Friday, December 11, 2015

Mock Squid Soup Film Society-My Pick!


Now it is time for the reveal! Last week, I gave 3 clues pertaining to the film I chose and I am actually a bit tickled that no one guessed correctly:) Head on over to The Armchair Squid to see what everyone else chose for their film of the month.  My 3 clues were:

When I saw this film, it made me dream of going to Budapest (I did end up going!)

The Female Character runs into her old love and brings him backstage of the Metropolitan Opera House. While she is changing, she talks about the letters she received from him on her travels. When she mentions Budapest, she says it with such love and magic in her voice that I thought Budapest must be a place of astounding beauty. When I was 18 I had a chance to go and I did!

2. It won awards but one star broke his

The film was up for 10 Academy Awards and won 8 including Best Picture. The Best Supporting Actor(who was also up for Best Actor before the rules changed about double dipping) won an Oscar but he, later on, knocked the head off his Oscar when he was practicing his gold swing. During the War Years, they made the Oscars out of plaster instead of Gold due to the metal shortage.

3. It co-stars a famous mezzo soprano

When I heard this lady sing in this film I was in heaven! Her voice was astounding and she seemed to be the perfect Carmen. Her name is Rise Stevens (2 dots are over the E but I can't do that here). She was a famous Mezzo Soprano who made a couple of movies.

So what is the movie?

GOING MY WAY-1944



It's December so I had to pick a Christmas movie and this is a classic. Everyone knows I love It's A Wonderful Life and could talk about that for hours but this film deserves some love too. Considering the famous star and the number of awards it won I am surprised fewer people know about it. 

The film stars Bing Crosby as a young priest having the difficult  duty to help out an older priest, played by the wonderful Barry Fitzgerald (who is the man who broke his Oscar), try to bring St. Dominic's out of financial ruin.  The older priest is set in his ways and is not one for the modern way of thinking so, at the beginning, he is at odds with Bing Crosby's character.  Bing helps many people find their way in life, often through song. There is comedy and drama both played equally strong. The singing is interwoven into the plot so it is not a true musical. Crosby's character, Father O'Malley helps juvenile delinquents get off the street by teaching them to sing. He meets his one time love, Rise Stevens, who is now a celebrated Opera singer and this all creates magic that culminates on Christmas Eve. The ending never fails to make me weep like a little baby.  I love the song Too-Ra- Loo-Ra- Loo-Ral which Bing sings  in this film-simply enchanting. 


For your listening pleasure...


OK..one more that she sings in the film with the kids...but it is not this version. I know, I hope you have time to listen:)


33 comments:

  1. Hi, dear Birgit!

    Yes yes yes, I remember Going My Way. I saw it back in 2007, the year I made a commitment to myself to catch up on film history by binge watching hundreds of old movies. Barry Fitzgerald was a compelling character actor, perfect in the roles of priests and other authority figures. The other day I read that Bing Crosby was one of the richest people in America at the time of his death in 1977.

    Have a safe and happy weekend, dear friend BB!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you saw this film. You must have seen The Bishop's Wife also with Cary Grant? Barry Fitzgerald is one of my favourite character actors. Bing was quite rich and he died the way he probably wanted..he was in Spain playing golf. he just finished the 18th hole when he dropped dead of a heart attack

      Delete
  2. I think I saw bits and pieces of this movie; my sister was a fan of movies like this and one of the TV stations we watched growing up would feature movies on Saturday afternoon. I remember her baking around Christmas and having the TV on in the background with usually some Bing Crosby movie on :)

    Sounded like a great plot for a movie :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great plot and the chemistry between the 2 leads is excellent.

      Delete
  3. Never even heard of it. Heard the first song from him though at least before. Trailers were so much different than they are now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trailers are so different and I kind of like them better. It is a bombardment nowadays. I hope you get to see this once

      Delete
  4. This film never even came near to crossing my mind. In fact I probably haven't seen this since I was a kid so I don't remember it really.

    Arlee Bird
    Wrote By Rote

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha! My clues were good:) It is an excellent movie and hope you catch it again one day

      Delete
  5. Bing Crosby is one of those of-their-time stars who thankfully is completely timeless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is and so nice to hear his singing-I love him and David Bowie singing Little Drummer Boy

      Delete
  6. I have to say I would not have thought of GMW... but you're absolutely right... it is a cracker of a movie.
    x Asha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was vagie with the clues unless you really knew the movie well and knew about Barry's Oscar being broken by him because of it being made from plaster. How is Richard Parker and Charlie and all:) Are they going to receive something for Christmas?

      Delete
  7. Ah, that's why I had no idea what it was. I've never seen it. I have heard of it, but I've never gotten around to viewing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so good and leaves you with a warm feeling

      Delete
  8. I remember Going My Way. Long time ago. I take it you meant practicing his golF swing LOL. Have a great Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember this classic movie, although it wasn't my guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know-unless you know the movie and the Oscar statue issue, you would not know.

      Delete
  10. I wonder if I saw this movie. I recall seeing Crosby as a priest, with troubled kids, and an old priest. Now, I want to see it for the Budapest reference that inspired you to go there. That to me is the wonder. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got the movie! It is about 1 second of film. When the opera singer is brushing her hair talking to Bing (who is in the other room), she is remembering the letters she received when she was in different European cities and she ends with Budapest before she talks about going to Lucerne. That one second when she says Budapest and her eyes glisten made me want to go.

      Delete
  11. Yet another movie that is new to me. I do love the sound of Bing's voice- though this song is new to me (I think). Great to have another movie to add to my list. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you listened to the song...it is so pretty

      Delete
  12. I would never have guessed but I am intrigued. May be checking this one out soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a truly wonderful film that I like to watch every Christmas

      Delete
    2. Our traditional Christmastime story is Philadelphia Story. It's not really a holiday movie at all but my wife and I watched it on our second date at this time of year.

      Delete
    3. That is sweet and there are always movies or customs we do that may seem very Un-Christmas but not to the people who celebrate it

      Delete
    4. Absolutely. Merry Christmas and a CK Dexter Haaaaaaaaveeeeeeen!!!!!!!

      Delete
  13. Where was my head. This is such a good movie, very sweet. Thanks so much for bringing it back to the forefront of my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome and hope you get a chance to see it

      Delete
  14. I didn't know the story about the broken Oscar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup! Poor Barry Fitzgerald busted the head clean off when practicing.

      Delete
  15. Hadn't even heard of this one. I'm on a spree of old Christmas movies lately, though, so I'll have to add this one to the list, if only because I dig Bing Crosby (and your recommendation doesn't hurt).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you must add this to the list. I think you will like the antics of Tony Scapone and Alfalfa:)

      Delete