Thursday, January 27, 2022

Thursday Movie Picks: TV Edition-2021 Freshmen Series

 


The last post for January but the first for the TV Edition and I hope I got the theme right. I believe it is all about new shows that Wandering Through The Shelves wants us to talk about. I admit, I suck at this since I don't have any special channels so that leaves the regular channels that I grew up with, meaning I am old as sugar beehive! Here are my 3 picks...

1. GHOSTS


This is a rip-off (what else is new) from a British comedy which I would like to see as well. A young couple upend their lives in New York City when they learn she has inherited an old mansion/manor house. They fall in love with it and decide to open up a bed and breakfast/wedding place but they have no clue that ghosts inhabit the place. The ghosts try to spook them away but that ends up with the gal falling down the stairs and hurting her noggin. When she comes back from the hospital she can now see and interact with the ghosts. These poor beings must stay on this mortal coil until they do something that will have them get sucked off(not my term but theirs) to heaven. You have the Viking warrior, a 1776  Revolutionary Captain, A hip Native American, The female former owner of this place and the gal's 4th great grandmom, a 1920s Jazz singer, a Flower child who tried to hug a bear and had way too much LSD, a Boy Scout leader with an arrow through his neck and a young Wall Street hustler who doesn't wear any pants. You have the cholera victims in the basement and a headless man who  I have only seen twice in the show. Her hubby (who is hilarious), can't see the ghosts but knows they are there and believes in his wife. This is funny and quite entertaining which is much nicer to watch then some morons trying to get it on with another person to win money or whatever.

2. PROFESSOR T


 This is a British show that took this show from the original Belgium show which I have not seen. It stars Ben Miller as the annoying, but brilliant, professor who has more hang ups than a bat. His former pupil, now a detective, requests his services in solving a case. It's like the Mad Hatter meets Sherlock Holmes in one body which I find immensely entertaining. This man often daydreams that he is tangoing with the head of detectives and seeing cheerleaders do a very naughty cheer while he is talking to some lady. He has an overbearing mother, played by the wonderful Frances De La Tour, his suffering secretary and the Dean who has eyes on his mother. The detective team are not all that happy with him helping out but they realize he is an asset. If you can check it out, I would recommend it.

3. FAMILY LAW


This is a Canadian show starring Victor Garber as a womanizing lawyer who heads a firm dealing in...family law. He decides to bring in his kids...all from different moms, to work as a team even though he lacks certain ethics(ya think?). His one daughter is a total screw up who was fired from a prestigious law firm, ending up on probation. She is an alcoholic, whom no one wants except for dad, who tells her about her new siblings that she never knew about. She has a chip on her shoulder the size of Lincoln's nose that does not endear her to anyone even her husband and kids. This may sound like a typical show but it is quite a fun one which interjects humour with some serious schtick. It's worth a look if you get the chance.

Have any of you seen any new shows? 

36 comments:

  1. I have not heard of Family Law. I have seen the ads for Ghost, but not watched it. I have seen all of the Professor T shows from Belgium and really enjoyed them. I am not that impressed with the English version, but at least I know how it all ends, lol. Only new show that comes to mind immediately is N.C.I.S. - Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read people are not as enamoured with the British version but, since I have not seen the Belgium one, I really like it.

      Delete
  2. Not seen any of those. Freshman series means it just began? I can think of a ton that came out last year. Although some - Picard and Resident Alien - are about to go into season two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they meant last year and i so hope I can see the new season of Picard.

      Delete
  3. Hi, Birgit!

    Here I am, dear friend, arriving fashionably late after taking a "midnight ride" to the airport last night to welcome Mrs. Shady's son back from a trip out west.

    I always look forward to occasions when Thursday Movie Picks changes to TV Picks because I appreciate finding TV series I sink my teeth into and watch over a long period of time. I was running low on ideas, but this post of yours offers three great recommendations. I can honestly say that all three shows look like fun to follow, with the sort of characters and situations I tend to like.

    All three of these remind me of other series I have watched and enjoyed. Ghosts resembles the hot hit What We Do In The Shadows about a family of centuries old vampires trying to deal with life and humans in the 21st century. (Lotsa luck!) It also has touches of American Horror Story: Murder House. As you well know there are many films and TV series about the interaction between humans and ghosts. A few others that immediately spring to mind are Topper (1953-1955) starring Leo G. Carroll, The Ghost & Mrs. Muir, a 1947 film adapted for TV and starring Hope Lange (1968-1970), Ghost Dad (1990), a fantasy film directed by the late Sidney Poitier (his last work as a director) and starring Bill Cosby (before Hollywood ghosted him), Medium (2005-2011) starring Patricia Arquette and Ghost Whisperer (2005-2010) starring Jennifer Love Hewitt.

    Mrs. Shady and I love British TV series, especially police procedurals. Professor T looks like one we'd enjoy. Other series that have used the concept of a brilliant but quirky individual helping a team solve crimes and catch bad guys are Monk (2002-2009) and Prodigal Son (2019-2021).

    Family Law checks several boxes for me. I admire Victor Garber, having watched him in DC's Legends of Tamale. The black sheep lawyer daughter looks like a great character. Based on the clip, the series reminds me of another Canadian series you should know by now, namely Being Erica, the show that inspired my SPMM radio series Strange Magic Being Erica.

    Thanks for patiently waiting for me to show up today, dear friend BB. Stay warm, ride out the storm and have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad all went smoothly picking up your step son. I would love to see that vampire show and hope to one day. I enjoyed Ghost Whisperer and saw only a couple of shows from The Ghost & Mrs. Muir. Monk is one I never truly saw but know I would enjoy it. I really like Family Law and i bet, you will too.

      Delete
  4. I got rid of cable so I only have streaming services to go off of now. I'm the opposite. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haven’t seen any of these - but I can agree that Frances De La Tour is wonderful. I don’t know if Rising Damp ever mad3 it across the pond, but she will always be Miss Jones to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No it never has but I would love to see it because I love her.

      Delete
  6. Haha. I love how you always crack me up. This lawyer who brings in all his kids to work as a team lacks certain ethics. "Ya think?" Yes I do. He lacks a brain too.
    Keep a smile, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and this man has no idea what it means to be in the present Day which makes it all the more hilarious.

      Delete
  7. Birgit,

    I've seen "Ghosts" advertising but the previews haven't appealed to me. I may watch an episode to see what I think as for the other two these are new-to-me. I'm not sure about them. That being said, I'm open to trying them. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't sure either but it really grew on me and I love how they each have some power especially when they go "through" the living person.

      Delete
  8. Hello Birgit, I've not seen any of these films, in fact I've never heard of them, anyhoo, I hope you are well and keeping safe from covid, Kate x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...if you are not a tv watcher, you would not know them.

      Delete
  9. Hi Birgit,

    I'm 0 for 3 this time out but I'd definitely try the last. I LOVE Victor Garber.

    I don't watch many new TV series, though with the various classic TV stations now I have taken to catching up with some series that I was curious about when they originally ran but in those pre-DVR days were on the wrong night. Right now I'm working on Cannon with William Conrad and Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman with Jane Seymour. It's great because I'm able to catch them right from the beginning and since they have a definite ending I don't have to be concerned with getting into them and then suddenly poof they're gone.

    The only new show I did give a look this year is the James Wolk show Ordinary Joe. I watched the whole season but I don't think I'll go back to it if it returns. The acting was good but the multiple story lines were often confusing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not tried ordinary Joe and not sure I will. I think you would like Family Law..it is quite good and the characters are not one dimensional.
      I love the old shows as well and would love to see Cannon. Right now I am watching I Love Lucy for the upteenth time but never ever get tired of it. Bonanza is a favourite of mine and a classic even with Pernell who shows his arrogance in each stance he takes. I am also watching Quantum Leap that must have the longest intro ever:)

      Delete
  10. Ghosts is great. It quickly became a favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't seen Ghosts but know it a remake of a British series. I get the BBC channel so the original series is available on demand...I just haven't quite gotten a chance to see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to see the original but will do that a bit later once I have seen a couple seasons of Ghosts, since i heard it's coming back.

      Delete
  12. Ghosts sounds hilarious.
    Hope you've had a good day.
    Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't normally do sitcoms, but I tried Ghosts and got sucked in (so to speak ;). I haven't seen the other two.

    The only other new show I've been watching is Queens. It's about a rap group from the late '90s who just got back together, and it's a total crazy soap. Not great, but better than another procedural.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait until they find out what "Sucked Off" really means..that will be funny.I saw the previews of Queens which looks very botoxed:)

      Delete
  14. Hmm. Family Law could be fun.
    YOU have a great weekend filled with good health.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Family Law is a good one. My weekend was ok...had my booster on Friday so Saturday was ill but Sunday was much better. Got a lot of little things done.

      Delete
  15. I've barely watched any new TV shows for years ever since I cut cable out of my life. I have to admit Ghosts looks potentially amusing. Otherwise, I think the most recent "new" series I've watched is Schitt's Creek... which I highly recommend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Ghosts. Schitt's Creek is hilarious and watched it from the get go. I am amazed at Catherine O'Hara's voice and how she can create this character with her particular "accent"

      Delete
  16. I have seen Prof T. It is on PBS and I love it. I love the quirky characters and the fact it is funny, but has no laugh track. I haven't seen the other two, but would LOVE to see Family Law. Of course, I can't get it here in the states, apparently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like prof. T as well. Maybe Family Law will come to you one day...it's a good show

      Delete
  17. Just stopped by to say hey. Hope you're having a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am having a good day and hope you are having the same

      Delete
  18. I haven't seen any of these! But- it's always fun to hear about new shows. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete