It’s summer vacation for many right now since it is summer, the kids are out of school and parents take off to Disney, any amusement park, go camping or swim in a nearby pool, lake or ocean, for many of poor slobs, we are still working and punching in the clock. I decided to use the theme of the working man and here are my picks…
1. THE CROWD-1928
This is one of my favourite films about the average Joe who marries, starts a family and works trying to support them over highs and great lows! It stars the tragic James Murray as Everyman working in the cog of life. His fellow worker and friend suggests they double date and go to Coney Island. James meets his blind date, played by Eleanor Boardman( married to the director, King Vidor) and is immediately so smitten that, at the end of their date, he proposes and she accepts. Her brothers and mother disapprove of the union and his wife wonders why her husband does not move up in his workplace like his friend. They have 2 children while he tries to make ends meet. When something horrible happens, he is thinking of suicide but he is brought back from that ledge to continue living. This is a great film made near the end of the silent movie era. James Murray catapulted to stardom, but could not handle the fame ending up as a bum on skid row, dying from alcoholism. The director, King Vidor offered him a role in his movie but the actor told him off and disappeared. King Vidor wanted to make a movie about this man but never had the chance. Eleanor Boardman, I watched her interviews in the 13 part documentary on “Hollywood” and she is someone I would not want to know. She dissed Garbo in a prejudicial manner and mentioned this film. She was hoping to wear beautiful gowns and look glamorous only to be in this film wearing dowdy clothes and little make-up. I don’t believe she realized what a great movie this is. It is one, I say, is a must see.
2. THE GRAPES OF WRATH-1940
This is another great film that is a must see, but I can’t watch this film over and over. It is one dour film that stars Henry Fonda as Tom Joad, an ex con who comes home just in time to see his family packing up all they own to travel to California. These people, the salt of the earth, have been hit hard by the dustbowl and the Great Depression. They travel to California hearing there are jobs there and embark on their journey. The person holding the family together is Ma Joad, played by Jane Darnell, who keeps the hope even when hope seems to be dead and gone. When they get to California, they get a job picking fruit but are basically slaves to the unscrupulous owners living in shanties and paid very little. Fonda goes to a secret meeting but it ends with his friend, Casey ( played by John Carradine, whom I love), dead and Fonda killing the guard in self-defense. They all leave and wind up at a reputable company with cold and hot running water and toilets which this kids have never seen before. There are. Couple of great scenes where Ma Joad speaks about family and living forward while Henry Fonda has one the greatest speeches that is shown every time one talks about this film. It is not only brilliantly acted but I love the cinematography courtesy of the great Gregg Toland.
3. MARTY-1955
Talk about an every guy, Ernest Borgnine plays a regular butcher who lives with his mom and deals with her, his siblings, and his friends all barrage him for still being single. His mom nags him into going to a ballroom for dancing and meeting people. There he meets Clara, a plain looking school teacher( of course), and they dance and talk the night away. Both are flying high with their romantic pairing until he goes home and finds out his Aunt has moved in and freaked out his mom saying that once Marty marries, mommy will be kicked out. Mom, fearful of this, disses his new gal as well as his friends who further belittle her. Marty lets himself be manipulated by everyone and does not call her as he promised. Thankfully, he starts to see that he is not living for himself but for everyone. He gives a great speech and calls Clara up who wipes her tears away and accepts the call. There are many films made in the 1950s that have this look of black and white blandness. It is not a full on happy film but one which instills hope for the average person. I may not watch this film many times, but I do think it’s another film to watch.
What films make you think of the average Joe…or Jill.?
Hi, Birgit!
ReplyDeleteThroughout my life, I have been drawn to films about the plight of the average Joe. You picked three great examples. I studied Grapes in my college course on the history of the cinema. By that time, Henry Fonda was already one of my favorite actors. Ernie Borgnine is also a favorite of mine, and Marty is another movie screened in my film class at college. I have seen it a couple times since and it always touches me.
While I am not Adam Sandler's biggest fan, one of his movies, Punch-Drunk Love (2002) resonated and has stuck with me. I like it so much that I bought the DVD years ago. The movie co-stars as his love interest the delightful English actress Emily Watson. I get goosebumps when Sandler's "Barry" character assertively delivers the key lines of the film: "I have so much strength in me you have no idea. I have a love in my life. It makes me stronger than anything you can imagine."
I am returning next Monday with a new post at Shady's Place and invite you to join the fun if time permits. Until then, enjoy the rest of your week and weekend, dear friend BB!