Wednesday, August 30, 2023

Back To School…Yikes!

 


To this day, I still get the shudders when I hear back to school and would rather think back to my vacation. By the way, this is my hubby’s Aunt’s view from her livingroom. I was  going to post songs about back to school but I thought I’d rather post 3 songs that were huge in 1983, the year I went to university. I am joining Monday Music Moves Me over at Curious As A Cathy, a wonderful blog created by a wonderful lady. So here they are…

1.  EVERY BREATH YOU TAKE BY THE POLICE

You know, I’m not a big Police fan although I do really like this song that was a humongous hit in 1983. As much as I like this song, I hate, I mean, hate, “Roxanne”…it’s very annoying to the extreme. I had no idea the band members hated each others guts and were in fisticuffs while creating this song and others at the height of their fame.

2. SWEET DREAMS ARE MADE OF THIS BY THE EURYTHEMICS 

I love the Eurythmics especially the wildly talented Annie Lennox and this was a great song with a great video that seemed a little weird. Actually, Dave Stewart reminded me of the great director Josef Von Sternberg who had Marlene Dietrich as his muse whereas Stewart had Annie Lennox. They created some great tunes and I have their greatest hits CD.

3. COME ON, EILEEN BY DEXY’S MIDNIGHT RAIDERS

This is such a great 80s song that I danced to so many times that I can’t count. It’s considered an iconic new wave song and is one of the best of the 80s. I just find it fun!


What songs came out when you went to school, be it grade, high school or college/university?


8 comments:

  1. I thought I'd stop by and actually leave a comment-:) Those songs remind me of when I started teaching. I'm so glad I don't have to go back to school now-even though those are great songs! Hope all has been well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apparently Hold Me Close by David Essex was Number 1 here the week I went to uni (late Sept 1975). Hmm, didn’t do it for me. Of yours the standout is Sweet Dreams. I think I have all the Eurythmics CDs and several Annie Lennox solo ones.

    I can’t stand Sting in particular. It’s amusing that people choose Every Breath You Take as a wedding song when it’s clearly about a stalker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Birgit,

    If you just listen to "Every Breath You Take" in an off-hand way based strictly on the musicality of it the song is beautiful and haunting. I am not sure the lyrics were written with the intent to be stalkerish. Looked at in a certain light it could just be a man's internal thoughts of how much he adores his partner, but there is no question obsession is what comes through.

    I saw The Police in concert years ago, it was a big open air festival at JFK Stadium in Philadelphia (just before they condemned it as unsafe!) where they were the headliners and three other bands played before them-Madness, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, and as the opening act REM!-they were just beginning to find some success and we had no clue who they were! The Police were excellent from my somewhat distant vantage point, I ventured into what was basically the mosh pit only for my favorite of their songs "Walking on the Moon" but the press of people and all the garbage on the ground was just too much. Still a wonderful time, all four bands were terrific.

    I'm a fan of The Eurythmics too! Lots of wonderful music but "Sweet Dreams" is hard to top.

    I am much less a fan of "Come On, Eileen". I don't hate it but after the endless radio play it received in its day if I never hear it again, I would be fine with that.

    Really had to put my thinking cap on for this and confess I had to Goggle to remember what the big songs were the year I graduated from high school, and which of those I was a fan of. 😊

    Sorry I know it's three, but I cannot decide! Even with the four I'm leaving off a bunch that I love! Anyway, the top four are:

    Strawberry Letter 23-The Brothers Johnson
    You Don't Have to be a Star-Marilyn McCoo & Billy Davis
    Lonely Boy-Andrew Gold
    Carry On My Wayward Son-Kansas

    And I'd throw the entire Fleetwood Mac "Rumors" album in as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1983 was a good year for music. The Police reminded me that I had a job at a small company during 1983. The owner was also a pilot and flew his children to a nearby city for a Police concert. Good times back then! (no, I wasn't invited)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You got some good ones here, Birgit. I didn't know that about the Police. It would be difficult working that closely with people you didn't like.
    Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1983 was a great year for music. I love all of these. I went to college a few years later, by which time I could not stomach Top 40 radio.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The second one still gives me the creeps. But I remember all of them. Just behind you in years.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had to laugh at your take on Roxanne by The Police, I was at a wedding a few years ago where the bride's name was Roxanne. The band played that song at the wedding and several of us who actually knew the words thought it was offensive.

    I like both your first two songs, but have never heard of the third one.

    When I was in school, my friends were listening to bubble gum or disco. I was a throw back and listening to Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, etc.

    ReplyDelete