Thursday, September 14, 2023

Thursday Movie Picks: Non-English Language Movies

 


Foreign film….I have not seen many to be honest and I know there are some that are great. I might be cheating, but I’m  choosing 3 films that are non-English but might be cheating…I don’t think so. Wandering through the Shelves has chosen a favourite theme. Here are my 3…

1. CABINET OF DR. CALIGARI-1920

I first saw this film when I was a teen and this film was only 59 years old which is how old I am now. Jeez this means films made in 1964 are 59 years old. Now this famous German Expressionist film is 103 years old…F&$#!  Ok…this is such a modern look to a strange film about a young man, in love with a woman, who are at a fair where a strange magician shows a somnambulist, played by Conrad Veidt, whom he controls via the mind. Of course, the old guy is bad who uses the zombie guy to steal but doesn’t count on the zombie falling for the beautiful girl. The sets are justifiably famous for being purposely off kilter and the people are dressed in black and white…even though you know it’s a black and white film. This is quite modern with a “oh snap!” ending. 

2. NIEBELUNGEN PART 1: SIEGFRIED-1924

This film is a 2 parter, directed by the famous, Fritz Lang, based on the epic German medieval saga called Der Niebelungenlied which I did read by the way. It has everything in it and is the granddaddy of soaps with Fantasy, love, drama, action…you name it. The plot is about a young warrior, Siegfried, who kills the famous dragon, Fafner and then bathes in its blood to become immune to spears, guns, bazookas..ok no bazookas or guns but let’s just say, he can’t be killed but he doesn’t realize a leaf has fallen on his back making him all too human in that one area. He fights and overpowers a famous Dwarf and gets the gold. From there, he meets up with the King Gunther who pines for Queen Brunnhild who makes it impossible for any man to win her hand that is until Sieggy. Through some creative trickery, Sieggy wins her hand but for King Gunther and Sig wins the hand of the King’s sister, Krimhold. It goes from there and it is a compelling look at the fantasy of this saga. I bet Peter Jackson watched this as an inspiration for his LOTR saga trilogy.

3. BATTLESHIP POTEMKIN-1925

Nope, not German but a Russian classic film by Sergei Eisenstein based on the true story of a mutiny set in 4 stages. We see the men on the battleship being mistreated by the higher ups which includes the poor men being fed maggot infested food but that’s the breaking point and then men mutiny. We think they are alone but they realize that many on land and sea believe in what they stand for. Oh yeah, it’s all about the evils of the Russian tzars and the Proletariat people who must stand in solidarity. This is in the early times of the Communist regime when it was still thought of as just (I can’t believe I wrote this with a straight face). The most famous, and often imitated scene are the Odessa steps montage sequence. It is very riveting and justifiably famous which was used as an homage in the film, “The Untouchables” which, in turn was parodied in a Naked Gun film starring the wonderful Leslie Nielsen. 

Which foreign films can you think of?




16 comments:

  1. I love foreign films and foreign TV shows and many spring to mind, but I have not seen any of the three you mentioned. I actually googled best foreign films and came up with lists of movies I never heard of. Anyway, in the list was Tell No One, a French film based on Harlan Coben's novel. Movie and novel are both good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually love them too but I don't get to see much in my neck of the woods.id like to see more

      Delete
  2. Cabinet of Dr. Caligari is so innovative for when it was produced. Creepy in the best way and fascinating from beginning to end. Have you seen the 60’s remake with Glynis Johns and Constance Ford? Glynis looks sensational but it’s a pale shadow of this film.

    I can’t say I’ll be running back to rewatch Battleship Potemkin but I’m glad I saw it and it is masterfully done.

    I haven’t seen any of the second film but it being directed by Fritz Lang right on the to see list it goes!

    I don’t watch nearly as many foreign films as I used to now that I don’t have access to TCM, but I did like all three of these.

    Girl with a Pistol (‘La ragazza con la pistola’) (1968)- Saucy comedy with a wonderfully deadpan performance by Monica Vitti as an Italian woman with a mission of honor who doesn't let a little thing like common sense get in the way in pursuit of vengeance.

    Lola Montes (1955)-Once upon a time famous cabaret dancer Lola Montes (Martine Carol) was the lover of many of 19th-century Europe's most prominent men. Now she works in a seedy American circus, where a circus master (Peter Ustinov) tells her life story as the main attraction. And quite a life it was!

    The Golden Coach (1952)-During her troupe’s tour of Peru commedia del arte performer Camilla (Anna Magnani) is courted by diplomat Duncan Lamont and toreador Riccardo Rioli, among others, who are captivated by her beauty. But as the threat of war looms, she soon finds she must make painful decisions about her future. Comedy drama directed by Jean Renoir is awash in color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to see your picks. They sound like fun and Jean Renoir is one of my favourite directors.
      I have not seen the remake of Caligari and wonder why they would ty to remake this classic art piece.
      Yes, Potemkin is not a film I revisit either but am also glad to have seen it.
      OMG, I have seen a film you haven't!? Wow! I still need to see part 2.

      Delete
  3. That was the great thing about silents: just change the title cards and you can show the film anywhere. The only two that came to mind (that I've seen--I don't really do films not in English) are Persepolis (which I actually did watch in French with English subtitles, but is dubbed into English as well as it's animated) and a version of Gigi made in French (no Leslie Caron).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, just change the cards..you're right:). I have not seen the 2 you mentioned but heard of them. I wouldn't mind seeing Gigi.

      Delete
  4. We don't do a lot of foreign films either. And I'm sure we are missing some good movies. Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. You really went back for these ones! I haven't seen any.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah...just over 100 years or so...lol. I hope you watch Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. Put it on your watch list. It really has not aged.

      Delete
  6. I often think of that Odessa steps scene. Potemkin is an excellent film. Have not seen your second pick, but the Caligari film is pretty good creepy stuff.

    My wife doesn't like reading subtitles so we don't watch many foreign films together. It's funny when I find Spanish films that I'd like to see and even though that's her language, she prefers not to watch most of them.
    I watched one just yesterday--a Spanish film from 1967 called Peppermint Frappe. That was a good one that got a lot of inspiration from Alfred Hitchcock films.
    Another Spanish language film that I enjoyed but my wife didn't care much for was La ciénaga from Argentina. I got a real kick out of this one.
    Then there is one of my favorite time travel films Time Crimes from Spain (2007). I'm still waiting on the English language version that had been rumored, but now I don't know if it will happen.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your picks and have not seen any. I have seen a few with Penelope Cruz which were good. Funny that your wife is not into seeing Spanish films even though that's her first language.

      Delete
  7. I don't know any of these foreign films. I would pick Bread and Tulips, and hmmmm. I am so bad at thinking of films. But Leslie Nielsen made some really funny movies, like Naked Gun and Airplane. He's a favorite of mine when I want something light and funny. Have a great weekend Birgit. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Leslie Nielsen who is a Canadian Icon. He was so funny

      Delete
  8. Oh, so many...

    Cinema Paradiso
    Tampopo
    Amelie
    Run, Lola, Run
    Parasite
    Like Water for Chocolate
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
    All of Miyazaki
    All of Kurosawa

    We watch a fair number at our house, especially French and Japanese films. So much wonderful work to explore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have picked some good ones. I don't like Parasite...the ending is what killed it for me. Love Crouching Tiger and I need to see more Kurosawa fil s

      Delete