Wednesday, September 6, 2023

September in Song

 


September already...WTF? OK, so I thought pretty flowers would do since it's over 30C today and for most of the week. I am part of the Monday Music Moves Me  ( over at Comedy-Plus)which is to showcase songs with September in the title. By the way, Cathy over at Curious as A Cathy just lost her dad so any well wishing for her and her family would be appreciated.

1. SEPTEMBER IN THE RAIN SUNG BY JULIE LONDON-1956

This is a really nice song that was written by Harry Warren and Al Dubin back in 1937. I really like Julie's singing style.

2. SEPTEMBER SONG SUNG BY WALTER HUSTON-1938

I had no idea Walter Huston was in a musical and specifically asked for a song he could “sing” so he got this ditty written by Kurt Weill(music) and Maxwell Anderson ( lyrics). It's for the musical   "Knickerbocker Holiday" and, I think, he does it well. By the way, he is the grandfather of Angelica Huston and the father of John Huston, a very famous director.

3. TRY TO REMEMBER  SUNG BY ROY ORBISON-1969

I love Roy and this was the first song that popped into my head so when I went in search of singers, other than Jerry Orbach (who is excellent btw), I found this gem, so hope you enjoy.

What September songs can you think of?

6 comments:

  1. I always gotta go with Green Day in September. Wake Me Up When September Ends. Still a great song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't get any (not just yours) embedded videos to show. All I get are black boxes. I have heard that Roy Orbison song, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me, the September song is See You in September (the Happenings). It was nice hearing the original September Song (I had one of the covers in my blog post) and I did hear the original Try to Remember on another blog. Interesting that so many of the September songs date back years, like the Julie London cover.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just did a bunch of songs that have "September" in the title: https://thesoundofonehandtyping.com/2023/09/04/mmmm-september/

    I didn't realize Roy Orbison did "Try To Remember." The definitive version of that is Jerry Orbach's. I had your two others by different people...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Birgit,

    I also like Julie London's voice though I prefer Dinah Washington's version of September in the Rain, which is a breezy, snappy tune.

    September Song is a lovely tune, I think before now I've only heard the instrumental versions. Walter Huston was a multi-talented man with quite a family legacy.

    Try to Remember is so full of a wispy nostalgia and a sense of longing for long ago days. I love the song but never saw the stage version of "The Fantasticks" which it came from. Only the terrible movie version which botched the story.

    The first song I thought of was "See You in September" by The Happenings. Then of course "September" by Earth, Wind and Fire and finally a song I'm not especially fond of by Neil Diamond "September Morn". There's nothing particularly wrong with it, the song just never moved me the way I think it's supposed to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your choices. Well done. I've not heard these in years.

    Have a fabulous day and rest of the week. ♥

    ReplyDelete