Wednesday, May 24, 2023

Who Won the Oscar 1968

 


1968 seems like a good year to pick for this month so that’s what I went with. Nothing special why I chose this year so let’s see if you can choose who won the Oscar, who was nominated and who got nuttin’ honey. BTW, I'm entering this ro the Monday Music Moves Me hosted by Cathy from Curious as a Cathy.

1. CHITTY, CHITTY, BANG, BANG- SUNG BY DICK VAN DYKE & SALLY ANN HOWES

This song, composed, is famous and justly so because it is fun! It’s infectious and it plays more than once in the fun, family film of the same name that stars Penis Van Lesbian, er, I mean, Dick Van Dyke and the lovely Sally Ann Howes who has a very pretty voice. 

2. WHO KNOWS WHERE THE TIME GOES- SUNG BY JUDY COLLINS

Judy has such a beautiful voice and was part of the folk music scene of the 60s  but sang a lovely song, written by Sandy Denny, from the film, “The Subject Was Roses” starring Patricia Neal. This was the first film she made, winning an Oscar might I add, after suffering a debilitating stroke while pregnant 3 years earlier. The doctors thought she would never walk again never mind working gain and memorizing lines. This lady had quite the life and her autobiography is one to read because this gal went through some very difficult moments in her long life. I actually think she is pretty inspiring.

3.  WINDMILLS OF YOUR MIND SUNG BY NOEL HARRISON

This song, composed by Michael Legrand with lyrics by Alan and Marilyn Bergman, comes from the film,  “The Thomas Crown Affair”, starring those 2 docile , likeable actors Steve McQueen and Faye Dunaway. Actually, they are notorious for being the most obnoxious people to ever have to work with. This song was famously sung by Dusty Springfield but also sung by many others as well as known just by its music.

So can you guess which won won, which was nominated and which one came up empty?


11 comments:

  1. This is a fun look back. I wouldn't remember who won that year, but it's fun to see. Maybe next week you'll pick another year. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Birgit!

    I need to keep my comment brief this morning, dear friend. I have two morning appointments and a full day of packing ahead. Thanks for understanding!

    I remember "Windmills" being sung by every Tom (except me) Dick and Harry back then, and my first instinct was that it had to be the irresistible pick to win the top song prize. But I changed my mind, as my final answer will reveal.

    "Chitty Chitty" was also ubiquitous, but more of a novelty number, and my first instinct was to guess that it was the nominated song. I changed my mind, as my final answer will reveal.

    I never heard of song #2, "Who Knows Where The Time Goes," and therefore originally didn't think it won or was even nominated. I changed my mind on that one as well.

    So, my final answer is that "Chitty Chitty" won Best Song, "Who Knows Where The Time Goes" was nominated, and "Windmills," although very popular and oft covered, was snubbed.

    I always enjoy this guessing game. As I reminded you in my latest email, I have a guessing game of my own in the current post at Shady's Place entitled "Call Girls." It expires two days from now, so if you'd like to visit, play the game and give me your impression of my new series, I'd love to have you over.

    Enjoy the rest of your week, dear friend BB!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Birgit,

    I loved the film "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" as a kid! The first time I heard anything by Judy Collins is her cover of "Amazing Grace". She did such a beautiful job on it, too. We saw the movie "The Thomas Crown Affair". It seems we thought it was too slow paced to suit us. "Windmills of Your Mind" is a lovely song. I have no clue how the Oscars played out. I watched the show some when I was younger but haven't in decades. We partly based our movie picks on such things but after a few turkeys, we decided to just take a gamble ourselves on on what we watch because obviously the award is based on opinion and the Oscars panel's opinion didn't match ours. Thanks for sharing. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, I have no idea. I'll go with "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" not being nominated. I'll say the 2nd one won all the marbles. But those are just guesses. 1968 is just a smidge before my time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Windmills won, Chitty Chitty lost and while I saw the Patricia Neal film, I do not remember that song so I guess it wasn't nominated. Or, I could be wrong, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Windmills of your mind" won, "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" was nominated, and "Who knows where the time goes" wasn't nominated.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm closing my eyes to other commenters, all of whom will know more than I do. I am going to guess, based on my limited knowledge - Windmills of Your Mind the winner, Who Knows Where the Time Goes nominated and the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang song passed over. Now let's peek....well, I got one right. Let's put it this way - I only found out last week (a question on Jeopardy) that Ian Fleming wrote the story that Chitty Chitty Bang Bang was based on. Too bad, in a way, because that is one beautiful performance by Judy Collins. And meanwhile, I just found out that Tina Turner has joined the artists in Rock and Roll Heaven - RIP, Tina.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Steve McQueen being obnoxious to work with doesn't surprise me. I had no idea about Faye Dunaway. Have a great one.
    Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Birgit,

    I know for a certainty that Windmills of Your Mind is an Oscar winner, so that's that.

    I'd guess Chitty Chitty Bang Bang was tipped and Who Knows Where the Time Goes wasn't though it is a much more beautiful song than CCBB. Judy Collins does have a gorgeous haunting voice doesn't she.

    By the way while I completely agree Patricia Neal was a positive inspiration for the fortitude she showed in the face of all the adversity life threw at her she didn't win the Oscar for The Subject Was Roses. She was nominated but this was the year of the only actress tie in Oscar history when Kate Hepburn (who didn't show) most deservedly won for The Lion in Winter and Barbra Streisand (who was there and gave a memorable speech starting with looking at her Oscar and saying "Hello, Gorgeous!") for Funny Girl. Pat Neal was already a winner though for Hud back in 1963.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seeing "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" written down immediately gets the song stuck in my head. Thanks, I hate it. lol

    ReplyDelete