Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Weekly Song Challenge

 


I have been enjoying my time off and have been busy organizing parts of my craft room (the bottom half with tons of pictures plus empty boxes that I got rid of). I found all the pictures my mom took of her Faberge style egg art and will create a scrapbook for my brother. She created some amazing pieces that I had forgotten so it was nice seeing it. Tuesday hubby and I spent some mulah on bathroom tiles because we need to get our downstairs bathroom done. I hate trying to rush upstairs in the middle of the night to go to the loo. This is another fun filled musical week over a Jingle, Jangle, Jungle with her 3 themes listed below and then my choices....enjoy!

A SONG WITH A BEVERAGE IN THE TITLE

A SONG WITH A FRUIT IN THE TITLE

A SONG WITH A FLOWER IN THE TITLE

1. TEA FOR TWO SUNG BY DORIS DAY & GORDON MACREA-1950


This song was composed by Vincent Youman with lyrics by Irving Caesar for the musical "No, No Nanette" in 1924. It is a sweet song which was showcased in the 1950 musical, "Tea For Two" starring Doris Day and Gordon MacCrea. I saw the film years ago which was all sugar but Doris and Gordon were great in it.

2. THE LADY IN THE TUTTI FRUTTI HAT SUNG BY CARMEN MIRANDA-1943


This is from the film, "The Gang's All Here" composed by Harry Warren with lyrics by Leo Robin and sung by the original Carmen Miranda (she starts at the 1:44 mark) who was known as the Brazilian Bombshell. She actually did create hats back in the 1920s before she became famous but she is known for these very kooky fruit headdresses she would wear. It's a shame she died in 1955 at only 46 from a heart attack because she had so much more to offer. By the way, Busby Berkeley, the director of this musical number, apparently got by the censors to create some sexual imagery  using bananas and strawberries with the gals. Hmmmmm...

3. ORANGE BLOSSOM SPECIAL PLAYED BY DON RICH & THE BUCKAROOS-1961


My mom had (and I have it now) a 45 with "Wheels" on the A side and this song on the B side. I played it all the time because I loved the song. My mom loved it because my brother would dance to "Wheels" when he was a little over 1 year old or so. I was enthralled at how fast the fiddle was being played. I tried looking for the 45 but I had a hard time bending down to look through my records so I will double check if these are the lads who played it but it is from the right time. This song was composed by Ervin T. Rouse in 1938 and it was about a passenger train called the Orange Blossom. Cool, eh?

Which 3 can you think up?


15 comments:

  1. Hi, Birgit!

    I love your picks, dear friend! I could watch and listen to Doris Day all day long and not grow tired of her. When she performed, she radiated warmth and light.

    Carmen Miranda was a household name in my childhood. I remember Looney Tunes character Bugs Bunny imitating her and her fruit laden headdress in one of his cartoon shorts. As you might recall, the footage of the showgirls dancing with their huge bananas was used on a custom made Lennon Sisters video I posted last Christmas.

    I remember Buck Owens and The Buckaroos as the house band on Hee Haw, the country music variety TV series inspired by the success of 1960s rural comedies and by Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In. Ihe show was intended to be country's answer to the latter. I found it interesting that Buck Owens and The Buckaroos were major developers of the music sub-genre known as "The Bakersfield (CA) Sound," described by Wiki as follows: << the first subgenre of country music significantly influenced by rock and roll, relying heavily on electric instrumentation and a strongly defined backbeat. >> I have often heard the fiddle tune "Orange Blossom Special," which refers to the passenger train of the same name. The first TV station where I worked as a newsman carried several country music programs including Hee Haw and The Porter Wagoner Show. I noticed back then what I noticed today in this "Orange Blossom Special" clip. Musicians, especially country & western musicians, often feigned surprise at how well they were playing a tune. In a typical solo performance, you would see the artist raise his or her eyebrows and break into a big excited smile as if they had just surprised themselves with their own talent. Other musicians on stage with them would also hype it up and "overreact" to the solo artist's playing. It was a way of selling the song, making the audience believe they were seeing and hearing something really special, a great moment in music history. I recall SNL players and other comedians doing parodies of music artists who routinely engaged in such exaggerated gesticulation and facial reactions to their own performances.

    Here are my selections:

    BEVERAGE SONG: "Tequila," the 1958 Mexican-style rock & roll instrumental crossover hit (#1 on both the pop and the R&B chart) recorded by the Champs. Featuring a "dirty sax" solo, "Tequila" is based on a Cuban mambo beat.

    FRUIT SONG: Another instrumental hit - "Tangerine" - the 1940s jazz standard, popularized in the disco era by the Salsoul Orchestra, a top 20 hit for the band in 1976.

    FLOWER SONG: "A White Sport Coat (And A Pink Carnation)" by
    Marty Robbins With Ray Conniff, a single that topped the country chart and went top 3 on Billboard and Cash Box in the spring of 1957.

    Thanks for the music & memories, dear friend BB. I'll see you tamale in the balcony "At The Movies!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Marty Robbins so this song was fun to listen to and one I had not heard of before. I listened to the 70s version of Tangerine which is typical disco upbeat but I do prefer the original. I love Tequila and thought this song was from the 1960s so this one is a prelude to the surfing songs that were going to come out in the 60s. I hated Hee Haw and would get an instant headache when it came on..hahahaa. My uncle loved it. You are so right about their faces always looking surprised..hahahaaa. I never thought of that before but it is obviously a gimmick for us lemmings to follow to. I am glad you love Doris and Carmen who was such a fixture in the 40s. Have a wondrous day!

      Delete
  2. I LOVE The Orange Blossom Special. Fun music.
    Hope you are having a feeling good day.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you like this fun song. I am not the best but that is ok. I still will be active.

      Delete
  3. Rum and Coca Cola - The Andrew Sisters; Yes, We Have No Bananas - Loius Prima; and Everything's Coming up Roses - Ethel Merman. Fun songs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denise, your "Rum and Coca Cola" reminded me that I could have scored DOUBLE fruit points for the song "Put the lime in the coconut and drink 'em both together." :)

      Delete
    2. I enjoyed listening to all 3 of your songs and love I have no Bananas. Ethel Merman was such a powerhouse

      Delete
  4. I have never heard any of those songs before, but I sure like that you shared them with us. I loved the one with Doris Day.

    How nice you found photos of your mother's eggs. Maybe you can share your scrapbook pages with us once the pages are finished. Good luck with finishing your downstairs loo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will share some pics of my mom's eggs here. She was such a talent. Doris is great!

      Delete
  5. Whiskey in the jar. Thin Lizzy version for me.
    Strawberry Fields forever. Goes without saying!
    Build me up Buttercup. Foundations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strawberry Fields is perfect. Love the Thin Lizzy version for sure and Jingle picked Buttercup too and love that song.

      Delete
  6. You should hear Charlie McCoy play "Orange Blossom Special" on the harmonica...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will take a listen....OK...Wowzers! He was great on the harmonica. I wish I could be that talented.

      Delete
  7. Birgit~
    Sorry to be so slow to get to your page this week. This heat has been really hard on me lately. I just wanted to say thanks for joining in this week (I really enjoyed your selections)!

    ReplyDelete