Wednesday, October 12, 2022

Weekly Song Fest..let’s got Autumn

 


I love this artist, Giuseppe Arcimboldo, who, you have to admit, was very creative using fruits, vegetables and grains to create people. I love it. We are now getting into the halfway point in October...jumping Jehosaphat!! I can’t believe where we are already! Soon we will be seeing Halloween stuff beside Christmas stuff...Er...I did already see that, so...never mind. Ok here are my 3 Autumn  music pieces that I enjoy listening to. The last one is a recent love, but I do enjoy hearing it.

1. AUTUMN FROM THE 4 SEASONS BY VIVALDI WRITTEN IN 1718-1720

I love the 4 seasons by Vivaldi and put it on always around this time especially in the car when I travel through some beautiful scenery. There are many variations to the 4 seasons but I found this one, with the tempo, just right. The violinist is the great Frederieke Saeijs, from The Netherlands, performing with the Amsterdam orchestra, just a few of them, whobtruly know how to do this piece justice. It's 11 minutes but it's excellent.

2. AUTUMN LEAVES SUNG BY DORIS DAY- 1956


There are many versions to this song but I really enjoy this one sung by the great Doris Day. This song was written in 1945 by Joseph Kosma with French lyrics by Jacques Prevert and sung by Irene Joachim and Yves Montand but  later, the lyrics were written in English by Johnny Mercer. There is the full instrumental  version made famous by Roger Williams in 1955 that became a #1 hit. 

3. OCTOBER TWILIGHT  BY FRANKIE CARLE AND SUNG BY NAN WRIGHT-1947


This is a good song with a hint of Halloween. Funny, it was written in 1922 by Henry Hadley with lyrics added only in 1947 by Guy Wood. I love the cartoon.

What song makes you feel like going for a drive  to see the fall colours?

5 comments:

  1. Hi, Birgit!

    I was shocked to see the image at the top of your post, dear friend. I did not give you permission to use my Facebook profile pic on your site!

    That featured Dutch violinist turned in a stunning performance of The Four Seasons. As she and the Amsterdam Orchestra played, I could feel the autumn wind blowing and see with mind's eye the leaves tumbling down to the ground.

    I always liked the gentle melody of "Autumn Leaves." Throughout the 1950s, I heard vocal versions performed by Doris, Bing, Nat and other pop and jazz singers, but best remember it as the chart-topping 1955 piano instrumental by Roger Wms.

    "October Twilight" is new to my ears and I enjoyed it. Note the "two hearts were gay" lyrics that were retrofitted by Guy Wood into the 1922 melody.

    Two songs come to mind that are set in summer but project ahead to fall. The first is "See You In September" by The Tempos:

    See you in September
    See you when the summer's through

    The second is "Our Summer Love" by Ruby And The Romantics:

    By the time that the leaves turn brown
    Other loves may come tumbling down
    Ours will last through eternity
    If you will be my summer love.

    I love the wistful quality of Robin Ward's late 1963 hit "Wonderful Summer," a song set in fall that reflects back upon the previous summer. Indeed, Robin's million + selling single didn't chart until late that year, specifically during and after the assassination of President Kennedy. The record topped the chart at super station WLS Chicago throughout the month of December, 1963:

    I want to thank you for giving me
    The most wonderful summer of my life
    And though it broke my heart
    That day we had to part
    I'll always thank you for giving me
    The most wonderful summer of my life

    Finally, there's a song set in winter that reveals remnants of fall, "California Dreamin" by The Mamas And The Papas:

    All the leaves are brown (all the leaves are brown)
    And the sky is gray (and the sky is gray)
    I've been for a walk (I've been for a walk)
    On a winter's day (on a winter's day)

    Enjoy your Wednesday, dear friend BB. I'll be back tamale waiting for you in the balcony-- "At The Movies!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Birgit,

    You should add your music post to the 4M dance party anytime, regardless if it's theme or no-theme week. Vivaldi's Four Season is beautiful anytime. Doris Day had such a lovely, lovely voice, didn't she? Your last song pick is a new oldie for me. I love the vintage sound! Thanks for sharing, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. California Dreamin’ occurred to me too. Even though it says it’s winter, the brown leaves sound autumnal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you everyone for checking this out. Shady-love your musical choices. Maybe, one day, I will join in. Sandra-His work is a work of art that are in museums-hopefully no one throws soup on it-stupid brats. I agree that California Dreamin' is a fall song.

    ReplyDelete