Wednesday, August 23, 2023

Which Song Won The Oscars- 1967

 

I'm joining the Monday Music Moves Me even though it's Wednesday because I like posting this on Wednesdays. Cathy, over at Curious as A Cathy, is a co-host and this week it's about animals. I knew this Oscar guess would fit right in so let's see if you can guess who won the Oscar, who was nominated and who came up with nuttin!

1. TALK TO THE ANIMALS SUNG BY REX HARRISON


Sexy Rexy starred in a couple of famous musicals, My Fair Lady and Dr. Doolittle even though he was not a singer. He actually talked through the songs but he does it effectively. In this mess of a film he plays Dr. Doolittle, a vet who understands and can talk to animals. He ends up on an adventure with an annoying British kid, Anthony Newley, who was always irritating and the lovely Samantha Eggar. Anywho, he sings this song which was written by Leslie Bricusse.

2. TO SIR, WITH LOVE SUNG BY LULU

This song was written by Mark Lindon and Don Black for the film of the same name that starred Sidney Poitier as a no nonsense teacher trying to get ruffians to study.

3. THE BARE NECESSITIES SUNG BY PHIL HARRIS & BRUCE REITHERMAN

This is such a fun song from the animated Disney classic, "The Jungle Book". I just love that bear! This was written by Terry Gilkyson.

So which song won the Oscar, which was nominated and which one came up empty handed? 


15 comments:

  1. Should have been "Bare Necessities." Jungle Book is the best Disney movie musically. Unless you count Sleeping Beauty but then you're taking a lot of credit for Tchaikovsky's work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you..Bare Necessities should have won and it is a crime that To Sir was not even nominated. Tal to the Animals won…really?

      Delete
  2. I suspect it was either Talking to the Animals or Bare Necessities because I am always wrong on the song I would choose, in this case To Sir With Love, which I bet got nada.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right…To Sir got nadda! It was a huge furor at the time and Talk to the Animals won which lead to audible gasps from the audience leaving Bare Necessities being nominated.

      Delete
  3. I'm clueless:) Though, I did enjoy the songs:) Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes…I’ll let you know who won etc, in tomorrow’s post.

      Delete
  4. For some reason I have "To Sir, With Love" in my head as having been in the Oscars, so I'll go with that as the winner (total guess). "Bare Necessities" nominated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To sir with Love wasn’t even nominated which was a huge stink at the time. Talk t9 the Animals won with audible gasps in the audience and Bare Necessities was nominated.

      Delete
  5. Hi Birgit!

    I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that To Sir, With Love wasn't nominated and there was a big stink about its exclusion. Talk to the Animals is such a dumb song (at least I always thought so) it had to be nominated for you to list it but I'm almost certain that The Bare Necessities is the one that won.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is Birgit…Talk to the Animals is ok but no great shakes but…it won the Oscar to many gasps in the audience. To Sir, With Love got nuttin! Bare Necessities was nominated but I would have chosen that song to win if I could have.

      Delete
  6. Hi sis! Without reading the comments, I will guess Talk to the Animals won the Oscar and Bare Necessities was nominated. I think the original cartoon version of Jungle Book remains my favourite animated Disney movie, largely because of the music. As for To Sir With Love, this has long been another favourite of mine and I've always admired Lulu's vocal range in full display here.

    And just before publishing this comment, I read all the comments. Looks like I nailed it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You did nail it! It was a big uproar that To Sir was not up for any awards and then Talk to The Animals won which many thought otherwise. I love BARE NECESSITIES but..I still have to see this film. Did you see it when Camden was little?you know..adjusting to inflation, this is still in the top 6 money makers ever.

      Delete
    2. You haven't seen this?!?! Ohhhhhh, it's a treat. It has a real charm to it. Yeah, I saw it over and over when Camden was young. I kind of miss it now. :-)

      Delete
  7. I recall that To Sir With Love wasn't nominated and, in my humble opinion, it should have won. Otherwise, I don't have a clue. I would guess Dr. Doolittle won but I would have put it last if I was in charge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was so certain that The Bare Necessities would be the right answer, before reading the comments!

    ReplyDelete