Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Oscar Songs 1939

 


I thought I might as well tackle the big year of 1939 and see if you can guess which song won the Oscar, which was nominated and came up empty handed not even getting nominated. Over at Monday Music Moves Me  the theme is movie music and boy that packs a wallop! I could do songs for each year never mind scores like Dr. Zhivago or Gone With The Wind. Ok, here are 3 and see if you can guess correctly.

1. GOOD MORNING SUNG BY JUDY GARLAND & MICKEY ROONEY

We know this song from the great musical, “Singing in the Rain” that stars Gene Kelly but this song harkens back to these young teens who sang it in the film called, “Babes In Arms”. The song was created by Nacio Herb Brown(music) and Arthur Freed(lyrics)  and Freed became quite famous for his Freed Unit which produced many top notch musicals including “Singing in The Rain”.

2. SOMEWHERE OVER THE RAINBOW SUNG BY JUDY GARLAND

This is a very famous song and became Judy Garland’s theme song for the rest of her life. In fact, you can watch her sing this song from this innocent style to a heart-wrenching version that always puts a tear in my eye. If you want, you can view it here. This song was written by Harold Arlen(music) and Yip Harburg(lyrics) and they had to fight Louis B. Mayor and the other big wigs who wanted this song taken out of the film thinking it slowed it down. Thankfully, the musicians won. 

3.  I POURED MY HEART INTO A SONG SUNG BY RUDY VALLEE

This came from the film, “Second Fiddle”  often known as Irving Berlin’s musical since he wrote all the songs. It stars that hunk of a man Tyrone Power and Sonja Henie, the famous Norwegian Olympian figure skater who was famous in the 1930s for making many musicals. The audience loved her even though she had a thick accent and couldn’t act that well so most of her films were big box office.

So, which song won the Oscar, which was nominated and which one got nadda? 

Which movie songs can you think of?

14 comments:

  1. Hi Birgit!

    Well the winner is a snap. I know Over the Rainbow won because it's usually referred to as "the Oscar winning song Somewhere Over the Rainbow" and most deservedly too. It captures a longing for a place of tranquility and refuge better than almost any other song.

    The challenge comes in the other two but I'm going to say the far more popular "Good Morning" came up empty handed since "I Poured My Heart into a Song" seems too obscure to be here without it receiving a nod.

    As far as movie songs go it's usually the films that produced popular theme songs such as "The Way We Were" or "Love is a Many Splendored Thing" (LOVE the song, didn't like the movie) that come to mind first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you are so right and I knew everyone will get who the winner is. I never heard of the Oscar nominated but I think like you and you are right.
      I love your picks and ughh that Many Splendid yawn is such a dredge. Well, it stars Jennifer yawns...poor thing but she doesn't do it for me except I do like Portrait of Jennie but more for the style and Joseph Cotton.

      Delete
  2. What a great playlist. Love them all.

    Have a fabulous day and rest of the week. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. The third song was new to me and I'm guessing it didn't get nominated. Over The Rainbow won and Good Morning was in the running. How'd I do? ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got Rainbow right but Good Morning wasn't even nominated while the other one was

      Delete
  4. You know, I'm probably the only one out there that never liked The Wizard of Oz. I always thought it was creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen several Sonja Henie movies. Yeah, she wasn't much of an actress, and the movies were mostly a vehicle to get her on ice and spin, but they're fun diversions. (Didn't she do one with The Three Stooges?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK, Birgit, at first I thought this was another music quiz I thought I would flunk badly, but I won. I knew the winner and I guessed the last song was nominated because I had never in my life heard it. And I was right! By the way, the author of The Wizard of Oz book series was born about 126 km (78 miles) from where I live, and not in our state of Kansas. Fun fact.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, take out Over The Rainbow? What were they thinking?
    Hope you are feeling well.
    Hugs, Sandra sandracox.blogspot.co

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't care for the Wizard of Oz as a whole, but I love listening to Judy sing. Somewhere Over the Rainbow is a worthy winner.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's the single greatest musical moment in all of film. The only worthy competition is the opening title sequence for Star Wars. Judy Garland lived such a troubled life. But for two minutes when she was 16 years old, she was perfect.

    ReplyDelete