Wednesday, February 28, 2024

Lemmings...Leap or Jump

 


February has been warmer than ever, not good for the trees and plants and today it is supposed to hit 14C! It will be warm until Friday and plummet 20 degrees in a few hours...so March might be coming in like a lion or lamb. Our Kaspar is a lion who is sleeping like a sweet lamb so I thought this picture works.

Over at Monday Music Moves Me, we are talking about leap and/or jump. Obviously, that song by Van Halen came into my head but it was played to death back in the 80s and I found their video,...gross. I went another way as I like to do. Here are my 3...

1. JUMPIN' JIVE BY CAB CALLOWAY

I thpught of this great song and dance number by the superlative Nicholas Brothers. They should be in the same realm as Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly but, they are Black so...so very sad. This is from the film, "Stormy Weather", that featured an all black cast( Bill "Bojangles" Robinson and Lena Horne heading) with this number a highlight. I just don't know how they did this but they are breathtaking.

2. JUMP FOR JOY SUNG BY IVY ANDERSON-1941

This lady has a beautiful voice and died too young from heart failure. She had diabetes and other ailments  but Bing Crosby helped her out always because she helped him when he was starting out and he never forgot.

3. TAKE A LEAP SUNG BY JULIE ANDREWS AND DAVID HYDE PIERCE-2017



I hope I found the right video for this song. This is quite a sweet song and, to be honest, I'm not sure it is from 2917 because Julie Andrews lost her singing voice a long time ago due to a botched vocal chord surgery to remove polyps but she is here singing with David who played Frazier's brother Niles. 

What songs can you think of? 

11 comments:

  1. These aren't familiar, but definitely suit the theme. Your third video appears to be an instrumental, but I found a clip for you:
    LINK
    First songs that came to mind are Van Halen's "JUMP" and The Rolling Stones, as Anabel said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for finding this! It’s Birgit

      Delete
  2. The Nicholas Brothers were amazing! That scene... I show it to students all the time. Just dynamite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is and I'm happy that you show it to your students

      Delete
  3. The other day, my song of the day was by Mildred Bailey, who was a big help to Bing and who he likewise helped. I'm impressed...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems Bing helped I more ways than we knew

      Delete
  4. I had the same experience as Debbie with the Andrews/Hyde duet and I thank Debbie for finding the link because I wasn't able to. So hard to believe Julie Andrews is 88 now. The Nicolas Brothers were absolutely fantastic in their video. I didn't know about Ivy Anderson-I enjoyed the song very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm So glad Debbie found the link as well. I couldn't find d it through my blog. I. Glad you loved the first clip. Ivy had a great voice.

      Delete
  5. I'm sorry for the late visit this week. I don't know what's wrong with me sometimes. Cab Calloway's Jumpin Jive is an energetic tune. I remember reading that Julia Andrews lost her singing voice but I didn't know why. That's too bad. Thanks for joining the 4M party, Birgit. Now, having jumpin' good weekend! ;)

    ReplyDelete