Thursday, November 3, 2016

No Thursday Movie Picks

I know...Shocker! The reason there is no Thursday Movie Picks is the topic-Middle Eastern language films. I have seen none..Nadda, nuttin honey, so there is nothing but crickets here. Now enough about my brain since I will still talk about movies, movies I have seen this past week  which will explain why my ass is getting larger by the minute so ..on with the show. Oh, and if you want to read what films people have chosen head on over to Wandering Through The Shelves to see their picks this week.

1.  CHINA SEAS-1935



My hubby and I both enjoyed this frolic with Clark Gable as a captain who loves the drink, the seas and women especially Jean Harlow in all her platinum best.  I love the beginning since it shows how it looked 80 years ago in China. You have  some first class passengers enjoying their trip with one classy dame falling for the Captain and his lover getting jealous. The ship and crew have to deal with a fierce storm, pirates and one shady SOB.

2. THE BRAIN THAT WOULDN'T DIE-1962



Oh yes..., it's bad, very bad but so bad it's good. My hubby wouldn't watch it as he doesn't understand how I can find schlock fun but I do. Evil scientist races with his fiancee to his cottage and wrecks the car and decapitates his girlfriend by mistake. What's a mad scientist to do but take her severed head back to his lab and keep it alive until he can find a suitable body. What more can I say...

3. CHOCOLAT-2000



I love chocolate and when I see her pouring the hot cocoa I just want to go through the screen and take it away from Judi Dench. Love this movie about a mysterious woman, with her daughter, arriving in a small French town at lent and opening up a Chocolate shop. She helps the town out of their doldrums but not before incurring the wrath of the mayor and some townsfolk as well as bringing passion back...Ooh La La.

4. HIDE AND SEEK-2005


You think I could find a trailer for this flick? So this is all of 3 seconds worth but still something. I caught this on TV and it will be worth a closer look on DVD. Yes, I still rent DVD's and am proud of it:) This stars Robert De Niro as a widower with his wacko freak daughter played by Dakota Fanning who move to the country so he can help her get through the trauma of her mom's suicide. You never are quite sure if you are watching a ghost story or not. I am not bawled over by it but I did like it and found the leads watchable. I won't say more because it is not your average ghost story..if I can say that.

5. GODZILLA-2014



OK, OK I watched this one and the next movie while making some cards but I am still underwhelmed by this flick because most of the time it was so dark I couldn't make out what the hell was going on. I am surprised how many big stars on in this film although 2 biggies die near the beginning and frankly, who cares. Godzilla is running amok but so are 2 freaky looking insects that look mechanical-a male and female and one of them has wings. Those 2 are really mean and Godzilla hates their guts. The army, scientists and everyone else are scrambling to save the planet while these 3 destroy most of the U.S. but don't worry, everyone seems happy that Godzilla lives. Ughhh

6. PRACTICAL MAGIC-1998



This is fun and does not need the brain to work much which is great. Nicole Kidman and Sandra Bullock play sisters who are witches but Sandra tries to not believe in this bunk. When her sister is in trouble, she comes to her aid and that's when all hell and toads break loose. It is actually a fun comedy with some bewitching going on and great music.

7. THE SHINING-1980

The scene above is the usual moment when I changed the channel since those girls really freaked me out. On Monday night, I couldn't turn the channel since I saw this film and Freaks at the performance Art Centre on the big screen and it was a treat. This is a classic horror film about an alcoholic, who has not touched a drop for 5 months who takes his family up to this lodge to take care of it during the winter months. While they are there, he wants to write his great novel but all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy so what's a man to do but slowly go nuts and want to kill his family. he is egged on by the ghosts who rule the place. His young son can see what is going on since he has the shining while his mom has no clue. So much has been written about this film from the sexual innuendos to the comedic elements. A great ghost film

8. FREAKS-1932


I spoke about this film before and it is one of my favourites because, even though it is a horror film, it really shows the "freaks" in a warm light and that they are people. It stars Harry Earles, who was in quite a few films even though he was a little person, as a member of the circus falling for the beautiful trapeze artist, Cleopatra. His Fiancee (played by his real life sister, Daisy) is very sad since she can see the Cleo is just making fun of him. Once Cleo and her dumb ass lover find out the little guy is rich, they decide to do get rid of him but they underestimate the bond of the freaks. We get to meet the other members of this circus and share in some of their lives from the bearded lady giving birth to the Siamese twins's relationships with men. This was done before the hays Code was enforced so living in sin was aok and sexual innuendo was big ("You should have seen me before my operation"). The director, Todd browning, treated these "freaks" with respect and it shows. You meet Prince Randian who, without arms or legs, takes a match out of the box and lights his cigarette and Johnny Eck who has no body after his diaphragm but can walk easily on his hands and must have been incredibly strong.

OK this is very lengthy and I doubt most of you have the chance to view the film promos but I put them in anyway. Next week I will showcase films I have actually seen that correspond to the theme from Thursday Movie Picks:)

46 comments:

  1. Hi, Birgit!

    My oh my, you have been on a movie watching binge. :) As you might expect I have seen The Brain That Wouldn't Die, The Shining and Freaks. Virginia Leith, the cutie who lost her head in The Brain That Wouldn't Die, is still with us, now age 84. The Shining is one of my favorite thrillers and Jack N. one of my favorite actors. Leila Hyams of Freaks is one of my favorite "it girl" actresses of the late silent film era and 30s talkies.

    Thanks for the fun, BB!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have been shocked if you did not see The Brain that wouldn't Die. Poor Virginia hated her role in that movie. I always liked Leila Hyams even if her career was short. Don't you love how much Wallace Ford sucked in his gut in the movie Freaks? It was quite funny

      Delete
  2. No big surprise that I've seen and loved Chocolat. It's a sexy movie that only increases the need for chocolate. The Shining scared the crap outta me.
    Be well, fun lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to have that chocolate store near me but I might turn into 300 lbs then.

      Delete
  3. I've seen Practical Magic. I've seen the remake of The Shining, but not the original.

    Godzilla was a Japanese film for a reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen the remake and the topiary animals scared the hell out of me but the ending was schmaltz.

      Delete
  4. Chocolat was a quirky but fascinating movie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen 5 of them at my sea. But yeah, I'm with you, there would be crickets with that genre for me as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do want to see a few now that I have read others' blogs...like A Separation

      Delete
  6. I have a soft spot for Hide and Seek. Dakota Fanning is such a great little actress. I liked the Godzilla remake too, and loved the Shining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't mind Hide and Seek-liked the ending. I will try Godzilla again..maybe I'll see more

      Delete
  7. I actually really liked the Godzilla film.
    The Brain That Wouldn't Die was done by MST3K and it was hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to give Godzilla another try since it was on a TV and maybe the colours were off. The Brain is funny especially when he carries off the head...made me laugh

      Delete
  8. I LOVE China Seas! It’s ridiculous and ridiculously entertaining at the same time. The fact that Gable & Harlow are mostly dressed in white which remains immaculate throughout is just the tip of the iceberg. But it’s all fun with Rosalind Russell stuck in what she herself described as her “Lady Mary” phase. This was the last of Harlow’s films where she retained that ultra-platinum blonde look switching to a more toned down light blonde or brownette color for the few films she had left as she & Metro worked to soften her image before it became stale.

    Freaks is also amazing and unsettling. Browning vision was so far ahead of his time. Did you know Harlow was originally cast as Venus until MGM decided she was too big a star to be in what they saw as a horror movie?

    The Brain That Wouldn’t Die is such an AIP film. You can tell the filmmakers were thinking “This will freak those kids at the drive-in out!”

    Chocolat was a sweet film but I’ve never had any desire to watch it again.

    I finally broke down last week and watched Practical Magic after years of avoiding it since it had Kidman in it. It had turned up on a couple of lists one week and Halloween was nigh I thought it was a good time to mark it off, wish I hadn’t I hated it!! Such a waste of a mostly awesome cast.

    The other one I’ve seen of these is The Shining and while it wasn’t as good as the book it was a creepy film. Another I’d never watch again though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you came by. China Seas is great and love Robert Benchley. Poor Rosalind Russell didn't do too much in this film so thank God for the later roles. I didn't know they had almost cast Harlow in the role but she would have overtaken the rest of the cast I think. Loved The Brain because it is just so horrible. I enjoy Chocolat with the whimsy and a bit of the fantasy thrown in. I know you would hate Practical Magic because it's not a film that one says wow...It's a chick flick that is pretty stupid but, for some reason, it is a guilty pleasure of mine although I don't watch it too often. The books are almost always better than the movie and Stephen King does not like the original film at all.

      Delete
  9. BIRGIT ~
    'FREAKS' was a freaky movie. My friend The Flying Aardvark turned me on to it, as it's one of her very favorites.

    ~ D-FensDogG
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Birgit,

    I know you didn't do a list this week but I'm going to include my three. It was remarkably easy to pull this together, they may be the only three middle eastern language films I've seen! I only really stronger recommend the first one. A sprightly comedy-the other two are GRIM.

    Dostana (2008)-Sameer “Sam” and Kunal are two handsome, single womanizers and casual acquaintances happily living in Miami. While apartment hunting they both want the same sublet but the landlord Neha wants only female roommates. What to do? They decide to pretend to be a couple to get around the problem which goes well until both fall for their roommate while still trying to maintain the façade that they’re gay. Fun romantic comedy which seems to go out of its way to objectify John Abraham who plays Kunal.

    New York (2009)-New York cabbie Omar (Neil Nitin Mukesh) is set up by the FBI in a ploy to force him to spy on his friend, Samir (John Abraham), a suspected terrorist. As Omar recounts his relationship with Samir he also reflects on his friendship with Maya (Katrina Kaif), now Samir's wife, and how their lives changed after 9/11. Agreeing to become an FBI spy Omar learns that this isn't the first time Samir has been targeted by the government.

    Jail (2009)-Honest citizen Parag Dixit (Neil Nitin Mukesh) is falsely accused in a drug case though his friend is actually to blame and imprisoned. Due to evidence against him and an overburdened organization he is denied bail suffering extensively at the hands of a callous, corrupt system. A strong indictment of Indian prisons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you posted your 3 and the last 2 do sound grim but probably realistic in many ways. The first one sounds like fun for sure. I have to watch A Separation when I get the chance-that was the film this week

      Delete
  11. You should see Persepolis. It's animated, and there's a dubbed English version, but it's also in... I wish I could remember what language. It's about a woman during the Iranian revolution. Well worth your time.

    If you like schlock, have you heard of RiffTrax? I bet you would love that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard of Persepolis and believe it was up for an Oscar but can't recall if it won. I will look up Riff'Trax.

      Delete
  12. I think I'd enjoy China Seas. I'm a Clark Cable fan.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have seen A Separation along with the other bloggers. I know I've seen other Middle-Eastern films but don't ask me to name them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The film sounds great and I know it was up for so many awards. I have to put that on my list for sure

      Delete
  14. I saw The Shining on television a couple of weeks ago. How awesome to see it on the big screen. I wasn't all that impressed with the most recent Godzilla either. Big whoop, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great seeing it on the big screen! I will try Godzilla again but meh.... At one point my hubby came in and asked what was on the TV because all he saw was a blank screen..he just heard sounds

      Delete
  15. Well, Chocolat is the only one of your picks that I've seen - although I think the book was better!

    Susan A Eames at
    Travel, Fiction and Photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Books are almost always better and I never read the book but I bet I would like it.

      Delete
  16. I think it is neat how you and your hubby enjoy watching some movies together :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do unless it's a musical, a silent film or a bad movie (that is so bad it's good), then he goes elsewhere

      Delete
  17. Actually, I watched all the promos. Except the first one didn't play for me. Believe it or not, I have actually seen some of these. Chocolat I've seen, and I remember liking it. It was an interesting concept and different.The Brain That Wouldn't Die sounds like it would be fun to watch with a group of people and into a few beer. Sign me up for that. Also I've seen this Godzilla and I rather liked it, certainly more than most of the ones previous. I thought it was true to the original concept. But you said the same thing I did about the movie, it's so dark, at times it's hard to see what's going on. When I watched this, I was at a drive-in, so I assumed it had something to do with that. Perhaps I can watch it again at home, at night, with the lights off. Perhaps it will be easier to see then.
    Great selection of films.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool that you watched all of them. I wonder why the first didn't work?? The Brain is perfect with the same feel of a bad movie and beer or some drink should be involved. So you also found the film very dark...hmmmm

      Delete
    2. It says the video no longer exists because the Youtube account associated with the video has been terminated.

      Delete
  18. I'm a bust with all of these, seen none of them. (but I also don't do the scary/spooky ones). I enjoyed African Queen again, yesterday, amazing how well done it is, holds up nicely with the test of time. Hope you are feeling all better after the punies, and you're welcome to come enjoy the porch sitting. We can always find something appropriate to enjoy while watching the world go by. That's what you do in the South...you wave to the neighbors going by, enjoy the trees and birdsong (and sometimes lawnmowers, edgers and burning leaves...then I have to go inside, close up the house!) Have a great weekend, TFS

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm like your husband. I've only seen Practical and Chocolat because they aren't scary. I'm a wooz. Heck I can't even spell wooz.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't know why but that second movie made me think of Lord Love a Duck, which isn't a horror or sci fi movie at all. Maybe it's the title. I'm usually game for checking out movies with great titles.

    I don't remember Judy Dench being in Chocolat. Me thinks it's time to see it again.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Don't worry, it was a tough week for everyone. Anyway, The Shining is one of my favourite films adapted from books. I haven't seen the others even though I really want to see Practical Magic (mostly because of Sandra Bullock) and Chocolat. And I think I'll stay away from Godzilla a little more.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The Brain That Wouldn't Die: That story line take obsession to a whole new level:) Not sure I'd enjoy that one or not:)
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The Brain That Wouldn't Die: That story line takes obsession to a whole new level:) Not sure I'd enjoy that one or not:)
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think I'm going to find China Seas. Gable and Harlow? What a mid-week pick up that will be.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Practical Magic is one of my all-time favorite movies. For once I've seen a few of the films you mentioned in this post. I am quite proud of that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Practical Magic and The Shining are two I have seen many times. I love them both- for different reasons. ;) Great post and I always enjoy learning about new movies. ~Jess

    ReplyDelete