Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Inspiring Blog Award & My Mommy's Birthday

I have been nominated by 2 wonderful fellow bloggers, Sharon Himsl and Cherdo (on the Flipside) who have wonderful blogs that I love to read. They are so interesting and inspiring  so I decided that my mom's birthday was the perfect time to showcase this award.

I have been asked to write 3 things that have inspired me these past few weeks and I have to say it is difficult for me  to have just 3 because I can even be inspired by the morons we see on the TV every day (Grammy's come to mind) since they inspire me of what I don't want to be or do. I am inspired by chocolate because it is luscious and divine but this is food so it gets just a special mention.  So on to my first!

My Mommy:) I have included a picture of her from the 50's when she owned her restaurant in Toronto


 and here is a recent picture of her at Christmas in the long term care home she now resides in.


Her love of music, art, laughter, fun and her unending love for her children (me and my bro) has inspired me beyond mere words. She has survived bombings, fire, rape, being shot at, starvation, escaping to the West (Germany),a severe brain injury, an abusive first husband, travelling to an unknown land all before she was 30. She found a loving man(my dad) and created a beautiful home filled with memories no person can take away. She has always been my rock. Her love of freedom and speaking ones' mind has made me love her all the more. Even though dementia has robbed her of some of her memories and her ability to be on her own she still can laugh and wear a funny hat on her head. I hope, one day, she can forgive me for needing to place her in a home that can care for her, I have  a hard time forgiving myself but that is the norm I think. Oh, she turns 87 today!

2- I am inspired, every day, by my husband who laughs with me, protects me  and can drive me nuts but he is my hubby. I am inspired by my friends who stay with me through thick and thin and know all my dirty secrets and I am inspired by my fellow bloggers who have taken the leap and have written books and have not taken "No" for an answer. They see the positive even when things don't look that way to them and always give encouragement-how nice is that!

3. I am inspired by creating. I love card making and love looking at other card makers and what they can do with their artistic talent. I  am humbled by their creative touch. Below is my card about gratitude


I used cuddlebug, dye pads and bronze perfect pearls for the background. Stamped the bounty and coloured it with gamsol pencils. Stamped the saying. placed everything on papers (blue and burnt orange), added the ribbon, grape metal piece and butterfly. 

Craft Your Passion-Anything Goes

Now I am to nominate some people so here are a few (it's supposed to be 15 but I am naming a few)

Vidya Sury-She is herself inspiring and I made this card thinking of her. Did I make you smile Vidya?
Robyn Engel-You are so funny and full of life, I enjoy your blog.
Drew-A Fistful of Films- All about film baby! He has great taste and love his blog-have to check him out
Kevyn Knox-Loves film, Comics and has a unique look at things and never short for words
Asha Martins-Great card-maker and so creative and a lover of animals-Go Rosie!
Becca Cruger- Started blogging in the fall about her card making and does she ever deliver! Great card maker who loves her Grandmom and I believe is her inspiration:)
Susie Mac-A great teller of takes about her daily life from her hubzam to her Mama and a great photographer
Anabel Marsh-She travels with her hubby everywhere and brings so much to light about what she has seen and experienced-love the pics

OK There we have it.  So here are the instructions....

Rules for the Nominees:1. Thank the person who nominated you, and link to their blog.
2. Display the award logo.
3. Nominate 15 other bloggers (more or less) and provide a link where they may be found.
4. Go to their blog, leave a comment to let them know they have been nominated.
5. Mention three things that inspired you the most during the past few weeks.


If you don't want to do this, I am not offended but I just wanted to name you all and hope some will check you out:) Have a fabulous day everyone!


62 comments:

  1. Can't go wrong with that kind of inspiration. Hope your mom has a great birthday. Agreed, the idiots on tv show you what not to be

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She will have a quiet day but we shall celebrate on the weekend

      Delete
  2. Figs and Wine.... I cannot imagine what Vidya must be thinking! I am honoured to be mentioned along with some pretty awesome bloggers. Your card is opulent, decadent and would make Bacchus very proud! A great big hug from Rosie to you!
    hugs, Asha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh they are figs-lol-I thought they were...well never mind. Glad Bacchus is proud:)

      Delete
  3. This post is inspiring! I love what you had to say about your husband especially, because that's pretty much how I feel about the wife...LOL.

    And thank you so much for the nomination and the link, and for being such a steady supporter of my blog :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you-ahhh for spouses who just are the bees knees.

      Delete
  4. Birgit - your humor and your writing always inspires me. It especially inspires me to laugh! Thank you for bringing such sunshine into my life. And thank you for the nomination, I'm honored!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday to your mom, Birgit! Such a beautiful woman at any age! I hope she has a great day. Don't forget guilty for having her be in a place where she is safe and cared for. I can see why she is such an inspiration to you; to have lived the life that she did and still is able to smile a beautiful smile!

    Love the card!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard because she has always been there for me and she lived with me until we could no longer care for her the way she needed to be cared for. Tough decision

      Delete
  6. Wow! Your mom sounds like an incredible woman. No wonder she inspires you. Many birthday wishes for her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the part about your mother. It makes me want to know more about her struggles. I think thou should plan a huge Motther's Day post. Thanks for a great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has many stories and it makes her a true survivor

      Delete
  8. Congratulations on receiving the blogger award, Birgit. Today is really special. Happy birthday to your Mom, she looks happy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations! Your mother sounds like a strong woman but loving woman.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're a kick in the pants, in the best of ways. I love your humor, Birgit. Thank you kindly for the award.

    I hope you'll forgive if I don't run with this. I used to do the awards thing, but I've gotten kinda tired of it. I hope this doesn't make me an ungrateful *bleep.*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no worries:) I don't expect for people to do the award-the award is enough:) Nothing to forgive:)

      Delete
  11. Happy Birthday to your Mama!

    Do you two get told often how much you resemble each other? Your Mama is wonderfully strong! I hope that the memories she can no longer remember are the worse ones.

    Thanks for the award, Birgit! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we do! People say i look alot like her but when I am in my dad's small home town they all know i am my dad's daughter!-I got both features I guess

      Delete
  12. Congrats on your award. This must be really exciting for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for the mention, Birgit, it's great to be appreciated. I always look forward to your comments, so thanks for being such a faithful reader of my blog. Your Mom looks lovely in both pictures - what terrible things she has survived. I hope she has had a lovely birthday. My Mum is 88 so just a little ahead. She's inspiring too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look at your mom! I hope she is well and love your blog

      Delete
  14. What a beautiful post. And what a fitting tribute to your wonderful mom. I'm sure she's very proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe she is. She always said so before the dementia set in

      Delete
  15. You don't need to feel bad about putting your mom in a home. That was probably the best thing you could do for her. She's getting constant care from professionals who know what they're doing. And I bet you visit her frequently. That's plenty good enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I visit 4 times per week and I know it is the right thing and she is getting great care. Actually when she went to the long term care facility she was only 78lbs...now she is 131!

      Delete
  16. Happy birthday to your mom. She's adorable! In her younger picture, she looks a little like Lucille Ball!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so because of the hair cut! She looks best in that hair cut and she did do some antics that would make Ms Ball proud

      Delete
  17. Happy birthday to your mom! I'm sure that in her heart she understands why you needed to put her where she is. I've been reading a lot about memory loss in elderly, dementia, depression in the elderly, etc. in the last couple of days... Unfortunately my mom (she's 80) is having some memory problems. Your mom is adorable in both pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very difficult time when one sees the memory begin to slip from someone you love. I was the main caregiver and if you will be for your mom, it will be a difficult road. Emotions run the gamut when dealing with this maddening disease. It is nice that my mom can still smile

      Delete
  18. Lovely people to be inspired by. And it shows in the beautiful cards you create.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are the sweetest, Birgit. Yes, when I was done wiping my tears, I did smile. Such a beautiful card! I am honored you thought of me when you made it - and I am going to treasure that feeling in my heart as a special treat for those times when I need a little lifting up.

    Thank you! I appreciate you very much!

    I wish you'd write that book about your Mom! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I did think of you and you are full of gratitude and you have a bounty in riches of words from the heart. I thought a bounty food can show this

      Delete
  20. Wow, your mom is beautiful! And what a life story. It DOES need to be written, you know :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...I am bad and I have been thinking of doing a quick write up here of one small part that happened to her

      Delete
  21. That was a beautiful post, Birgit, and you have made a beautiful card to go along with it! I loved your warm and heartfelt tribute to your exceptional mom! Trust me, knowing all she's been through in her life, she forgives you and you need to forgive yourself because you would only do what is best for her. I love your nominations, too!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much:) I am thinking of what is best for her. Thank you too about my card:)

      Delete
  22. Congratulations for the well-deserved award. Your Mom is beautiful, and what a lovely smile she has! Perhaps it comes from that rare mix of inner strength and a quiet calm. What an inspiring woman! Happy birthday to her. The card is lovely, as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has great strength and can be calm when she wants to be but she is a true spitfire:) Her smile is always fun

      Delete
  23. Congratulations Birgit, and what a wonderful tribute to your mom and wonderful post.

    Hugs Diane

    ReplyDelete
  24. You mom is beautiful. She has the most amazing smile! I think those who have been through a lot in their lives are the best inspirations. Also, I really love that card - awesome job!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right about being inspired by people who have gone through a lot in their lives. She has and thank you about my card:)

      Delete
  25. Sounds like you've got a wonderful husband and a great marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Based on your blog pic, you look so much like that pic of your mom from the 50's! Sounds like you've gotten lots of other wonderful things from your mom. You are blessed :-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Happy Birthday to your mom! It sounds like she has lead an eventful life. Hope you're writing down the details of her life.

    Arlee Bird
    A to Z Challenge Co-host
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am writing this down:) Her life could be made into a movie! I am not kidding..I mean she met Hitler for heaven's sake and was part of the German Resistance and blew up bridges to halt the German army

      Delete
  28. Many people who have gone through such devastating events, become bitter and detached. Your mom sounds like a wonderful person with a big heart, and a great sense of humor! I'm sorry that she's suffering from dementia. Wish your mom a very happy birthday from me! Your hubby is also a keeper! I truly believe in most cases, good attracts good! Congrats on your award, Birgit!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much about my hubby and me. My mom was not bitter. She was more protective than anything and that is to be expected

      Delete
  29. Loved reading about your mom! And the pics are wonderful. You were definitely a worthy recipient of this award. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a beautiful card.So rich and luxurious.A treasure for your friend.Hope your Mom had a great birthday.She sounds a remarkable lady.Thanks for joining us at Craft Your Passion.Hope to see you again next week.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  31. Happy Birthday to your sweet mom! She looks so festive in her blue crown.
    Your card is stunning! I love your use of gold and the blue and burnt orange together are a happy, unexpected surprise! Stay warm, Birgit!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your mother is truly deserving of the honor and tribute. A very Happy Birthday to her! When you said she had owned a restaurant in the '50s that was incredible enough, but when you said she had escaped Germany, etc., I wanted to read her story. Time to write that down if you haven't already :) I hope you can forgive yourself too. It's not an easy decision from what I've observed, and I can tell you are a loving daughter. The card is one of you best :)

    ReplyDelete