Wednesday, April 3, 2024

April Showers and Flowers and Travel

 


My sweet, beautiful Jade went to the rainbow bridge last Thursday. I was with her when she passed away just before I returned to work after being off work, sick, for 3 days. I knew my sweet tuna loving girl was winding down..it was a tough day and I miss her. She would have been 16 on May 11th and is missed by my hubby and I and our Kaspar and our dog, Harley.

On a nicer note, I decided to post songs about April, a turning point toward springtime and we need a bit of spring.

1.  APRIL IN PARIS SUNG BY DINAH SHORE-1960


This is a great song and one that always makes me want to travel. I always liked this version sung by Dinah even though the famous version is by Ella Fitzgerald and Count Basie. This was written way back in 1932 by Vernon Duke with lyrics by Yip Harburg.

2. APRIL AGAIN SUNG BY DEAN MARTIN-1968


This is a nice song that, apparently, was written by Dino himself. …I think anyway. Please correct me if I am wrong. It is different from the song, “It’s April Again”. I need to listen to both of them when I get a chance to. I just wanted Dean Martin on my list this week.

3. APRIL SHOWERS SUNG BY EYDIE GORME-1958


This song was originally sung by that bombastic narcissist, Al Jolson, back in 1921 and became a big hit. It was written by Louis Silvers with lyrics by B. G. De Silva but many famous people have done renditions of this song. I decided on good ole Eydie, the one half of Steve Lawrence who were a famous married couple and singing couple. I think she was the better singer to be honest.

It’s supposed to rain and maybe, snow, this whole week. April is always pretty wet…

What April songs can you think of.

11 comments:

  1. Sorry about your cat. It is always hard to lose a pet.

    I went to Paris in April 1999. That song stuck in my head all the while I was there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI, Birgit!

    I am stopping in one last time before I vanish for the rest of the month. I am terribly sorry to learn that you lost your kitty Jade, dear friend! She lived a good long life with you, and you will keep fond memories of her always. That's all we can do when our beloved animal companions leave us. Next month it will be one year since we needed to put our black cat Bootsie-Wootsie to sleep.

    I enjoyed the three songs. My folks and I watched Dinah's Chevy Show regularly, and I watched Dean's Golddiggers regularly. My mother loved Dean and she also loved Steve & Eydie. The singing couple made frequent appearances on the music variety TV shows of the period. Steve passed away just last month, while Eydie left this world in 2013.

    Again, please accept my condolences on the death of your beautiful cat Jade. Keep your spirits up, stay well and I will see you at the end of the month, dear friend BB!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry about Jade! Losing a 4-legged family member never gets any easier, but I hope the memories of her will eventually make you smile. ♥

    Lovely selection of songs! Dean Martin is my favourite classic crooner. That song was new to me, but according to Google, it was written by Glen Hardin.

    We had a nasty thunderstorm last night. Very loud! I was still up and Zoey bolted out of the bedroom to jump on the couch next to me. Pouring again now. Yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry for the loss of your dear kitty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to read about Jade. It’s good you were with her at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Birgit, I send my heartfelt condolences at the passing of sweet Jade. It leaves a hole in one's heart when a beloved pet passes on. May all the wonderful memories of her fill that space now.
    Your music selection put a smile on my face, I have enjoyed these songs as well as the month of April for all the beauty it brings.
    With smiles, Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  7. Three classic singers. Thanks for the memories!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear about your cat. I'm sure she was very loved.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry for your loss of Jade. I grew up with cats and very much miss having at least one now. Lovely April song choices ;-) How about "Pieces of April" by Three Dog Night? Have a wonderful April.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sorry for the loss of your precious Jade. Our pets become parts of our families and, although we know their life spans are shorter than ours, it still hurts. I liked your April selection. We missed a bad winter storm yesterday and today by not that much. There's over 700,000 people without power in our part of the United States; we are grateful we are with power. April: April, Come She Will be Simon and Garfunkel. April Love from Pat Boone.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Birgit - so sorry about your Jade - we do miss them don't we, and that won't change. Lovely films about Spring ... those we need - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete