Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Women Are Strong

 


I got this idea from reading Anabel’s blog, the Glasgow Gallivanter with her travels around her  neck of the woods and beyond and has been speaking about the Suffragettes and their movement. These women were brave since they were not just belittled, but beaten and jailed all because they..we wanted the right to vote and be considered equal. We are still fighting this but, we have made headway and I thought of 3 songs…well, 2 songs and one major kick ass woman. It’s freebie week over at Monday Music Moves Me hosted by the wonderful Cathy at Curious as a Cathy. Check out all the eclectic tastes people have when it comes to music. What I love is that music is what brings people together. Let’s get going…

1. SISTERS ARE DOIN’ IT FOR THEMSELVES SUNG BY ANNIE LENNOX AND ARETHA FRANKLIN-1985


This is the first song that came into my head. I love this song, love Annie Lennox and love Aretha Franklin. It was written by the Eurythmics team of Annie Lennox and David Stewart and it’s one of my favourites.

2. MY COUNTRY TIS OF THEE SUNG BY MARIAN ANDERSON-1939


I hope this video shows her singing this song because I can’t view it when in my blog. This brave, brave woman was denied singing at Washington Constitutional Hall by the racist daughters of the American Revolution because she was black. She was a contralto who sang so beautifully but was not given the basic right to sing at the Hall because of her skin colour so Eleanor Roosevelt( one woman I truly admire) took her name out of that Daughter’s thing and set Marian up to sing in front of the Lincoln Memorial where  over 75,000 people, of many colours came to see her sing. I think Marian is one brave lady and one amazing singer.

3. SISTER SUFFRAGETTE SUNG BY GLYNIS JOHNS-1964


This was sung by Glynis, Hermione Badderly and Reta Shaw but I just love Glynis who just passed away a couple of months ago at 100 years old. She played the wife of  George, a banker and strict husband and dad to the 2 kids who will soon be cared for by Mary Poppins. In the film she is all for women’s rights and she sings this song with the other 2 ladies and I always liked it.

Oops, I usually do my which one won the Oscar song…completely forgot so I will do that next week.


10 comments:

  1. Yes, women are strong. My mother was born in '31 and we often talked about what it was like for her, and the women in her life. The stories were amazing and heart breaking, yet so inspiring.
    The video of Marian Anderson gave me chills. Thank you for sharing these incredible women with us.
    With smiles, Jenny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, our moms went through so much. I'm glad there is some talking about Anderson beforehand

      Delete
  2. There's are reasons we aren't equal physically but it doesn't mean we aren't equal. God gave each sex a special set of genes but in His eye we're equal. One not better than the other but designed to compliment and strengthen the other. Humans are too narrow minded and fail to see the big picture. Thanks for joining the 4M party. Have a boogietastic week, Birgit! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. Too bad people are not liberal in their thinking regarding that we are equal in our own...forte

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the mention! I love the Annie Lennox / Aretha Franklin duet, always have. I haven’t seen Mary Poppins since I was a child, and had never seen the Marian Anderson clip. So interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome and I had to mention you because you gave me the inspiration. I taped the special on Marian Anderson and still need to see it.

      Delete
  4. OMGosh, the story of Marian Anderson brought tears to my eyes. Thank you so much for sharing. Hugs, Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are a number of suffragette sites in my native New York State that I've been privileged to visit, and for years I worked next door to a church with a role in the movement that I wasn't even aware of until about five years ago. I loved the first song. For Marian Anderson's performance (the video you posted was mainly a documentary) I found this newsreel but it, also, only has a small part of her performance. I'm not sure you'll be able to view it, either. https://youtu.be/XF9Quk0QhSE?si=C3G5loO_C4QkJOYf

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, it is alot of talking but I like that and that you still hear her sing. Thanks for the other video too.

    ReplyDelete