Wednesday, July 21, 2021

Weekly Song Challenge

 


I am so late writing this up. I meant to do this on the weekend but bad pain crippled me up and, yesterday, feeling much better, I was out and about (am on vacation for 2 weeks!!). Today I wanted to play in my craft room with this evening spent watching "The Green Mile." I believe Jingle, Jangle, Jungle chose these 3 themes before but there are plenty of songs that fit the mix so here  are the themes:

A SONG WITH A MONTH IN THE TITLE

A SONG WITH A DAY OF THE WEEK IN THE TITLE

A SONG WITH A UNIT OF MEASURE IN THE TITLE

1. JUNE IS BUSTIN' OUT ALL OVER SUNG BY CLARAMAE TURNER & BARBARA RUICK-1956

This is a song by the legendary Rogers & Hammerstein from their musical, "Carousel". It first was shown on Broadway in 1945 but became a musical for the screen in 1956 (along with many of their other musicals). I had the Ding-A-Ling song going through my head much of the day thanks to John but, thankfully, that went out of my head when I was thinking up this song. I wanted something from June since that is my birthday month and this came into my head. Sorry Shady, it is another musical but I wanted the song to come from something I used to watch all the time when I was a kid. 

2. ANOTHER SATURDAY NIGHT SUNG BY SAM COOKE-1963


Saturday is my favourite day of the week which is what most people say. Work has something to do with it but I just feel like it is a day to get things done or to have fun. I no longer feel the need to go out Saturday night as i would rather be home watching a movie. I think I first heard this song by Cat Stevens but I went with Sam Cooke who, sadly, died a year after this song was done. He was murdered or it could be justifiable homicide. If anyone wants to give their 2 cents, I would love to read about this. He did love women and, apparently, this song was written when no women were allowed into the hotel rooms at night...strange. 

3. AROUND THE UNIVERSE IN 80 DAYS BY KLAATU-1977


Didn't expect this one coming did ya? I love Klaatu and, I think my brother is the one who introduced me to this. I liked "Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft" which is mostly known from The Carpenters, but Klaatu were the original song writers and singers of that song. This song was written by Dee Long after hearing about his band mate's, John Woloschuk, conceptual idea for the album. It seems John was the one who often wrote the songs but not this one. Yes, he got the idea from Jules Verne's "Around the World in 80 Days." This Canadian Band rocks with inventiveness and a unique way of bringing rock and classical together (using the London Philharmonic for the songs).  

I'm off to bed and forgive any grammar errors. Which songs would you choose?

11 comments:

  1. Hi, Birgit!

    I'm very sorry you were ailing earlier in the week, dear BB, and happy to know that you are feeling better now that Wednesday has rolled around.

    I am here to take the WSC with you, dear friend. Keep in mind one of the most important rules of the game:

    Please, no wagering.

    I laud you for posting songs and movie clips that inspired and influenced you early in life including show tunes, broadway musicals and musical film adaptations. I am here to learn, and I thank you for sharing. That's what blogging is all about. I well remember the song "June Is Bustin' Out All Over" from the R&H musical Carousel. Coincidentally, I once dated an exotic dancer named June who.... (you can fill in the rest).

    Great pick for day of the week song! Sam Cooke is a favorite of mine and so is Saturday, especially Saturday morning, a time when many of us busy ourselves with hobbies and other fun leisure time activities.

    I also love your unit of measure song "Around the Universe in Eighty Days." Released on Klaatu's 1977 prog rock album Hope, described as “an elaborate sci-fi prog opera," "Universe" is a grand multi-tiered opus. It reminds me a little of Bowie's "Space Oddity" and there are also reminders of The Beatles, Moody Blues and Pink Floyd. One reviewer believes the rock opera themed Hope album is a rip-off of Queen.

    Here are my picks:

    MONTH SONG: "Regions Of May," from the 1967 album One Nation Underground by the one-man art-rock band Pearls Before Swine, a creation of singer, songwriter and musician Tom Rapp. "Regions Of May" is one of the most beautiful and poetic songs I've ever heard:

    Who created mist
    Created your smile
    And who created rainbows
    Created you

    My mind
    Is all entwined
    In fragrant fields of flowers
    And the scent
    Puts me outside my mind

    The past
    The rain
    Your face, mist and rainbows
    Flowers
    And the rain
    Are you

    DAY OF WEEK SONG: "Sunday Mornin' Comin' Down," penned by Kris Kristofferson, first waxed in 1969 by Ray Stevens, and a #1 hit on the Country chart for Johnny Cash. Johnny sang the song on a 1974 episode of Columbo that Mrs. S and I just watched in which he appeared in the role of a country & gospel superstar who murdered his wife. (Spoiler alert: Columbo solved the case and arrested Cash.)

    UNIT OF MEASURE SONG: "2000 Light Years From Home," another spacey song like the one you picked, this one from the Rolling Stones' 1967 psych-rock album Their Satanic Majesties Request.

    I hope you continue to feel better, dear friend Birgit. I'll see you tamale in the balcony "At The Movies!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am feeling better which is always good. I am glad you like my picks and Klaatu is considered pro. I heard of Prog but never knew what kind of music that is. I guess I now know:). I love your choices. The first one is so unique and it truly is a love poem. The second one, I never heard before but I like Johnny Cash and listened to that version (Not Columbo). The Rolling Stones always loved challenging themselves and this is a really good piece. As for the did June bust you out all over? Hee hee

      Delete
    2. The intended joke was that June was bustin' out all over in her skimpy, tight-fitting dress. :)

      Delete
  2. Very cool! I'll play along, if you don't mind.

    Sometimes It Snows in April - Prince
    Manic Monday - The Bangles (written by Prince)
    Around the World in a Day - Prince

    Are you sensing a theme?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do sense a theme! I am happy you are playing along and love these choices. prince is classic and I was so sad when he died...way too young. I almost went with Manic Monday but I am not a Monday person so I went with my favourite day of the week.

      Delete
  3. Sorry your pain has been bad: hope you continue to feel better.

    It might as well rain until September (Bobby Vee)
    Looking for the heart of Saturday night (Tom Waits)
    500 miles (Proclaimers)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to be so slow to get to you! This heat has been a real bugger! That... and for some reason I don't get notifications when you comment on my blog (I'm not sure why, because I get everyone elses) Your last song was very different!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry you've been in pain. My sciatica is a little better now. I like your picks although I'm only tangentially familiar with the 3rd because of The Carpenters. I listened to the group, though, and thought they had an interesting sound. My choices: 1. April Love is the title of a movie (1957) and a hit song sung by Pat Boone, who starred in the movie. 2. Monday Monday -- a hit song by The Mamas & The Papas in 1966. 3. I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) -- a hit for The Proclaimers. It was featured in the movie Benny & Joon (1993) and that was where I first heard it. I love the movie chiefly because of Johnny Depp's imitations of Buster Keaton's comedy.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete