Wednesday, January 26, 2022

To The Future...

 


How is everyone? Next week will be the start of a whole new month which means time to look to a rodent to let us know about winter. February is always wintry where I reside and March is whatever it wants to be. I just heard that we will go down to -30 C this eve (-22 F). Let's keep looking forward, shall we, which is better than lamenting the past. 

1. THE AGE OF AQUARIUS BY THE 5TH DIMENSION-1967


My mom loved this song and I always think of her when I hear it. It is a compilation of 2 songs with "Let the Sunshine in"  written by James Redo & Gerome Ragni (lyrics) and Galt MacDermot (Music) for the musical, "Hair". I liked finding out that, apparently, Billy Davis Jr, from the 5th Dimension, left his wallet in a cab and a man involved with "Hair" found it and asked the group to come and see the production. Howe and the rest loved the song so much that Howe got the idea to use the 2 songs together. I found that cool how this song came to be. 

2. LITTLE NEUTRINO BY KLAATU-1974


When I first heard of Klaatu, from my brother, I just loved how they sounded and bought both of their albums. They were the first to do "Calling Occupants...," before the Carpenters, which is on their first album. I just loved sitting back and listening to this song that was written by Dee Long, a member of Klaatu. By the way, they got their name from a great Sci-Fi film, "The Day The Earth Stood Still", which is the name of the big, don't make him angry, Klaatu, the robot.

3. LOOKING FORWARD SUNG BY CROSBY, STILLS NASH & YOUNG-1999


I have to admit, I roamed around the internet before finding this song which I really like. I thought, for sure, this song would have been from the late 60s early 70s but, apparently, it is from 1999 written by Neil Young when he heard the other 3 got back together to make another album. If I am wrong, please correct me. It does sound quite good, eh?

Now...as you all know we got a big snowstorm last Monday amounting to almost 2 ft of snow. My hubby was out snowplowing for many hours, 3 different times, to clear our sidewalks and others who are elderly or have physical issues. He has severe Rheumatoid Arthritis, to boot, but is on special medication to hinder its advance. He was beyond pain when he came in the first time..I could see it on his face and gave him pain meds and he sat for a long time before going back out. 

On Wednesday, the city plow came through our street and plowed all the snow onto part of our very long sidewalk that needs to be kept clear. By this point it was hard and full of major chunks. They did this to every corner home and blocked every driveway. I have made complaints and contacted our MPP. Apparently they received 1,500 complaints, but then they should make sure to hire contractors who do a better job. This is my rant and just look at the picks below. 


This shows the sidewalk after my husband snowplowed it. He doesn't just do a path, he does the entire width of the walk. 


This is after the city plow went through. Now people must walk on the street. My husband told the city if he cleans it up, they will get a bill from him!

Have you been dealing with a similar issue? Did you enjoy the song tidbits?

For now I say "Klaatu Barada Nikto"


19 comments:

  1. There is a law here that says you cannot push your snow from your drive into the street. There is no law saying that snow plows can't block you in by pushing snow into your driveway. Makes me crazy. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Birgit!

    I hope your guys get through the deep freeze AOK, dear friend. I'll be thinking about you. That cold air is supposed to arrive down here this weekend, with overnight temps dropping to the upper 20s, the coldest of the season.

    Your first embedded video has disappeared or perhaps is not available for viewing in my country. All I see is a black slate that states: "This video is not available." That's alright because I can play "Aquarius/Let The Sunshine In" in my noggin. The hit medley is one of my lifetime favorites. I'm happy to know it is also one of your favorites.

    "Klaatu barada nikto!" I have watched Michael Rennie's sci-fi classic many times since childhood. Actually, if you recall, Birgit, "Klaatu" is the name of Rennie's character in the film. The robot's name is "Gort." Mrs. Shady and I both love the movie. I came to know the band Klaatu several years ago through blogging. I thoroughly enjoy listening to their brand of prog rock. It is layered, complex, atmospheric, and invites you to think, fantasize and dream. Listening to this song was a fantastic journey.

    CSNY (not to be confused with CSI-NY starring Gary Sinise :) has a distinctive sound as they blend their voices in harmony, enabling us to identify the group seconds after the song starts playing. The guys recaptured that classic late 60s sound thirty years later, laying down a new gem of the genre. I very much enjoyed it!

    Your hubby was a trouper for enduring the cold and the pain of R-A as he labored for hours to clear snow from sidewalks, yours and those of neighbors that needed assistance Yessum, it must have been demoralizing when the city's plow pushed mounds of hard and heavy ice and snow back onto your sidewalk. I would have complained, too. To answer your question, NO -I have not been dealing with a similar issue down here in Florida. :)

    Thank you very much for the fab set of songs and for showing me pictures of what I'm missing down here at the Equator. Have a good day, dear friend BB, and I'll see you tamale in the balcony "At The Movies." IMPORTANT: I will be late arriving here tamale because tonight close to midnight we need to be at the airport in another city to meet a cross-country redeye flight. We won't get home until 2 am or something like that, and therefore I intend to get some sleep before starting Thursday's blogging activity. I'll be here later in the morning, okay?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No probs in arriving late as you know i am very late with you:)) Oh man! Yes, Gort!! I know that...oh well. My hubby went out yesterday and cleared the path. He was ok after that, he claimed. I am glad you enjoyed my musical choices.

      Delete
  3. That is just crappy they pushed all the snow on the side walk. With so many complaints, did they send someone out to clear them?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Very Incondierate and hubby took care of it yesterday

      Delete
  5. We have snow coming this weekend and it will look like yours. Oh winter CSNY are a favorite of mine, but the Age of Aquarius is a good song too. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is a good one from CSNY but glad you like mine as well. I hope you didn't get too much of a blast

      Delete
  6. I hope you don't have to go out too much in that mess. Sorry they made a disaster of plowing. I'll send you warm thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Birgit,

    Nice music set. I only knew the first song pick. Make sure your husband submits that bill to the city. lol All of that hard work literally blown by the snowplow! Poor fella!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt he will but I would love it if he would. he took care of it yesterday

      Delete
  8. Back in the day, there were rumours that Klaatu was actually the Beatles reunited. Gotta' love classic prog rock.

    When I was very young, the song Aquarius didn't do much for me but somewhere along the way, the light went on and I learned to love the song, especially the up-tempo second half. I remain absolutely enthralled by the bass on this song as played by Joe Osborn, a member of the legendary "Wrecking Crew," a famous bunch of L.A. based session musicians.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no clue that there was Prog Rock until seeing it here on my blog. I think King Crimson is part of this. I should listen to Wrecking Crew.

      Delete
  9. I've not heard the Little Neutrino before, but I have the other two. Yep, I was born a generation too late, because these are the songs I love.

    OMGosh, your poor husband and all that work for naught. I agree with you they need better contractors and ways to compensate those who have been endangered from this mess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like the 2 at least. Yesterday, my hubby took care of that sidewalk...I complained but to no end.

      Delete
  10. Hi Birgit - that sounds awful ... such is the way of life - but am glad it's sorted for now - stay safe - Hilary

    ReplyDelete