It is the first Wednesday of the month which means this is the time to let out your insecurities and fears to the Insecure Writer's Support Group. Hosted by Ninja Captain Alex J Cavanaugh, this is to help people who are dealing with all sorts of emotions regarding writing, I just write here because I enjoy it even if I am grammatically challenged and brain challenged. Right now my butt is numb from listening to the great Battle Of The Bands posts hosted by Stephen McCarthy and Far Away Eyes.
What am I writing about? Well June 2nd was my birthday and I turned 51. Yup I am over a half a century old and am waiting for that blue hair my Oma wore so wonderfully (actually it was lavender). I share my birthday with that incredible Tarzan, Johnny Weismuller. Mr "Jane...Tarzan...Jane...Tarzan" fame. I also share it with the Marquis De Sade. Sigh- I have one who is not the brightest bulb and one who was truly nuts and thought using bodily fluids was a turn on for sex. At least I know even Mr. De Sade would say 50 Shades of Crap is , well, crap.
So I had 7 birthdays starting May 14th and ending with mine and I thought why not list some birthdays that stuck out for me for various reasons.
1. I was little and recall getting a doll that rode a tricycle and could walk(kind of). I thanked my parents but was already thinking of things I could do to that doll since I thought it looked blank and stupid. I couldn't give it a punk haircut like I did to one of my Barbie's so that was out. I had a friend over and my brother had his neighbour friend over and we had a fun time. No idea what happened to the doll.
2. Disaster! Why? I was a whiny brat. The one and only time there were lots of kids over and I got voted off Simon Says right away. I gave a temper tantrum and acted like a brat. I still feel embarrassed by my antics so let's move on.
3. So I had many birthdays over the years but they involved one or 2 friends, hotdogs, hamburgers, and homemade cake which was delicious since my mom is German and could make great Torte's with real whipping cream. No icing on my cakes which made you chip a tooth. Family was always there and my mom made it special with decorations and my favourite meal.
4. Later, when I was a teenager, my mom took me and one friend to Crystal Beach-A great amusement park with a Magic Palace, Laff in the Dark, and other great rides but no Comet(roller coaster) as I was terrified of heights. It was a great park.
5. I was 9 years old and my mom was gone to help her brother help pack his home because he and his family were moving to Germany. My mom said she would be back in time for my birthday but she couldn't be and I was crying. My dad and my brother could not see why I should be upset and they did nothing for my birthday. My mom was heart broken and boy did she give my dad hell when she returned. Yes I looked like that cute little penguin with Bugs Bunny that cried big ice cubes.
6. I always got books for my birthday and I loved it! I still have them all. Many were artists (Rafael, Durer, Monet etc...) from Time/Life, "Mysteries of the Unknown" plus any film books usually from my brother.
7. 1988-I turned 24 and my dad had just died on April 30th. It was rainy and under 50F but it was still lovely because I was with family and dressed like it was November-Damm weather!
8. Most of my 20's are a bit of a blur which yes was fully alcohol induced and I loved every moment of it even if I don't really remember much so let's move on. I know I danced to The Cure, Duran-Duran, or was that another time on my way to kill my liver....
9. Friends who surprised me by decorating my 1971 Ambassador (car) and surprising me at home-that was special. No they did not give me a heart attack
10. Last year-my hubby went all out for my 50th and invited all my friends. It was grand and he went all out. I love cake..can ya tell?
So that is my top 10 of memories unless you count my 20's which means they are all a bit vague... which means I had a ball! Now I am writing this ahead of time so who knows what June 2nd will bring. What are some of your memories of your birthdays? Do you still celebrate or are bah humbug? Oh and no I don't drink like that anymore, I would be in AA otherwise. I drink choice now is OJ and soda water:) or :-)