Wednesday, June 7, 2023

Weddings...Too Many

 


This picture is not from a wedding but from the German Open House during Folk Arts Festival. My friends and I still enjoy going to this and hope it keeps up. Weddings...I have been to so many, not my own...I am no Liz Taylor or Zsa Zsa Gabor, but have been to quite a few since I was a young teen. I'm joining with Monday Music Moves Me over at Curious as a Cathy. Since June is the proverbial Wedding month, I thought we should celebrate...

1. GOING TO THE CHAPEL SUNG BY THE DIXIE CUPS -1964

This was the first song that popped into my head...and stayed. I have to get it out of my head now. It was written by Jeff Barry and Ellie Greenwich when they were newly married.

2. LOVE AND MARRIAGE SUNG BY FRANK SINATRA- 1955


This song became more famous when used as the theme for the TV Show, " Married With Children." I just like it andcwas not surprised when I saw the name Sammy Cahn attached to it with music by Jimmy Van Heusen.

3. WHITE WEDDING SUNG BY BILLY IDOL-1982

Now this is a song I played at my wedding …it was the 3rd one to be played and the first fast dance. My first and, so far, only wedding was back in 1997 and it was fun! It was at my in-laws’ home situated just outside the city. We had a big tent and I picked all the songs and my brother placed all the songs on tape cassettes…yup, those old things. I have to say, it was a blast and this was just the right song to start off the night.

Now, a final song…

The blasted Chicken Dance!


How many of you danced to this at weddings? Don’t be shy, admit it. I’ve done this one and the Macarena. The Macarena is better than this one. My mom loved doing the Chicken Dance…oy vey.

What wedding songs come into your head?

13 comments:

  1. You are definitely on a wedding theme. When you posted the video yesterday of the Fifth Dimension singing the Wedding Bell Blues, I remembered a party I went to in the late 80s. The hosts had the Fifth Dimension there to entertain us. Like having them in your living room. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone else had the wedding theme too. I did listen to the 5th Dimensio and it was great.

      Delete
  2. Two classics and then Billy Idol - nice variety!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes..hahahaa and then Billy. Lol. What no chicken dance?

      Delete
  3. Fun idea!

    Going to the Chapel is a sweet song and a perfect fit for the happy marriage outcome.

    Love and Marriage is a bit more wry and not one that I'm overly fond of. I think it's the thump, thump tempo though Sinatra sings it well.

    White Wedding is a fun choice! Geez I remember when it was everywhere for a time in the '80's which puts me in mind of "The Wedding Singer", an adorable film.

    The three that occurred to me are two Broadway tunes and one that is more a plea for the event to happen:

    Get Me to the Church on Time which was immortalized by Stanley Holloway in "My Fair Lady"

    The patter song I'm Getting Married Today from Company. The best version of that I've ever seen was performed by the divine Madeline Kahn.

    Third is The Fifth Dimension's Wedding Bell Blues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just chose the 3 songs that popped onto my head. Funny, nobody mentions that chicken dance...lol
      I almost chose the Chirch on Time sung by Stanley Holloway. I'm glad you mentioned it.
      I never heard of that song Madeli e sang. I went to YouTube e and listened...wow! How does she do ot?? Iwould be tripping over all the words.
      The last so g was on someone else's Playlist and is a good one.
      Oh and yes..love The Wedding Singer!

      Delete
  4. You can't go wrong with "Chapel of Love" or "Wedding Bell Blues". I think a perfect wedding reception song would be Shut Up and Dance from Shoot the Moon. If you can't dance to that, you aren't breathing. Yes, I've done the Chicken Dance and the Alley Cat, for that matter, at weddings. The last wedding I went to had neither dance, thankfully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never heardof the Alley Cat...must have been popular after everyone I knew, got married. I'm glad you enjoyed the tunes and that song you mentioned is great.

      Delete
  5. Hey Birgit,

    I sent you Happy Birthday email last Friday. I hope you get it for your special day. :) Anywho, I'm glad you joined the party. You and Alana went with the same theme. How cool is that? lol We didn't have music to dance at our wedding. The only music was a couple of songs before the ceremony sung by DH's good friend who reminds me a lot of David Soul. One of the songs we requested was "If" by Bread. It would've been fun to have had dance music but we didn't think about that. We celebrate our 44th wedding anniversary this Friday. Can you believe that? Anyway, great song picks for a very busy month for lots of couples. :) Have a boogietastic day, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Anniversary!! You are lucky to have been with your husband for this long. It is very special. Yes, I got my birthday greetings and sent a reply but you must not have received it. Weird.yes, I and the other lady must think alike

      Delete
  6. I actually know the first three, but have never heard the Chicken Dance before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! You must not have gone to weddings in the late 70s and 80s. Lucky you.i have clucked many times on the dance floor

      Delete
  7. What about the Bunny Hop and the Hokey-Pokey? Those were done at our wedding....

    ReplyDelete