Thursday, August 3, 2023

A Farming We Will Go!

 


I want to say a heartfelt and huge Thank you to everyone who wrote such beautiful congrats to me in last week’s post. I read all of them and I’m sorry I didn’t respond…but I did love it. Thank you!!!

Last week I ate corn on the cob and, yesterday, I picked green beans off of our small garden area. Soon the cherry tomatoes will be going like gang busters which made me think of farms. The first movie that popped into my head was “The Egg And I” but I already spoke about that very funny movie  last year so I  went with the following films…

1. TOBACCO ROAD-1941

This is a better film than I thought it would be and quite funny for a John Ford movie. Charles Grapewin is the lazy ass patriarch of hillbillies on a property that used to be a prosperous farm run by his ancestors. The bank wants the farm but Charly may have a way to get some money to keep the farm plus find a husband for his daughter played by the beautiful Gene Tierney. The film is well acted and directed and worth a look. I hope this is not in Spanish…hard to find a trailer

2. SHENANDOAH-1965

This film stars James Stewart as the patriarch of a large family of boys and one girl. He is a believer in peace and refuses to have his children enter the civil war despite his eldest thinking very differently. Due to unfortunate events the youngest ends up in the war and James and his family go out on the road to bring him home leaving behind one son with that son’s wife and baby home to watch over the farm. The family go through some funny moments, action and some very sad times that really hit me hard. The music is excellent along with the cinematography and the acting. Worth a look.

3. FIELD OF DREAMS-1989

This is, quite rightly, called a Capraesque film that stars Kevin Costner as a young farmer struggling to keep his farm while the mean banks are hot on his heels to grab his tranquil farm. While he is in the corn field, he hears a voice say, “If you build it, he will come”. He looks all around seeing nothing but the voice continues until he sees a young Ray Liotta, playing Shoeless Joe Jackson come out of his cornfield wanting to play ball. At first, only he and his daughter sees the ball players who keep coming out of the corn field but soon, his wife sees them too. He creates a baseball spot and embarks on a journey to find an irascible author, played perfectly by James Earl Jones and an old man, played by Burt Lancaster who always wished he could have played professional baseball. The film is magical, hopeful, sweet and just well acted. When filming wrapped, the outdoor location became a big tourist attraction with many people coming to that farm to play baseball. I don’t know what it’s like now but I hope it still attracts people. 

So what farm movies come into your mind? Ever live on a farm? I didn’t but was surrounded by farms and did pick fruit and veggies when I was young. It’s not easy.

13 comments:

  1. Field of Dreams was the first thing that came to my mind.
    Glad your garden is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A belated but heartfelt congrats. So happy for you.
    Field of Dreams grew on me. I was lukewarm about it the first time I saw it, but with each watching I liked it better and better. Now I love it.
    Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only seen Field of Dreams. Farm movies...? Nothing jumps out at me. Oh, wait. Funny Farm. Can't recall much about it other than title and maybe stars. Not memorable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really great selections, BIRGIT!

    It's been so long since I've seen 'Tobacco Road' that I'd forgotten that Gene Tierney was in it. I'm definitely going to need to re-watch that one again soon! Gene Tierney... Mmm-Mmm *GOOD*!

    The first one that popped into my mind was 'WHAT A WAY TO GO', which is funny because the only thing that is farming-related occurs at the very end when Dean Martin discovers oil while plowing a field on his property. But that ending was so-ooo humorous and memorable that it etched itself into my mind.

    I own on DVD both 'Shenandoah' and 'Field Of Dreams'.

    ~ D-FensDogG

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Birgit!

    Tobacco Road was okay, but I haven’t seen it in years so I’m having a tough time remembering the particulars of the plot. Gene of course was breathtaking even down on the farm.

    Shenandoah is one of Jimmy’s lesser-known films but a good one with an interesting story and good performances. Love the song Shenandoah!

    I know people who think Field of Dreams is a bunch of hooey and corny beyond belief and there are those elements to it but if you go with it the film’s charms are manifold. What a wonderful grace note Burt Lancaster was able to go out with in this movie.

    Places in the Heart came to me first and I was tempted to use the other two farm films (Country with Jessica Lange and The River with Sissy Spacek) that came out at the exact same time as it did but I didn’t think too much of either of them, so I looked elsewhere.

    The Southerner (1945) Zachary Scott (one of his rare sympathetic roles) & Betty Field star as Sam and Nona Tucker a young couple enduring hardships as they struggle to establish a cotton farm in Texas in the early 1940’s. Based on the novel “Hold Autumn in Your Hand” and directed by Jean Renoir the film received Oscar nominations for Best Director, Original Music Score, and Sound.

    Places in the Heart (1984)-Suddenly widowed Edna Spauling (Sally Field) is determined to keep her small farm by winning the prize for being first to bring in her cotton crop. Helped by drifter Moses (Danny Glover), her blind boarder Mr. Will (John Malkovich) and her children Frank and Possum and fueled by her resolve she endures many challenges including a devastating tornado to achieve her goal. Sally won a Best Actress Oscar and gave a now infamous acceptance speech.

    Far from the Madding Crowd (1967)-In the English county of Wessex during Victorian times young Bathsheba Everdene (Julie Christie) inherits her uncle’s large farm and determines to run it herself. Into her sphere enter three disparate men-salt of the earth shepherd Gabriel Oak (Alan Bates), slightly more mature gentleman farmer William Boldwood (Peter Finch) and moody impetuous Lt. Frank Troy (Terence Stamp). As the three vie for her affection in their diverse ways challenges arise that could lead to tragedy for all. Beautiful looking film with absolutely gorgeous cinematography.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed Tobacco Road but saw it recently. Shenandoah is such a sad film but well done and, I too, love the song. Yeah, people today like to diss this film, I think, because it stars Kevin Costner but I think it's quite a good film and worth the positive reviews.
      I haven't seen Amy of your picks..I know! I had no desire to see Sally on the farm but I will see it now. I haven't seen Far From either and it's another I really want to see. I am very intrigued by your middle pick as I love Jean Renoir

      Delete
  6. Kevin Costner seems to do really well in baseball movies, and "Field Of Dreams" is one of the best. The end can be kind of hard to watch, because it's one of those father and son moments. It really hit me hard the first time I saw it.

    It's less of a farming movie than a rancher one, but I always liked "Babe," about a little pig whose owner trains him to work as a sheepdog. The end of that one is beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't seen any of these, but I have heard of Field of Dreams. I enjoyed reading your take on each of them, though. Sorry I'm late visiting. Life got in the way this week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is fabulous. Recently we were talking about farmers and how valuable they are to us. Evil politicians and others are always trying to squash these folks livelihood who keep us all fed. They (evil politicians & company) I think they're working toward a controlled global source of produce forcing 99% of the world's population to rely on. I totally admire those who work the field to feed others or those who raise one for personal use. It's super hard work. I haven't seen these movies but have heard of them. Thanks for sharing, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Corn on the cob and fresh green beans, yum.
    Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love these choices! Shenandoah in particular.

    ReplyDelete