real song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flanders is a beautiful poem. I had no idea that is based on a real song.

      Delete
  7. Birgit,

    I'm grateful for brave men like your dad who fought to liberate others while serving to keep Canada/US free. We don't think to ask questions of our parents or grandparents when we're younger. I was just thinking the other day, I wish I had asked Daddy more things. I loved that you went the direction to honoring veterans with your song picks which I think I haven't heard before now. Have a boogietastic weekend, darlin'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was able to get a few stories and am glad for that. We truly need to honour those that risked all so we can have what we have. I'm glad you enjoyed the songs

      Delete
  8. I've never seen Citizen Kane. I should rectify that. Hope today is pain free. Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete