Wednesday, July 5, 2023

End of School Song Fest

 


School’s out for summer! This is what I dreamed of doing when I was done with school since I was not a fan. Since school ended last week, I thought this was a perfect time to talk about music with school in mind. I was going to write about a brilliant piece of music, Pink Floyd’s “Another Brick in the Wall” but, I think, I already talked about this song so I chose another I enjoyed. I will sign up to the Monday Music Moves Me post over at Curious As A Cathy since I enjoy it even though this is Wednesday. Here are my picks…

1. SCHOOL’S OUT BY ALICE COOPER-1972

There’s something about Alice Cooper I really like. He intelligent, loves old movies and songs and beats to his own drummer. I my not listen to all his songs but I bloody love this one. 

2. SCHOOL DAYS BY CHUCK BERRY-1957

I always had fun listening to this song and dancing to it and I would dance and dance.

3. HIGH SCHOOL CONFIDENTIAL BY ROUGH TRADE-1980

This was a Canadian anthem for finishing the school year. It was written by Carole Pope and Kevin Staples and sung, brilliantly, by Carole Pope. It got a lot of flack when it was on the airwaves and even censored but, thankfully, it isn’t anymore…at least not in my neck of the woods. 

So there you are. Aside from Pink Floyd, what other school songs would you pick?



9 comments:

  1. Birgit,

    First up, belated happy independency day wishes to you! I can't keep up Canada's holidays. I barely stay on top of ours. lol WOW, school lets out late in your neck of the woods! Do all of the school systems in Canada like this? If so, do the kids return after Labor Day?

    You picked a great theme with some great music. Alice Cooper's "Schools Out" was my elementary classmates' and my anthem with school's dismissal for summer.

    Chuck Berry is a lot of fun. Rough Trade I don't remember but their song title rings a bell.

    Thanks for joining the 4M party. Have a boogietastic week, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you hit the good one's. Ya gotta love Alice Cooper's School's Out. YOU, have a pain free day.
    Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. A few years ago, Emil Ernebro (a guitarist I follow on YouTube) did a song they used to sing at the end of the school year in Sweden, "Den Blomstertid Nu Kommer," which means "The Flower Time Now Comes." He did an instrumental of it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pHCOQ9mtss

    It's really a beautiful song...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That first one gets so much airplay in June!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, there is Van Halen's Hot for Teacher. As for your songs, Chuck Berry's is a classic. As much as School's Out is a classic it also gets overplayed in June. I loved that Rough Trade song. New group to me and what I love is that they are not...well, young. (I'm a senior citizen so definitions of young can vary depending on who you ask.) I can hear exactly why it got censored and I am just surprised that I have not heard it on satellite radio (maybe I'm just listening to the wrong channels).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know I typed a comment for this, but maybe forgot to post it? Oh well, try again...Harley is such a cutie! ♥ I love Alice Cooper! His live shows are so much fun - a real Theatre of the Macabre. ☺ School's Out is always the closing number, and the crowd is on its feet. School Days still gets played on the radio a lot, unlike High School Confidential. Haven't heard that one in a while! I don't remember it ever being censored, though. Carole Pope has a great voice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool songs. And "Teacher, Teacher" by .38 Special is a classic

    ReplyDelete
  8. "See You in September" is playing in my head right now. The Vogues did the hit version I guess. It came out when I was in high school.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adorable dog picture! All ready for summer 🤣🤣

    ReplyDelete