Thursday, July 18, 2024

Let’s Talk Sports

 


I’m late writing this so I will try and make it brief. I wrote about music revolving around sports and I thought, why not do something regarding sports. I thought, rather than sports movies, I’ll talk about sports people who ended up in movies and here we go…

1. TARZAN AND HIS MATE-1934


I miss watching the Tarzan movies which used to always be on TV when I was young. This is the 2nd film in the series made before the Hays Office really clamped down on their idiotic censorship. You have the upper crust Englishmen wanting to grab elephant tusks at their grave yard plus try to convince Jane to come back home. Before Jane and Tarzan wore respectable garments, their clothing was much more revealing and they even skinny dipped. Johnny Weissmuller is still the perfect Tarzan, to me. He was an Olympic gold champion in swimming and you can see him swim in this film and all the others. These early films are the best and should be seen.

2. SUN VALLEY SERENADE-1941


Sonja Henie…who? She was a gold medalist, I think, 3 times, in figure skating and her influence is still felt to this day like wearing white skates. She was a huge influence in the world of figure skating but she did, rightfully, get some major flack, when she gave the Nazi salute during the Berlin Olympics meeting Hitler. All that aside, Hollywood beckoned and she was quite the novelty playing Norwegian nymphs who figure skate her way into mens’ hearts. In this film, she is supported by John Payne who plays her love interest. I love that the Nicholas Brothers are in this film who are brilliant dancers that defy reality to dance. Her films can go from one to the other but they are a thrill to see. 

3. MILLION DOLLAR MERMAID-1952


This film stars Esther Williams as Annette Kellerman, a famous Olympic swimmer who ended up in early silent films. Esther Williams, an expert swimmer, who would have been in the Olympics if WW2 didn’t mess up those plans. Esther was quite beautiful so she often played some sort of vixen who could do so much in the water. In fact, she is one reason why we have that weird synchronized swimming. I know it takes a lot of strength and control but it’s just a bit weird. She did most of her stunts breaking her neck once and she almost drowned once. She was under water doing these mermaid like swims when lunch was called and people left but forgot she was underwater. The pool was entirely covered by boards with a trap door but everything was painted black so Esther could not find her escape. A film crew member happened to see her and called others over to get her out of the tank! There was only one Esther Williams.

What movies can you think of? Any sports people that ended up in cinema? Please, no OJ….

12 comments:

  1. Hi, Birgit!

    Me Boy. Mrs. Shady caught me with Girl and called me Cheeta. Like you, I watched those early Tarzan films in my youth when they aired on TV. The scenes in that trailer are all familiar because I watched those jungle adventures over and over again. I agree that the virile, super athletic Johnny Weissmuller was the "real" Tarzan. Other actors who landed the role in Tarzan sequels failed to convince me, particularly Wally Cox, a classic case of miscasting if ever there was one. :) Likewise, Maureen O'Sullivan is the only Jane for me. She was such an elegant, classy beauty, the kind you rarely encounter in show business these days. If you will allow me to go off on a tangent, I want to play Six Degrees and mention a great miniseries I just finished watching. Maureen's daughter Mia Farrow made famous the role of Rosemary Woodhouse in Roman Polanski's 1968 psycho horror film Rosemary's Baby. I just watched the two-part 2014 Rosemary's Baby miniseries that flips the script, changes the setting from Manhattan to Paris and stars the accomplished black actress Zoe Saldaña as Rosemary. Zoe and the miniseries earned Shady's Zeal of Approval.

    "It's gay!" exclaims the voice-over announcer on the trailer for the 1941 musical Sun Valley Serenade. Those same two words are now used to cruelly mock a person or an artistic work. As you know, I am rarely "In The Mood" for a movie musical, The Dirt (2019) being one exception, but I pledge to watch Sun Valley Serenade someday. If I may insert another plug at this point, I encourage you to see a movie that Mrs. Shady and I recently watched entitled Love & Mercy. The 2014 bio drama is loaded with great music, because it focuses on the life of mentally tormented Beach Boys' co-founder and leader Brian Wilson. Love & Mercy co-stars Elizabeth Banks, another exciting actress that I have been closely following lately. I also recently saw Elizabeth starring in the 2022 film Call Jane (no relation to Tarzan's Jane). Set in the 1960s, Call Jane is about an underground network of abortion activists. Recommended!

    I always enjoy watching he-man actor Victor Mature, and for that reason alone, I think I'd enjoy Million Dollar Mermaid starring Esther Williams, not to be confused with Billion Dollar Babies starring Alice Cooper. :) That's a shocking story about everybody going to lunch and leaving Esther trapped in a water tank!

    If you are ruling out O.J. (star of the Naked Gun series), then let me name pro basketball star Kareem Abdul-Jabbar cast as First Officer Roger Murdock in the hilarious 1980 air disaster comedy film Airplane!

    Well, I'm off the see the Wizard, disappearing from blogging until August 11. Please take good care of yourself, dear friend BB, and give hugs and smooches aplenty to my buddy Harley and my new sweetie-pie Lexie until we reconnect at your place and mine next month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BIRGIT ~

    The only one amongst your three selections that I have seen is 'Sun Valley Serenade', and that was strictly for Glenn Miller & his music.

    The first movie that popped into my mind upon reading your post was 'I'M GONNA GIT YOU, SUCKA' which featured Jim Brown, a famous professional football player.

    And that movie prompted me to think of 'BLAZING SADDLES' which also featured a famous NFL player, Alex Karras, as 'Mongo'.

    And then there's my all-time #1 favorite "guilty pleasure" movie 'HOLLYWOOD OR BUST', the Martin & Lewis comedy that included Maxie Rosenbloom, who had been a professional boxer.

    ~ D-FensDogG

    ReplyDelete
  3. POSTSCRIPT:
    Ooh! I just thought of another really goot juan: 'THE LONGEST YARD' (1974) which included Ray Nitschke, another famous NFL player!

    ~ D'DogG

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where do you find these movies? I'd love to have access to all these old favorites of long ago. I absolutely adored Tarzan movies, but my mother didn't as she thought they were too risque for her young daughters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the twist to this idea. I do remember Sonja Henie. I was introduced to her films via the one she did with the 3 Stooges. It's funny to watch her now. She was such a spinner. Nowadays figure skating is all about the jumps. The sport has certainly changed.

    Sports stars in film? Hmmm... I do remember Kareem Abdul-Jabbar in the Airplane! movie. I see in a prior comment Alex Karras is mentioned. If memory serves, he was in Victor/Victoria. I love that movie. Nothing else immediately comes to mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Birgit - I don't know if these apply ... but so be it: Four Minute Mile in Oxford in 1954 with Roger Bannister; and then Chariots of Fire ... appropriately arising from the 1924 Paris Olympics - my two-penny worth - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Johnny Weissmuller was definitely Tarzan and vice versa:)
    Have a great weekend.
    Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was a fun way to take this category!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW, that's really scary to read the story about Ester Williams being trapped under water when the crew forgot her and took lunch! I liked the synchronize swimming when I was little. I thought it was interesting. Sun Valley Serenade looks like a fun film. There's a vintage pinup girl design of a figure skater that I've seen who reminds me a bit of Sonja Henie but I just didn't know it at the time until now. I liked watching Tarzan films as a kid. Thanks for sharing these old films with me. Have a boogietastic week, Birgit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, I forgot to add my sport movie picks "Rocky", which I don't know if we've seen and "We Are Marshall" which is about the WV college football team killed in an airplane crash in the 1970. These came to mind right off.

      Delete
  10. OMG. They forgot Esther Williams and left her under water? Seriously scary.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Vinnie Jones (English football) in Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. An amazing movie chock full of stellar performances and he still came darn close to stealing the show.

    Andre the Giant (professional wrestling - I know, questionable as a "sport") in The Princess Bride.

    ReplyDelete