Thursday, October 12, 2023

Thursday Movie Picks: Halloween Edition-New Person

 


I hope Wandering from Wandering Through The Shelves is ok because she did not have her post up for last week for the tourist theme. This week it’s all about the new person whether it’s a new girlfriend/boyfriend, mom/ dad etc… I went with the new gal in town and hope you like my picks and here they are…

1. REBECCA-1940


A suave, filthy rich, brooding man, played by Lawrence Olivier meets shy, mousy, sweetie, Joan Fontaine and, after a whirlwind romance, they marry and he brings her back to his house, Manderley. Manderley is a nice cottage…oh please! It’s a big ass mansion that I would love to wander through which has the biggest fireplaces I’ve ever seen. So, in comes the new Mrs. who feels intimidated from the get go when she meets the staff and some of his “friends” especially the head housekeeper, Mrs. Danvers. To say Mrs. Danvers is creepy is an understatement and she is played wondrously by Judith Anderson who deserved an Oscar for this performance as the off balanced, totally devoted to the first Mrs. DeWinter (Rebecca) head housekeeper. Mrs. Danvers is so devoted to Rebecca that she does all she can to drive the new Mrs. DeWinter nuts and good ole Larry doesn’t seem to do much to help his new wife out. Joan Fontaine won an Oscar for her role and the only actress to ever win in an Alfred Hitchcock film. 

2. CAT PEOPLE-1942


A nice young man meets a beautiful young Serbian woman and they fall in love and marry but before you can say, “Let’s do the humpty-dump” she says, in that Meat Loaf song kind of way, “Stop right there!” Because she is scared she will become a black Panther and kill the man she loves. She feels she comes from a long line of panther women and that, when she has sex, the Panther will come out and strike. This is a film by Val Lewton known for creating atmospheric movies based more on suggestion than actual gore or scream type movies. It’s very artistic and still leaves you unsettled.

3. LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN-1945


I spoke about this film before but it’s just so good I have to speak about it again. Cornel Wilde meets up with the most beautiful Gene Tierney who takes his breath away. She is dealing with the death of her dad and is getting rid of his ashes while her mom and her cousin watch. We realize that she seems to have an unholy bond with her daddy. She meets him and soon dumps her fiancé, poor Vincent Price to marry poor sap, Cornel. Everything seems to be ok until he brings his little brother, who is recovering from polio,  to live with them. You get to see that this beauty does not like to be ignored and must always be #1 to the point that she must have her husband all to herself. We soon realize this gal is someone you never want to meet as she is one evil bitch. I do believe Gene deserved the Oscar for her performance in this film. She plays this gal to her most evil self.

Which films can you think of?

24 comments:

  1. I remember the remake of Cat People but not well. It did have gore. And I believe a very naked Nastassja Kinski.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the best from that movie was David Bowie's music

      Delete
  2. These are some pretty dark movies. I've seen Rebecca. I love the movie and love the book even more. I've also seen Leave Her To Heaven. Gene Tierney's character is nasty as can be. I can think of Chocolat. Juliette Binoche plays a young woman who arrives in a small, very conservative religious town with her little girl and shakes things up when she opens her chocolate shop. Notting Hill has Julia Roberts as the huge movie star who arrives in London, meets Hugh Grant's bookstore owning character, and the two end up falling in love. In What's Eating Gilbert Grape, Juliette Lewis plays the new girl who arrives in town only to fall for Johnny Depp's Gilbert (who wouldn't go after a young Johnny Depp?).

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, to the movies you have chosen. I'm not the best of fans to Notting Hill or..Nodding Off but it's ok. Love Chocolat and What's Eating Gilbert Grape

      Delete
  3. "Rebecca" is one of Mary's favorite movies. I'm not sure I quite got it, but anyway...

    They remade "Cat People" in '82 with Nastassya Kinski and Malcolm McDowell. I think they sexed it up from its predecessor, but the loglines are pretty close (disclaimer: I've seen neither).

    Never seen "Leave Her To Heaven," but Gene Tierney and Vincent Price were in "Laura" together...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd like Leave Her to Heaven and yes, they were in Laura. I love that movie too. Rebecca is great with lesbian overtones with miss. Danvers.

      Delete
  4. I've not seen that version of Rebecca. I saw the PBS remake with Charles Dance. Decent version if you run across it. I haven't seen the others, either. I can't say that any movies that fit the theme come to mind, but I might think of some more later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll see the tv version one day. I love tge film with that haunting place.

      Delete
  5. I've seen Rebecca a few times and the Cat People once, but not your third choice. It sounds interesting! The first movie that came to mind is New In Town, starring Renee Zellweger and Harry Connick Jr. It was filmed in Manitoba. Not exactly a classic, and the reviews were pretty bad, but I enjoyed it. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would enjoy the last film I chose. I haven’t seen your pick but...maybe, one day:)

      Delete
  6. I’ve seen Rebecca in this version and several others. I’ve read the book a few times too. I seem to have a different opinion of it every time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read the book once..should read it again. I do Luke the film even if Mac is an ass

      Delete
  7. Loved both the book and movie Rebecca. Lusciously eerie.
    Hope you've felt well today.
    Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm slowly getting better! The movie is great and I enjoyed the book which I should read again

      Delete
  8. BIRGIT ~

    I believe I saw 'Rebecca', but it was so many decades back that I've forgotten all of the finer details.

    Never saw 'Cat People'.

    'Leave Her To Heaven' was such an unlikely role for Gene Tierney and I thought she was terrific in it. I first saw Gene in 'The Ghost And Mrs. Muir', immediately fell in love with her and made it a point to see every one of her movies that I was able to locate.

    ~ D-FensDogG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is lovely in The Ghost and Mrs. Muir a d great in this film. Talk about fatal attraction

      Delete
  9. I've never heard of any of these, but, as always, was impressed by your synopses.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Rebecca. Have never heard of Cat People.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cat People is an A picture in a B suit. It's quite good

      Delete
  11. I love Rebecca, great movie.
    Last week...well I actually just forgot (that post is up now). I was just so used to the whole fortnightly TMP and forgot that the Halloween Edition is weekly :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh oh...this makes me think you won't do this next year

      Delete
  12. I saw Cat Woman years ago.
    Hope you're doing well.
    Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete