Wednesday, September 2, 2026

End of Summer= Back to School= Yuck!

 


I am 62 years old and, when I see and hear back to school commercials, I still get the heebie-jeebies. When my mom would say how much she could not wait to go back to school, I just looked to her as if she was some freak. So, I wondered if there are any songs about the he’ll of going back to school. I wish there was one that came close to my feeling of dreck, but I came up with these 3 and joined the wonderful Monday Music Moves Me, on Wednesday.

1. ANOTHER BRICK IN THE WALL BY PINK FLOYD-1979


This is a great song about the harsh way teachers and administrators dealt with kids. The worst I got was having to stand in the corner, I think I was in grade 2…My hubby was one who would get the strap or the ruler but he knew what to do. Pull out a hair from your head and place it on your palm of your hand. When the ruler, or strap, came down, it would cut and blood would show and the disciplinarians would have to stop. Ahhh, school. 

2. SCHOOL DAYS BY CHUCK BERRY-1957

This is just a fun song that I love and thought it was quite right….i hoped I would pass. Chuck was cool.

3.  HIGHWAY TO HELL BY AC/DC-1979

This doesn’t have anything to do with school, but I always thought about it when I knew I had to go back. I do believe, strongly, in education but I hated the system, the constant bullying and some teachers were horrible but typical teachers for the day. In my day, we had teachers who would look down the girls’ tops and the “popular” girls knew so they unbuttoned their tops and, yes, they got As. We had teachers who believed in  Hitler and would walk up and down the aisle with the  big ruler smoking it down on any kids’  desk. Oh and the ones who would throw the chalk or eraser at you if they felt you were talking. 

Yeah, I guess I’m a bit jaded:) Wht songs can you think of about your school years?



2 comments:

  1. And at the opposite end is Alice Cooper's School's Out.
    Now that I am also in my sixties and well past school age I think all kids should have year-round school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You sure went to some horrible schools, Birgit! I do remember teachers using the strap and rular in elementary school, but thank goodness, was never personally affected. Love that AC/DC tune. Here's a school song for you, from a great Canadian band:
    High School Confidential

    ReplyDelete