Wednesday, January 5, 2022

Music Fest For January

 


"Get off the table!" I yelled...Kaspar...."Yah, ok, let me ponder that while I stare at you." January and soon it will be Little Christmas or 3 King's Day. I know there is a 3rd title for January 6th but I can't recall. This is actually when the Ukrainians celebrate their Christmas which is when the 3 kings finally make it to see the babe in a manger. If I was a Ukrainian, I would feel mighty on edge right now and I do, even though I am not a Ukrainian. On a better note, I find January one of reflection, hope, fears, what will happen next?, and hating winter (I don't). Anyhoo, I thought it fun to listen to some memories so here are 3 picks from me to you.

1. THANKS FOR THE MEMORY SUNG BY BOB HOPE & SHIRLEY ROSS-1938


This song became the hit for the film, "The Big Broadcast of 1938" won the Oscar for best song and became Bob Hope's signature tune for the rest of his career. It's about a divorced couple who meet and reunite by singing this song. It was composed by Ralph Raingert with lyrics by Leo Robin. I always loved this song.

2. MEMORIES-THE WAY WE WERE SUNG BY BARBRA STREISAND-1973


This major hit song came from the film "The Way We Were" starring Barbra Streisand and Robert Redford and remains a great song while the film is romantic hoo haa. It was created by Alan & Marilyn Bergman and Marvin Hamlisch. It's all about love and how wondrous it all was before it went to hell and a hand basket. (I think that's the cliche saying). Funny, it was not even up for a Oscar nom. 

3. MEMORIES SUNG BY BETTY BUCKLEY-1982


Forget Cats, the film version which I still want to see, I went with the original Broadway recording with Betty Buckley in the role. She played the mom in "Eight Is Enough" a TV show where dad marries this lady after his wife dies. I had no idea Betty had such an amazing voice until I saw her perform this on Johnny Carson. I bought the album right away and I actually saw this musical 4 times, somehow. Elaine Paige originated the role of Grizabella, the former glamourous cat, now old and mangy, on the London stage in 1981, but I prefer Betty Buckley singing this since she originated it in North America and nails it. Barbra Streisand also sang this song which many people prefer. I listened to Jennifer Hudson sing it and it's ok but not a favourite and that white cat, who likes smelly cat, can't sing! Oh this is  from Andrew lloyd Webber from the poems about cats by T. S. Elliot.  Man, I have to see this movie. 

Looking back...any memory song you can think of?


20 comments:

  1. Hi, Birgit!

    Golly, dear friend, you must have used a high speed camera to capture such a clear image of Kaspar in rapid motion as he sprang into action after you told him to get off the table. :)

    It's been many years since I heard Bob Hope's theme song "Thanks For The Memory," but I heard it often throughout childhood and later youth. Coincidentally, Bob Hope appears in my new post this morning doing a comedy sketch with Jack Benny near the end of the Beach Boys' performance of "California Girls." I appreciate knowing that the song "Thanks For The Memory" was introduced in The Big Broadcast of 1938 by Bob Hope and Shirley Ross. I think I told you that I always liked Bob Hope, even when younger, hipper comedians came along and his old school style was no longer fashionable.

    Mrs. Shady #1 and I saw The Way We Were in the theater upon its release. Good thing we took along a box of tissues because we both blubbered. She was especially fond of the film's theme song sung by Barbra, and we bought the record. In the fall of 2022 it will be 49 years since that movie hit theaters. That's not a typo! Is it just me, or does "going to hell in a handbasket" sound like big fun?

    When I was an NLP trainer, we traveled as a group to NYC where we saw Cats. Betty Buckley does indeed have a powerful yet refined voice and does a sensational job performing "Memory." You mentioned Jennifer Hudson, and I want to recommend the 2021 film Respect which stars Hudson in the lead role of Queen of Soul Aretha Franklin. Mrs. Shady and I watched it a few nights ago and it's great.

    Thanks for the memories of these memory songs, dear friend BB. I just bought a box of Good & Plenty and I'll be joining you tamale in the balcony "At The Movies!" Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Kaspar is fast when he knows he is in trouble:). Yes! I watched this on your blog and thoroughly enjoyed it. I still find Bob and the rest funny. I love Jack Benny. I can’t believe that movie is almost 50 years old....this does not compute! I want to see Jennifer as Aretha and thanks for reminding me. I will watch this in the next week or so. You have. Great rest of the day!

      Delete
  2. Feast of the Epiphany. My tree always stays up until then, at least, even though we are not a religious family, but I was raised in one. Memory song: I'll be Seeing You...in all the old familiar places.

    Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s the one I forgot! I am the same way as you...everything is still up and still playing Christmas music. Love the song choice!

      Delete
  3. Ukrainians certainly need a little joy right now.
    You really expected Kaspar to listen?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do need a little joy, that’s for sure. Cats ignore and command...we do their bidding.

      Delete
  4. Great memory songs. Though I've long known the memory song from Cats I wasn't familiar with the rest of the musical until a few years ago. Then I bought the DVD of the stage version and fell in love with it. Such wonderful music. I've heard so much bad about the more recent movie version that I'd almost be afraid to see it. But if it shows up somewhere on my TV I will probably watch it.

    I always liked the Dean Martin song "Memories are Made of This". Such a nice upbeat song.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I love that Dean Martin song. I saw the clip where Grizabella sings and it would have been better if the old style makeup was done instead of CGI...it is distracting.

      Delete
  5. Try to remember the kind of September (then I get stuck though I can hear the tune in my head).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And follow..follow, follow. I think that is how it goes. Another great one.

      Delete
  6. I've got several songs that are about memories, but don't have "memory" in the titles: "Reminiscing" by The Little River Band, "Reflections Of My Life" by The Marmalade, "Cowboys to Girls" by The Intruders, and that's just off the top of my head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to listen to some of these which sounds like a good idea.

      Delete
  7. What great song picks.
    That Kaspar is just a doll baby...and king of all he sees:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Actually we've always referred to January 6th as the Epiphany. We listen to Christmas music until then and right after the decorations start coming down! Though it's going to be the 8th this year because of the weekend. We go all out so it will take about a week until we're back to normal. The upside I guess is that it all comes down faster than it goes up!

    Love all three of your choices! The Way We Were is my favorite of the trio. The movie is wonderful, it has a few thorny bits that could be improved and Katie is much too good for Hubbell though she can't see it but it is swooningly romantic overall. The song feds into that feeling and Streisand brings out all its shadings.

    Speaking of Babs being able to get all the nuances of a song her version of Memory is the best in my opinion but Betty Buckley's and Elaine Paige's for that matter are very good indeed.

    Bob Hope wasn't much of a singer but Thanks for the Memory fitted his style and range. Considering his life's work entertaining the troops the sentimentality of the song also fit his image. His partner in song Shirley Ross had a better voice and should be better remembered but complications in her private life kept her career from really taking off.

    The songs that came to mind for me are "I Remember You" sung by countless people and Dean Martin's "Memories Are Made of This".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right! We called it all 3 and I am just now taking down my decorations. I am quite late. I do like The Way We Were and thought she was much better than Hubbell. Bob Hope could at least hold the tune even though he wasn’t a singer which is more than I can say about me...lol. I don’t know enough about Shirley but will be looking her up. I love your choices of songs and hope you come back here.

      Delete
  9. Kaspar looks cutely defiant! ☺ The holiday you're thinking of is Epiphany. I can imagine you're a bit nervous about what lies ahead, after all you've been through the past year. May 2022 offer you only good news/things/experiences! Thanks for the Memory songs. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like my songs and I hope this year will be better..Cross the fingers and toes.

      Delete
  10. Lots of great suggestions by folks here. I went straight to the song "Taxi" by Harry Chapin. What an amazing piece of music for evoking memories from all of our past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to listen to this Bro and may put this on my blog one day...

      Delete