Wednesday, April 24, 2024

Singers/Songwriters Born in April

 

 This could be a big one with a number of musicians born in April including countless singers…where to start!? Curious As A Cathy has a good theme this week. So, I hope you like my picks…

1. ELMER BERNSTEIN  BORN APRIL 4, 1922-THE GREAT ESCAPE-1963


I love this song from a great movie that was a who’s who of great stars. Elmer Bernstein is most famous for this theme and  The Magnificent Seven but he did so much more including True Grit ( I almost chose this theme), Animal House and Ghostbusters.

2. HENRY MANCINI BORN APRIL 16, 1924- THEME FROM HATARI-1962


The Baby Elephant Walk is the most famous from this score but I enjoy all of it. I am sad about the animals that are 5ake n for zoos but that’s how it was back in the day. It’s a fun film and I do love the baby elephants.

3. CHARLIE CHAPLIN BORN APRIL16, 1889-SMILE FROM MODERN TIMES


This man is still known as the little tramp and one of the funniest during the silent era and beyond. He could  act, write, direct and compose songs with this song being one of his most famous. Lyrics were added later but not by Chaplin so I decided to just keep the music on this one.

I have to do a couple more

1. THE WINNER TAKES IT ALL BY ABBA-1980


Agnetha Faltskog( the blonde one) was born on April 5, 1950  and her one time husband, Bjorn Ulvaeus, another part of the famous group, ABBA, helped create this song which Agnetha sang brilliantly. 

2. TILAK SHYAM PERFORMED BY RAVI SHANKAR-1970 


It’s late so I’m too tired to search for the original year this song was created so I chose when this great musician performed it on the Ed Sullivan show. The first time I saw Ravi Shankar, born on April 7, 1920, was on the documentary on Woodstock( the best documentary) and I was enthralled. I found out, later, that the Beatles became interested in his music especially George Harrison. He is a great musician with this lovely instrument called the sitar.

OK, I’m done, so what singer/songwriter can you think of? 

10 comments:

  1. Great collection of mewsic and mewsicians here, Birgit, we can't make a choice today, as we all liked them. Did you know that Björn Ulvaeus also was born in April, the 25th? Now tell us who's that sweet doggie? He's really cute😻Double Pawkisses for a Happy Day🐾😽💞

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is our Harley... he is a big suck and so jealous when our pussy cat stays with us o the chesterfield. I'm glad you like my picks.

      Delete
  2. I love Henry Mancini's work and Charlie Chaplin was such an interesting fellow. It wasn't until recent years that I learned that he was more than actor. ABBA was such a phenomena in the 70s. They had a short career run but their music is still quite the sensation. Wonderful picks! Have a boogietastic week, Birgit! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ABBA mainly are the 70s but their music is so iconic. I'm glad you like my choices and, yes, Chaplin could do it all...just about.

      Delete
  3. I remember when the Beatles went through their Ravi Shankar phase of music and interest in Hinduism and all things Indian. Today is my grandson's birthday, wonder if he will grow up to be a musician? I doubt it. My guess is a scientist or a school teacher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You never know! I. Glad you like my list especially Ravi whom the Beatles really liked.

      Delete
  4. I fell in love with the sound of the sitar when the Beatles and Rolling Stones incorporated it into their music. I enjoyed your selections today, especially Smile. My April musician nomination would be Loretta Lynn (although she is deceased), although I am not a fan of country music. She was both a talented singer and songwriter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, she is a good choice even though I, too, am not into country.

      Delete
  5. Ella Fitzgerald's birthday is Thursday...

    ReplyDelete