Wednesday, October 2, 2024

Dance Like It’s the 1980s

 


So, Harley wanted a hug from Pappa and Pappa wanted his jewels left unscathed( that did not happen). They do love each other even though Harley gulped down my hubby’s chicken leg and thigh in one second. Harley didn’t even chew it…it was just gone! Now, over at Monday Music Moves Me, it is freebie time and I have been thinking about my party days in the 80s when I was in University. It was a lot of fun to put it mildly. I could dance, nonstop, for hours. So here I am remembering the times of many a year ago….

1. RELAX BY FRANKIE GOES TO HOLLYWOOD-1984


This is one fun song that I danced to at the University pub, University dances and several bars downtown and we all were in top form for dancing around this time of the year. I always thought this guy’s voice was quite good. Dancing was so much fun especially at Gord’s, a famous dance club often with skin heads. Funny anecdote, my first time there, I’m sitting with my friends, Peter, Ron and Darren when this horrible music comes on and these skinheads start running around in circles pushing one another. One of the morons ends up on me and I get angry, tell him to F off and push him off. My friends looked at me, mouths agape, telling me I shouldn’t have done that. I had no idea why and only found out later that one is not supposed to push these skinheads because they are jerks. I just thought they were idiots and didn’t like that they fell onto me…idiots.

2. COME ON EILEEN BY DEXYS MIDNIGHT RUNNERS-1982


This is such a famous song that it’s considered one of the all time best from this decade and beyond. I would place it way down the list when one thinks of the bands from the 60s and 70s, but it is a lot of fun and was always played throughout the 80s. 

3. I LOVE ROCK AND ROLL BY JOAN JETT  AND THE BLACKHEARTS-1981


This is more of a rock song than the songs we think of from the 1980s but it’s a good one with Joan Jett singing her heart out. In 1982, I travelled to Austria to represent my family for my grandparents’ wedding anniversary of 60 years. My cousin, Gita, decided to take me out with fellow cousin Bettina and her fiancé  who drove an Astin Martin. I was lucky to sit in the front seat while he drove, very, very fast, on the Autobahn. We ended up at a disco which was the first time I ever saw people waltz to rock songs! This man asked Bettina to dance and she said no but, feeling sorry for me( I wish she hadn’t), told him to take me up to dance…this song was playing and he, reluctantly, agreed. During the whole song, he would slowly go down on one knee and point in one direction and then in another. He was a freak!! I tried to dance on my own trying to show that I am not with this nut. Fun times but it is one for the books.

What songs did you dance to when in University, college or just out on a Saturday, Friday, Thursday….lol

No comments:

Post a Comment