Thursday, November 9, 2023

Thursday Movie Picks-Different Perspective

 


This was a hard one for me. I know there are films out there that capture other people's perspectives on a situation but my mind wasn't working. Wandering through the Shelves made me think this week. Here are my 3...

1. CITIZEN KANE-1941

Arguably the best film ever made. It’s not my favourite but  I recognize the greatness of it and it’s better, in my opinion, than the Godfather films. It starts off with an old man in his castle saying “Rosebud” before letting a snowglobe fall as he died. From there, a reporter travels to see all the people he used to know to learn bout the man and trying to find out what rosebud meant. We get to learn different aspects of this complicated man from each person’s perspective of him. This film is a must see even from a historical viewpoint and, if you read about this film or see a documentary about it, it’s just as fascinating.

2.  THE BAREFOOT CONTESSA-1954

This film stars Humphrey Bogart who is the main narrator about this enigmatic woman, played wonderfully by Ava Gardener. You realize, right away, that he is at her funeral and you learn about her through Bogie from her first appearance to Bogie to her rise in fame. From there, you learn about her from Edmond O’Brien’s character who is a bit of a sleaze in the film industry and, finally, you learn about her through the eyes of her husband, played by pursed lips Rossano Brazzi. It’s considered Ava Gardener’s best role and she is brilliant in it because you feel like part of the character is also the actress who was a free spirit.

3. KNIVES OUT-2019

This is a fun film concerning a very rich family whose patriarch has died in a lethal matter. You get to know about him, played by Christopher Plumber, through the eyes of all the people in his orbit. You also learn about each person in the family and what the6 think of the situation. It all comes together by the detective, played by Daniel Craig. As he speaks to each person. A stellar cast with Jamie Lee Curtis, Toni Collette and Chris Evans as part of the family help create an original film and a funny one too. 

What films can you think of?


24 comments:

  1. Good choice on the last one. Yeah, that theme is difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brigit, only Citizen Kane, not the other two movies. Didn't really take to Citizen Kane, not my kind of film. Hope all is well with you and yours, Kate x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not my favourite film either but I recognize it for its brilliance

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed all three of your choices, especially The Barefoot Contessa. Most movies based on Agatha Christie novels would probably suit this theme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right! I could have chosen Murder on the Orient Express

      Delete
  4. I've never seen The Barefoot Contessa. Yeah, I wouldn't know what to do with this theme either. I think I liked Citizen Kane more than you did. (Not a favorite, but I liked it well enough.) I've even seen The Glass Onion. That Daniel Craig detective needs more films (and I think there will be).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind Citizen Kane but if I had a choice between Kane and Contessa, I'd choose Contessa. I want to see the 2nd movie which looks just as good as the first

      Delete
    2. The 2nd movie is as twisty, although I saw them far enough apart that it's hard to make comparisons.

      Delete
  5. I' ve seen your first two choices. Difficult category. Would Sunset Boulevard work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is tough. I love Sunset but I don't think it works because we only hear the dead man's version of events but I love this movie.

      Delete
  6. You got some classics. Knives Out is the only one I've seen. I like Daniel Craig. Hope today is pain free.
    Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not pain free but enjoyed the weekend. Knives Out is really good.

      Delete
    2. Not pain free but enjoyed my weekend. I hope you did too. This movie is really good and fun to watch.

      Delete
  7. We've seen all of these fine movies. The later film with Daniel Craig was a real brain twister with all the various views going on within the plot. My mind doesn't seem to handle movies like this well but I enjoyed it all the same. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These films can be twisters. My dad hated these types of films...so did my mom. It can be tough to follow.

      Delete
  8. I'm with you on Citizen Kane. It's a great film, but maybe not in my personal top ten. Close though.

    The other two picks I've heard of but not seen.

    The 2000 film Momento captured perspectives in an interesting way. Or the Mexican film Amores Perros might be a good one for this theme. Though going to look at the example in the other blog I'm rethinking this. How about that Steve Martin film Roxanne based on the "Cyrano D'Bergerac" story?

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm the same with Kane, in my top 20 but not my top 10 unless someone asks about the technical ways then it would be very high up.
      I have not seen the Mexican film but Memento is great. I think Roxanne works too.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for another fantastic post. Your expertise shines through brilliantly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 'THE BALLAD OF GREGORIO CORTEZ' starring Edward James Olmos would be a good film for this category. It's about how a misunderstanding of language (Spanish) leads to a massive chase, with a posse riding over hill and dale in pursuit of a Mexican fugitive.

    Interesting look at how one simple mistake or error can have catastrophic consequences in the lives of others.

    ~ D-FensDogG

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rashomon comes to mind, of course.

    Dead Again

    How about Hunt for Red October? I suppose there are a lot of war/military movies that could work in this category. I especially like this one for the extraordinary character sympathy developed on both sides.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I saw Citizen Kane a long time ago. Didn't like it and didn't get why it was great.

    ReplyDelete