Wednesday, November 2, 2022

Sex!

 


Did I get your attention?? I just went to a Happy Birthday celebration of a dear friend of mine who turned the big 60 and he is a Scorpio....the Sex sign...lol. It made me think about sex in songs of which there are a ton and I'd love to know which songs you think about. I ended up thinking of Studio 54, the famous club of the 1970s where the staff had to, literally, hose down the sofas from all the sex on them from the night before. Big celebrity names went there and Disco was the rage. So, here we go....

1. YOU CAN LEAVE YOUR HAT ON SUNG BY TOM JONES- 1997

This is a song from 1972, written by Randy Newman, who wanted to create a song  that just seemed outlandish. It was made famous by Joe Cocker, (what an apt last name) but I went with Tom Jones who recorded this version for the film, “ The Full Monty”. I thought it was a good version since so many women threw their underwear at him when Tom Tom sang.

2. YOU SEXY THING BY HOT CHOCOLATE-1975

I remember this song back in the day and thought it funny and now, I I still find it funny but a good song to dance to. It was written by the lead singer, Errol Brown and  bassist, Tony  Wilson and became a great song to strip to not that I ever did. This was also in the very funny movie, “ The Full Monty.”

3. LOVE, LOVE TO LOVE YOU BABY SUNG BY DONNA SUMMER-1975

This was written by Italian, Georgio Moroder and created a big sensation because it sounds like Donna is having a very good time with herself. I decided on the shortened version but the 17 minute version became very famous. 

I could have gone in so many different directions but the 70s Disco Era called to me.

Which songs do you think of when you think of Sex?

10 comments:

  1. Hi, Birgit!

    Happy Song Day and happy 60th b-day to your friend. Yessum, I often think back to those happy, carefree years of my life.... when I was only 60. :) FYI - I too am a Scorpio, and I prefer that you send me cash on my special day rather than a fruitcake.

    I couldn't help noticing that this week's topic is sex songs. I admit that I think about a sex song every seven seconds. :)

    I like your choices. The Tom Jones number is new to my ears, but I know the other two and had them in my record collection. I'm miffed, because guys like Tom Jones can get away with singing lyrics like:

    Baby, take off your coat
    Real slow
    And take off your shoes
    I'll take off your shoes
    Baby, take off your dress
    Yes, yes, yes

    .... but when I sang that song at Wal-mart the other day, security wrestled me to the ground.

    Here are my picks in the category:

    "Pillow Talk" is a 1973 sizzler by Sylvia (Sylvia Vanderpool Robinson, founder of Sugar Hill Records). Throughout the recording, Sylvia makes sexy sounds similar to those made by Donna Summer in the song you posted, "Love To Love You Baby."

    "Sexual Healing" is a 1982 hit by Marvin Gaye that ranks high on Rolling Stone's list of 500 Greatest Songs of All Time. The song is described by People Magazine as: "America's hottest pop-culture turn-on" since Olivia Newton-John's single "Physical."

    "Turn Off the Lights" is a 1979 hit by Teddy Pendergrass. Wiki explains: Regarded as one of Pendergrass's famous "bedroom ballads," the song involves the narrator who gently tells his mate to "turn off the lights" in order for both to enjoy the intimate pleasures.

    "Sexyback" is Justin Timberlake's naughty hit 2006 single with, as one critic described, "sex-crazed lyrics" that include whips, shackles and twerking.

    "Let's Put The X In Sex" by Kiss, the lead single from the band's 1988 greatest hits album Smashes, Thrashes & Hits, has been compared to Robert Palmer's "Addicted to Love," another song that fits your theme.

    Have a great day, dear friend BB. I'll be sittin' in the balcony and waiting for you tamale-- "At The Movies!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can think of a lot of hair metal bands that sang about sex.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday to your friend! I did not know that Scorpio was the sex sign, but yes, that got my attention. ☺ Your songs brought back a lot of memories. We went to a couple of Tom Jones concerts in the 70s and saw some underwear as well as keys flying onto the stage. The man has a certain charm! Led Zeppelin had some sexy songs, as did Eric Burdon. Check this one out: Rock Me Baby

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Pillow Talk" by Sylvia and "Jungle Fever" by Thhe Chakachas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know that Randy Newman wrote You Can Leave Your Hat On. I love The Full Monty. Tom was the sexiest thing. His voice alone exudes sex. Alexa tells me he's 82 years old. He's probably still good looking. Songs that have me thinking about sex: Let's Get It On, Let's Talk About Sex, and The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face, which is also a very romantic song.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are all great choices! I know it’s not exactly what you mean, but ANYTHING by Leonard Cohen makes me thing about sex 😊

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh I wrote pm ... must have been thinking about something else!
    now I'll recomment:
    Hi Birgit - well that was a shock for 8.00 am!!!! I'd agree with everyone - I'm sure there are Dylan songs too ... but You Can Leave your Hat on ... is one of the best - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete