Wednesday, October 16, 2024

Who Won the Oscar-1985

 


Over at Monday Music Moves Me, I have seen and listened to quite a few 80s songs so I decided to chose a year from the 80s and went with 1985. Let’s see if you will get who won the Oscar, who was nominated and which song got nadda…

1. SAY YOU, SAY ME BY LIONEL RITCHIE


Say You, Say Me…say Goodbye. This was the heyday for Lionel Ritchie who had several hits in the 80s and this one came from that blechh film, “White Knights”  starring Gregory Hines and Mikhail Baryshnikov. I was so looking forward to the dancing but the camerawork forgot all about what Fred Astaire said, “show the whole body not just the feet” and would show their faces and just their feet, go slow mo when dancing off some table…ughhh. 

2. RHYTHM OF THE NIGHT SUNG BY DEBARGE


This song was written by Diane Warren for the film” The Last Dragon and became a big hit for this musical group. This is a movie I have not seen and doubt I will since it’s about Martial Arts with a young man, who adores Bruce Lee and wishes to become a master and glow..yes, glow. I do like Kung Fu and I do like the amazing work that Jet Li does and Jackie Chan but this just sounded like Ralph Machio would pop up somewhere. I don’t mind this song though.

3. MISS CELIE’S BLUES SUNG BY TATA VEGA


This is an excellent film by Steven Spielberg tht put Whoopi Goldberg on the map as a young girl, brutalized by her no good husband who is awakened to who she is as a person by Margaret Avery. Margaret Avery appears to be singing but she was dubbed by Tata. I guess Marni Nixon wasn’t available ( she was the go to gal in the 50s and 60s who dubbed many stars of the day). Oh, a gal, named Oprah Winfrey made her big screen debut in this film and did a great job getting an Oscar Nod in the process.

So, which one do you think won, which was nominated and which just got a carrot stick? 

10 comments:

  1. I feel like Lionel Richie won, right? It's so hard not to Google the answers, but I respect the rules. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Whoopi Goldberg in Ghost, didn't you?:) Hope today is a pain-free day for you. Hugs, Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know all of your songs. I think it the last one you first introduced me awhile back and I thought then how much I like Tate Vega's voice. At least doing this song. I don't think I've heard anything else by her. Hmmm, I may need to hop over to YT to sample more. Thanks for sharing and joining the party, Birgit. Have a boogietastic week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm guessing Tata Vega won, Lionel Richie was nominated and Debarge got nada. The Last Dragon is such a fun movie. It was a New Year's Eve go-to for me for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I looked up the musicians on "Miss Celie's Blues." The Harmonica was played by the venerable Sonny Terry. I looked up the answers, so I won't answer...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Was #3 from The Color Purple? I don't remember who won that year. I'm sure I watched the ceremony, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My biggest gripe with "Say You Say Me" is that it's a terrible song to dance to. First it starts off romantic and slow-nice. THEN, it shifts into fast music and I get the vapors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm pretty sure Lionel Ritchie won. ☺ I enjoyed all three of your selections, but don't know which of the others' was nominated. Guessing Miss Celie's Blues?

    ReplyDelete
  9. As usual I have no idea. My guesses: Say You Say Me won, Rhythm of the Night nominated and the Ms. Celie's Blues got the carrot stick.

    ReplyDelete