Wednesday, September 29, 2021

Weekly Song Challenge

 


I know, I'm late again but I have to contact Employment Insurance, the plumbers, I saw a friend, which was really nice, take care of my husband who was dealing with the pain from his kidney stone surgery, talk to a nurse for my own pre-op and bring my husband for his hernia surgery which was yesterday. His surgery went well and he is now convalescing. It is very difficult to keep a man with severe ADHD from doing anything. I have to write these up way ahead of time and I plan on doing that. Now on with the show..er...music.

Jingle, Jangle, Jungle has given us 3 more themes to find some great music.

 A SONG WITH PLEASE IN THE TITLE

A PROTEST SONG

A SONG WITH FALL IN THE TITLE

1. PLEASE, PLEASE ME SUNG BY THE BEATLES-1963

Of course, this was the first song that came into my head and it's a good early song by the Beatles who became a huge sensation around this time before coming to North America. I believe this was the name of their first album, but correct me if I am wrong.

2. THIS LAND IS YOUR LAND SUNG BY PETER, PAUL AND MARY-1963


This is the version I first heard from this great trio who harmonize so well. It was written by Woody Guthrie back in 1940 because he was sick of hearing Kate Smith belt out "America The Beautiful." Obviously this song got a life of its own as it was written just before the States entered WW2 plus had just been through the great depression so Woody, seeing the plight of the average Joe and Joanie, decided to make his own mark. 

3. LET'S DO IT, LET'S FALL IN LOVE SUNG BY PEGGY LEE-1941


I know, it does not start with "birds do it" or "Bees do it" but the original, very offensive lyrics at the beginning at a time when it was thought it was OK to say these words. Take it as a history lesson and realize Peggy Lee and many others would be offended by the lyrics later...hell, I bet Cole Porter, who wrote the song, would have liked the changes done later. I know it more with the birds and bees but I am a stickler for history, good and bad...and this is bad but I hate censorship because, how can we learn what is right and what is wrong if we censor? Porter wrote this song in 1928 for the Broadway hit called "Paris". It has been sung by many, many others over the years but I like Peggy Lee's performance. 

Sorry, again, for being late. Which songs come to your mind?

8 comments:

  1. Hi, Birgit!

    Glad you could make it to the WSC, dear friend, and also happy to know that hubby's surgery went AOK and that he is convalescing. I hope all continues to go smoothly for him and for you in the days and weeks ahead.

    Aha! I see that our minds are linked, dear BB. I used "Please Please Me" earlier today at Cathy K's. You and I both score double points for naming a tune with two "pleases." It bothers me how many people forget or dismiss the early recordings of The Beatles, focusing only on their last few albums. I like all phases of The Beatles evolution (revolution).

    Good one, picking that great Peter, Paul & Mary folk anthem cover for your protest song. As I might have told you, Mrs. Shady and I attended a PP&M concert here in the greater Tampa Bay area circa 1990. It was wonderful.

    Gosh, that's the earliest Peggy Lee recording I ever heard, and a great selection for the "fall" prompt, but I am shocked to hear the opening lyrics. I was not aware that such offensive references were made in the original version of the Cole Porter song. It's jarring, but then again, there are many other examples of what we thought was acceptable at the time. WOW!

    Here are my picks:

    PLEASE SONG: "Please Don't Ask About Barbara" by Bobby Vee, a 1962 single that reached #15 on the U.S. chart and #18 up there in Canada.

    PROTEST SONG: "We're Not Gonna Take It" by Twisted Sister, a single that brushed the top 20 on the U.S. chart in 1984 and landed on Tipper Gore's (PMRC's) list of the "Filthy Fifteen" songs to warn our impressionable kids about, lest they turn into juvenile delinquents and start stealing hubcaps.

    FALL SONG: "When I Fall In Love," originally a top 20 hit for Doris Day in 1952. The version I remember better is by The Letterman, a single that brushed the top 5 ten years later in early 1962.

    Take care, dear friend BB. I'm thinking about you and rooting for you and your hubby. I hope to see you tamale in the balcony-- "At The Movies!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my third try to leave a comment. Not sure what is wrong. I agree with numbers 1 and 3. For a protest song Marvin Gaye's 'What's Going On'.
    Sounds like you have a lot going on. Glad to see you posted today as I was concerned. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad his surgery went well!
    I can only think of a fall song - The Way Things Fall by John Petruci.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to know your hubby's surgery went well! Yeah, those lyrics in the Cole Porter song are definitely cringe-worthy, but I agree with your stance regarding history. You have to take it as it is. My choices: Please Mister Postman, Eve of Destruction and I Fall To Pieces. Hang in there, Birgit! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please don't feel you must apologize for being late. With everything you're going through, I don't know how you manage to blog at all.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  6. We even had the same video. Ringo was a hell of a drummer, wasn't he?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ugh, had never heard those words to Let’s do it before. Please, please me sprung immediately to my mind too. I possess every Beatles album.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Birgit,

    I noticed your comment at Tom's this morning and I realized I forgot to get over here last week to check out your WSC. First off, glad to hear your hubby is recuperating and that your scheduled surgery is almost here. I'll keep you in my prayers, darlin'. I know everything will go well. The day after surgery, they will get you out of bed and as awful as you feel, do it! This will speed your recovery tremendously. Don't over do it, but doing things like walking to the bathroom helps. How long do you expect to be in the hospital? I know that changes all the time. When I had my hysterectomy, I spent the night at the hospital but within 24 to 48 hours they released me. I didn't want to stay any longer than necessary because the truth is every time in the past that I stayed longer I usually picked up something making me run a fever which increased my stay time. I was terribly sore returning home that soon but much happier for it. The doc gave me pain meds which I only took at night for the first week and after that I was okay. Do as much walking as you can. Your body will thank you later for it. Sending hugs and love your way, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete