Wednesday, May 8, 2024

Latin Music Cha Cha Cha

 


Monday Music Moves Me is going Latin! This is one fun challenge that I may keep doing next week. I love Latin music because it’s so infectious and fun plus just beautiful. Cathy over at Curious As A Cathy, has showcased her Latin music plus she has the links to everyone who has joined in on the fun. 

1. CHICA CHICA BOOM CHIC SUNG BY CARMEN MIRANDA AND DON AMECHE-1941


This song was written by Harry Warren and Mack Gordon  which is from  the 1941 film, “ That Night In Rio”  sung by the Brazilian Bombshell, Carmen Miranda. During the 1940s, Hollywood  fell in love with everything Latin. Many musicals, starring Betty Grable, Don Ameche, Tyrone Power etc..would take place, either in Mexico or Rio and you could count on Carmen Miranda and her tutti frutti hat to give it her all in some great singing wearing very outlandish outfits. She was over the top but she was famous and, at one point, the highest paid woman in the U. S. Sadly, she died at 47 from a heart attack but I always smile when I see a Chiquita banana.

2. BRAZIL PERFORMED BY XAVIER CUGAT-1955


This is a famous piece of music written by Ary Barroso in 1931. There are so many renditions of this song that it’s hard to know which one to pick but Xavier Cugat was the first name that came into my head ( call me strange) so I looked to see if he did a version and he did! I always found this man gentle in my eyes.

3. GRANADA SUNG BY DESI ARNAZ -1953


I have to showcase Desi and could have gone with his signature tune, “Babaloo”  but I really loved when he sang this famous song, written by Augustin Lara in 1932. In fact, I find his rendition one of the best and find it enchanting.

Which Latin songs can you think of. Have you ever danced the Tango?

13 comments:

  1. Xavier Cugat was married to Charo. But you know that.

    SecondHandSongs is a good place to find who covered a song, both vocal and instrumental. "Brazil" has beeen covered many, many times...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall check out Second hand songs. Yes, I knew they were married.

      Delete
  2. I always enjoyed the times when Desi appeared on the show with his band. Latin music is upbeat and happy, and great for dancing to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you in Everything

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. It’s a famous song often done by opera singers famously, the 3 tenors but I always loved the way Desi sang it

      Delete
  4. I have been loving this theme on all the blogs that participated, but only yours made me think of the Chiquita Banana Song. It's been forever and ever since I've heard it so of course after I comment I'll be looking for it on You Tube. I also enjoyed Desi a lot. Yes, please, continue on next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will do a bit for next week but it’s my “Which one won the Oscar” post but I hope to continue on.

      Delete
  5. Hi sis, putting a more modern spin on Latin-infused music, I have to mention the band Santana. Rock-and-roll kids may not have known the first thing about traditional Latin music but they were sure familiar with Oye Como Va. And another band I absolutely have to see live one day before they age out is Los Lobos. There is so much more to them than the remake of La Bamba.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Birgit's brother! I'm with you on Santana and Los Lobos. Both great. ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿป

      Delete
    2. It’s your sis! Glad to see you back here…. I really like Santana and, in fact, I ballroom danced to this song…the Cha Cha Cha. It was fun! Los Lobos is much more than just the remake of this song. Glad Debbie agrees with you as she is a major music aficionado like you especially the great Rock of the 60s and 70s plus much more

      Delete
  6. I also love Latin music and those are some great old ones, Birgit, especially Granada. ♥ And your brother mentioned two favourite contemporary artists. Another good one is Gloria Estefan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you and Gloria is also excellent.

      Delete