Wednesday, January 10, 2024

Winter Slop

 


It’s freebie week for Monday Music Moves Me and this week, we are getting rain, snow, freezing rain, ice pellets, rain etc… This Friday night into Saturday, we are to have another storm with more snow than rain in my neck of the woods. Today has been a big slop of a day starting with wet snow to freezing rain and now…rain. In the north, they got snow. So I decided to showcase 3 songs that made me think of  today’s weather.

1. HAZY SHADE OF WINTER BY SIMON & GARFUNKEL-1966


I love this team even if they don’t really like each other but they harmonized so well and this song is another great one from them tht seemed to fit.

2. YOU’RE AS COLD AS ICE BY FOREIGNER-1977


This song popped into my head this morning while driving to work. It was written by Lou Gramm and Mick Jones about a bad gal but I was thinking of the f$(@ ice pellets.

3. KEEPS ON A RAININ’ SUNG BY BILLIE HOLIDAY-1949


I love Billie Holiday who had such a way with a song and this song fits for the next 3 days. It was written in 1924 by Max Kortlander and Clarence Williams and was initially sung by Bessie Smith but I love Billie.

Given your weather right now, what song(s) would you choose?

12 comments:

  1. Hi Birgit!

    Nice variety of music and all fitting. Interesting Billie Holliday song, not overly familiar with that one. She sings it well though I must confess I'm not the hugest fan of hers. I recognize and respect her talent but she isn't someone I listen to often. I'm much more of a Dinah Washington boy.

    So far we have been on the lucky side as far as snow goes. That's not to say we haven't been getting drenched but it's been lots and lots and LOTS of rain. We really got a soaking last night along with high winds. Lots of power outages though again mine blinked off for a minute and fingers crossed so far have stayed on. We are however going to be buffeted with high winds all day today with major gusts.

    So obviously the first song that comes to mind is "Windy" by The Association from the late 60's.

    Then the Bette Midler song from Beaches-"I Think It's Going to Rain Today"

    Finally B.J. Thomas's "Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head"

    Here's an extra that pertains more to your situation than mine, at least right now and as pretty as snow can be I hope we stay with the rain! I'm pass the age where I think shoveling is fun!!!

    Anyway the song is one of my Christmas favorites "The White Snows of Winter" by The Kingston Trio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joel...yrs, I like Dinah better too but I find Billie's scratchy voice somehow compelling even though I couldn't listen to a whole CD of hers. I love what you picked especially Windy. I have yet to see Beaches. When it came out, it was so hyped and the premise sounded so meh that I had no care to see it. I should watch it one day. I also enjoyed going to YouTube and listening to The Kingston Trio also

      Delete
  2. It’s cold here, but probably not as cold as you have it! Your first two choices apply, but not the third at the moment - for once we’re having a dry spell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cold and windy after yesterday's bad storms. No snow, of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and tonight wr are having snow to rain to freezing rain and back to snow

      Delete
  4. My pick. Cold as Ice. We got a bucket load of rain but no ice or snow. Thank goodness!Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a big Simon and Garfunkel fan so, of course, I pick Hazy Shade of Winter. Thank you for the intro to that Billie Holiday song - she was quite a talent who led a tragic life from the moment of her birth, and I wasn't familiar with that particular song. Our weather: gray with snow flurries right now. Wind earlier this week and more wind tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love Simon&Garfunkel, great choice, Birgit and we also like Foreigner's Cold as Ice. Great memories there😸😺Double Pawkisses for a Happy Weekend🐾😽💞

    ReplyDelete
  7. Birgit,

    It's been cold in our area this week but the worse is yet to come. We may actually get some snow beginning tonight at 8pm and hanging around until Tuesday morning. If the prediction is accurate we may get close to a foot of snow and some really wicked cold temperatures. I hope our power stays on and the roads are kept clear.

    I'm sorry for the late visit. I could've sworn I stopped by but my brain gets mixed up sometimes. lol You picked some good tunes. My toes are "Cold as Ice"! Have a warm and boogietastic afternoon, dearie!

    ReplyDelete