Wednesday, July 7, 2021

Weekly Song Challenge

 


July is already here...crazy! I’m going to get right into this challenge created by Jingle, Jangle, Jungle. Just so everyone knows, I always mean to reply to your comments but I lose time (no, I have not been taken by aliens). I do listen to all your musical choices and love many..except for heavy metal (sorry Alex🥰) but I do listen to the end. I will try to be better in the future..I always strive to be better. Here are the three themes for this week:

A SONG WITH A COUNTRY IN THE TITLE
A SONG WITH A COLOUR IN THE TITLE
A SONG ABOUT A PROFESSION

1.  DON’T CRY FOR ME ARGENTINA SUNG BY PATTI LUPONE-1978


This song, written by Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice came out on an LP sing by Julie Covington  back in 1976 but became famous when it became a musical, "Evita" in 1978. In England , it became famous with Elaine Page as Evita but when it came to the States, Patti Lupone made this role her own. One day I would like to see this in the theatre. This show was made into a movie with Madonna as the star and she did this role quite well. Madonna never looked so good during this period.  

2.  BLUE SKIES SUNG BY  DORIS DAY  ORIGINAL SONG FROM 1926


Ok I almost went with Bing Crosby who sang this in the film “Blue Skies” in 1946   and White Christmas (with Danny Kaye) in 1954 but I went with good ole Doris this time. The song originated from  a musical called “Betsy”  not a very good musical by Rodgers and Hart. This song was a last minute substitute written by Irving Berlin, sung by Belle Baker and it received 24 curtain calls! It is quite an uplifting song and has been sung by many greats from Fred Astaire to Bing Crosby, Ella Fitzgerald and many others. 

3.  THE LOG DRIVER'S WALTZ SUNG BY THE MOUNTAIN CITY FOUR- 1979


This song was was composed by Wade Hemsworth around 1956/57, who is a noted Canadian folk singer. He would watch the French log rollers on the river and thought they looked like dancers as they balanced on the logs as it went down the river.. My dad worked in Algonquin Park back in the 1930s in a lumber camp. He would, occasionally, be on the river but didn’t like it at all. He once saw a fellow worker slip on the very slippery logs and fall between the logs. It closed up right and the man drowned. It was a very dangerous job and he said the Frenchmen were the best at it. Anyway, I always think of my mom and dad when I watch this very famous short film from the National Film Board of Canada. The 2 sisters, Kate and Anna McGarrigle, made this version of the song famous in Canada. It’s famous even if it is not well known and was featured on our Canadian stamps (The Film Board Vignette series).

What can you think of?

15 comments:

  1. Hi, Birgit!

    I am here to take the Weekly Song Challenge with you, dear friend!

    I enjoyed the number by Patti Lupone. Mrs. Shady and I watched her for years in the main character role of the mom on the family-oriented TV drama Life Goes On. Patti was given the chance to sing in several episodes of the series which ran from 1989 to 1993.

    The late Doris Day had a beautiful voice for singing and for speaking her lines in films. Her soft, clear, pure vocal on "Blue Skies" resonates with me and I thank you for selecting it.

    "The Log Driver's Waltz" might be the quintessential work song, famous in Canada but new to my ears. Thanks for sharing the anecdote about your dad's hazardous occupation on the river. I can picture that poor worker slipping through the heavy logs, being trapped beneath them and drowning.

    Here are my picks:

    COUNTRY SONG: I think we did this one a few weeks ago, because I remember picking "Norwegian Wood." This time, I'm going with "China Girl," a song written by Iggy Pop and David Bowie. Both artists released versions of the song, Iggy in 1977, and Bowie in 1983, the latter a top 10 hit in the U.S. The song was reportedly inspired by Iggy's fondness for a Vietnamese woman, but there was also speculation that it was a drug song about "speedballing," mixing heroin and cocaine. China White refers to heroin and "girl" is slang for coke.

    COLOR SONG: "Navy Blue," the signature song of pop singer Diane Renay. Released at the end of 1963, Diane's single brushed the top 5 in March, 1964, and was covered by several other artists including Connie Dee and Donna Lynn.

    PROFESSION SONG: "Convoy," the chart-topping 1975 novelty record by C. W. McCall about a cross-country convoy of tractor-trailer rigs whose drivers were protesting the 55 mph speed limit and other restrictions placed on long distance truckers.

    Enjoy your Wednesday, dear friend BB! I'll buy the popcorn and meet you tamale in the balcony "At The Movies!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m glad you like my picks and my dad’s occupation, I listened to all these songs and I always liked China Girl. I never heard the Iggy Pop version but I still love Bowie’s. I had no clue that it could be about drugs...that’s how naive I am. Convoy was such a humongous hit even making a movie about this. The school made sure our bus drivers had these installed but the bus drivers kept using it and taking up time, they were told off by their superiors and then the mikes were taken out. I never heard this song about colour and I enjoyed listening to it.

      Delete
  2. That last one is funny.
    Is Mars a country? Peach a color? A Self Destructor a profession? I could get all three with Chevelle's latest album.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One band covering all 3 and I listened to them but ...ughhh, not for me. I am amazed that you can listen to this while writing. You probably think the same way with my classical music.

      Delete
  3. Don't Cry For Me Argentina is so moving.
    As always, great picks.
    Hope today is filled with fun and pain free.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so heartfelt and she does the song justice. Pain is ever present...

      Delete
  4. Lost in France - Bonnie Tyler
    Blue Savannah - Erasure
    Son of a preacher man - Dusty Springfield

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I listened to all 3 and love them! Bonnie Tyler has such a great voice and so does Dusty. I never knew Erasure even though they seem to be from my fun times way back when.

      Delete
  5. You always find great songs for this challenge. That first one is wonderful. I saw Evita on stage in Wichita. Local artists were joined by traveling well known performers. It showed for five performances and was a sell out every time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen other productions from local areas and I am not talking about the famous Shaw Festival theatre or even Stratford. I have seen regional productions that were very good.

      Delete
  6. I love it! You have some great picks this week. Thanks for playing along!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Patty Lupone. My choices: 1. Back In The USSR by The Beatles 2. Brown Eyed Girl by Van Morrison 3. 9 to 5 by Dolly Parton

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gret choices... love Back in the USSR which the Beatles sing With such force. Brown-eyed Girl is a wonderful song by Morrison and 9to 5 is such a fun song with. Very funny film.

      Delete