Thursday, January 20, 2022

Thursday Movie Picks-Time Loops

 


On Tuesday, I kept thinking it was Wednesday...I hate that when it happens. Time...what the hell is it? We look at our watch..oops, phone or, if you are like me, the microwave. We feel time is slower than molasses when we are waiting in line but are amazed how time flies when we are having a great time. I often say to myself, "Time to move my ass." Time is truly freaky sometimes and Wandering Through The Shelves picked a good one regarding time loops. I wonder if we don't get stuck in some time loop when we do the same thing each day and wish to get off that lumpy gravy train. Anyways, I hope you like the movies I chose this week.

1. DEAD OF NIGHT-1945


I just watched this a couple of weeks ago and it fits this theme. A man travels to a cottage, hired to  remodel the cottage. He meets the owner as well as guests who have all been invited for a nice gathering, but the man feels he has been there before, in his dreams, and knows all the faces he meets at the cottage. From there, we learn each person has had some spooky encounter from a strange mirror, a child and even a mental patient. The psychiatrist feels that each person's story can be explained in scientific terms even though he, himself was unsettled by his patient. The ventriloquist part is the most famous and most eerie but I liked all of stories. Funny, I watched this  just before I heard that Sally Ann Howes (you know her from Chitty, Chitty Bang-Bang) passed away because she played the young teenager who helps a little boy in the one segment of this film. If you can catch this rare "horror" film from Britain, I would advise to sit down and enjoy. I wonder if Anthony Perkins watched the last segment to get a sense of his character in "Psycho".

2. GROUNDHOG DAY-1993


Of course I had to mention this famous one which, I believe, will be very popular unless everyone avoids it because it fits the theme so well. I went with the obvious because it is a funny movie with Bill Murray as a jerk (wow, really!?) who is stuck in this small town awaiting the rodent to predict whether we will have 6 more weeks of winter or an early spring. Honestly, it is pretty stupid how all the major news networks etc... discuss what this rodent will do and we all hope the critter will say Spring. What the hell does the rodent actually do to predict the outcome? Anyways, I sound like Bill Murray in this movie. His character is happy when the day is done and he can go back home but this doesn't happen because, the clock (that my brother owns to this day) flicks to 6 am, Sonny & Cher come on and Bill is in a nightmare. He is reliving the same day and he has no clue what to do to stop it. He ends up trying to kill himself which doesn't work so he decides to woo every chick he can because men will do this, let's face it:)). Throughout all the days he relives..ugh..I mean, the same day, he finds out he has true feelings for his colleague, played by Andie McDowell and wishes to change things for the better. It is not only funny but endearing and worth a look.

3. EDGE OF TOMORROW-2014


I normally don't choose newer films, as you all know, but I actually like this sci-fi  flick that stars Tom Cruise as a cowardly, inept moron who must keep reliving the same day to learn how to destroy the nasty aliens who wish to destroy us. Why are all aliens trying to kill us? Maybe, for once, a peaceful film could be made without the shoot 'em ups and death all around movies that we always get. Oops, I digress...so Tom meets the head of this division, played by Emily Blunt, in which she states he is their hope, sadly. It is funny to see Tom in a slightly different role at the beginning of the film and, believe it or not, he is rather funny when he keeps getting killed in various ways. It's a better movie than I thought it would be and worth checking out one Sunday afternoon when it's raining/snowing or blecchy outside and you want to sit back and turn off your brain. 

Which films would you choose?

37 comments:

  1. Hi, Birgit!

    I say Hugo got what was coming to him. The dummy should have learned to keep his mouth shut. I don't know which is creepier, a ventriloquist's dummy, a doll whose eyes follow you around the room, or a drooling clown with a chainsaw. I haven't seen Dead Of Night but it looks like my kind of material.

    I have watched and enjoyed Bill Murray's Groundhog Day. It stands up to repeat viewings. (BA-DUM-BUMP) Bill's statement: "I'm reliving the same day... over and over" is redundant, isn't it? So is the phrase "It's like déjà vu all over again," attributed to Yogi Berra (or is it Yogi Bear?). As you well know, I lived in Pennsylvania half my life and worked in TV news. Every year we covered the annual Groundhog Day celebration in Punxsutawney. Oops, my use of "every year" and "annual" in the same sentence seems redundant. Have we been here before? Groundhog Day 2022 is fast approaching. It wouldn't surprised me if the whistle pig, Punxsutawney Phil, saw his shadow this year and predicted six more weeks of democracy in America. I well remember Andie MacDowell, an "it girl" of the 1990s who is now age 63.

    Edge of Tamale looks like a good one. I will add it to my watch list.

    Since we are discussing the time theme, I'd like to say R.I.P. to the lovely actress Yvette Mimieux who wowed me in the 1960 movies The Time Machine and Where The Boys Are. Yvette died this week just after turning 80. I'd also like to mention a cool song, nearly ten minutes in running time, that relates to this theme and your first paragraph musings. The song is "Time Is" by the San Francisco based psychedelic rock band It's A Beautiful Day, a track from their self-titled 1969 debut album:

    Time is too slow for those who wait
    And time is too swift for those who fear
    Time is too long for those who grieve
    And time is too short for those that laugh

    Enjoy the rest of your week, dear friend BB!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you mentioned the wonderful Yvette who looked so delicate but I think of her as always that young. I enjoyed the song you told me about and it sounds familiar to me. I think you would like both films I talked about.Enjoy your remaining week.

      Delete
    2. Gotta' love any reference to the band It's A Beautiful Day, part of that 1960s San Francisco psychedelic movement. The Time Machine is the first that came to mind for me followed by Groundhog Day. Among more modern films, The Butterfly Effect is quite powerful and thought provoking. I recommend that one for you, sis, if you have not seen it already.

      Delete
    3. I love It's a beautiful Day...wonderful song! I am glad I listened to it the other day. I love Time Machine and didn't we watch that one, once, together? I have not seen Butterfly Effect but have placed it on my "To watch" list even though it stars Ashton Kutcher.

      Delete
  2. My first thought was Groundhog Day too. I haven't seen your other tow choices.
    Ever since I retired I have a hard time remembering what day it is. Not that it matters except when it is Tuesday and I have to take the garbage out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom used to say the weekend didn't matter to her because every day was a weekend for her.

      Delete
  3. Groundhog Day is the classic time loop.
    Excellent choice with Edge of Tomorrow. I'd add Looper to the list although it's not a repeat the loop kind of film, but it does loop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like my choices and I have already added Looper top the list to watch

      Delete
  4. Years ago, before Groundhog Day, there was a made for TV movie along such lines that was quite good: 12:01 pm.

    Others I like in the Google search I just did:

    Run Lola Run
    Doctor Strange
    Donnie Darko

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never heard of 12:01pm but I read about it and it sounds really good. I wonder if it is on youtube. I still have to see Run, Lola, Run which has been on my "To Watch" movies for a while. Doctor and Donnie work for sure but I am more a fan of the Doc. Hey there are more than 1 Star Trek episode that deals with this. One of my favourites is Yesterday's Enterprise but also the one with Worf..not really a time loop but how each decision can lead to a different reality.

      Delete
  5. Of your picks I've only seen Groundhog Day which is a wonderful film.

    Time is one of my favorite film topics. I know I've seen others in this loop category including some already mentioned.

    Others that I've enjoyed are Source Code, 12:01 which I saw years ago and have been wanting to see again because I liked it so well, and Time Crimes, which I guess kind of fits the looping theme and is one of my favorite time travel movies.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was also going to recommend Source Code. So good.

      Delete
    2. I know, Arlee, that "time" is one of your favourite topics and the same with me. I have to see Source Code which is one I wanted to see when it came out...on my "To Watch" List

      Delete
  6. BIRGIT ~

    I need to see 'Dead Of Night'.

    Yeah, 'Groundhog Day' is a classic choice for this topic.

    I can think of several Time Travel movies I love, but Time Loops seems like a slightly different thing - like a subcategory of Time Travel. And other than 'Groundhog Day', the only thing I can think of, which I love, is a single episode from the 'Night Gallery' TV series titled 'MIDNIGHT NEVER ENDS'. That's my favorite N.G. episode.

    Actually, there was some Time Loop-ish stuff in the movie 'ABOUT TIME', which I like quite well.

    ~ D-FensDogG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. About Time is a good movie. Dead of Night is quite good and i am glad I saw it. I have to watch Night Gallery and this episode for sure.

      Delete
  7. I've never heard of the first one. I would definitely pick your second two, though. A more interesting iteration of this topic would be to go to any sci fi show and rate which one did the time loop the best (because every sci fi show hits it at least once). Doctor Who just did it for the New Year's Day episode a couple weeks back. But my all time fave is Stargate SG1's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about the sci-fi genre hitting the time loop theme at least once. I never watched Stargate and am not a fan of Dr. Who but love the Star Trek episode that dealt with this.

      Delete
  8. I still need to watch The Edge of Tomorrow from start to finish. I've only heard good things.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed Dead of Night, such a great cast which is what led me to it in the first place since it had several faves of mine-Googie Withers, Mervyn Johns (Glynis' fahther) and Sally Ann Howes, so sad about her passing and now Yvette Mimieux too!! :-( I don't know if I'd go out of my way to watch it again but if the opportunity presented itself.

    I've developed an allergy to that loon Cruise and refuse to willingly watch his stuff which knocks your last pick out for me.

    Groundhog Day is one I thought of too. I put off watching it for years since the preview looked inane but once I finally did I liked it much more than I expected.

    The first one that came to mind for this is the 1947 low budget noir Repeat Performance with Joan Leslie, Louis Hayward and Natalie Schafer. It's a good one if you've never seen it.

    Other than that I there's Source Code with Jake Gyllenhaal and About Time with Rachel McAdams that were both much better than I expected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised that Sally Ann died and Yvette despite their ages because, to me, they always seemed young. Glynis is still alive and will be 99 in October...so cool. How can anyone not love Googie.

      Hahahaaa...you cracked me up with your thoughts on Cruise who is a raving loon especially since he is so into Scientology cult. I can look at his acting separate from the loon.
      I am with you about Groundhog Day and was happy to see it because I was not expecting much.
      I already placed Source Code on my "To Watch" list. About Time is quite good which I didn't expect.
      I don't know Repeat Performance but I now have it on my "to Watch" list..sounds quite good.

      Delete
  10. Groundhog Day is a classic, but to be honest, I prefer Edge of Tomorrow. Glad to see someone give it some light. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Edge of Tomorrow is a good movie and i am glad I finally saw it.

      Delete
  11. Hi Birgit - thanks once again for an interesting selection and letting me know about them to entice me to watch. The others too have good choices - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, so many movies to see and I have more now thanks to the posts:)

      Delete
  12. Edge of Tomorrow is fun and Groundhog Day is one that I haven’t seen but want to watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy to see you comment here!! This make me smile, truly. You will enjoy Groundhog day...I think.

      Delete
  13. Is today Thursday? You know, I'm not really sure. Then again, being retired...what day it is really doesn't mean all that much to me anymore.
    Plus, I'm kinda stupid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time just seeps from one day to the next...trying to sound like I have a spark in my brain too.

      Delete
  14. Today is actually Saturday and I'm busy playing catch-up. Yes, that is confusing. Loved Ground Hog Day, which is a truly delightful film. I've heard of the one with Cruise, but never saw it. Would love to see him die over and over and over, though. What a fun thing that would be. Never heard of the first one, but I enjoyed the synopsis of it. Well done, dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You made me laugh...yes, it is fun seeing Cruise die...often! He is a bit much and insufferable with his cult.

      Delete
  15. In my head Groundhog Day somehow is the OG time loop movie, even though I know that there were many other that came before it 😅

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you are right and I decided to go with the easiest choice this week.

      Delete
  16. Love your selection here, seen two out of three as also seen and reviewrd Edge of Tomorrow. But loved your take on it. Now bof to check out the movie to see it sounds a great anthology.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is quite good and I have to read your review on Tomorrow.

      Delete
  17. Birgit,

    "Death of Night" looks a bit familiar. I suspect I've seen a segments of it at one time. The trailer is very creepy, though. "Groundhog Day" is a personal favorite. I just Bill Murray in this film. We've seen "Edge of Tomorrow". We weren't hugely impressed and I think I was a bit confused. Sometimes it's hard for me to wrap my brain around the sci-fi plots. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Loved Groundhog Day. Love Bill Murray:)

    ReplyDelete