Thursday, April 7, 2016

Letter F


The A To Z Challenge

Fred Astaire to Gene Kelly (Ziegfeld Follies) to Judy Garland in...

1. FOR ME AND MY GAL-1942-MUSICAL


DIRECTOR: Busby Berkley
STARS: Judy Garland, Gene Kelly,  George Murphy
PLOT: A nice girl falls for a cad who takes the "coward's way out"  to make sure he can't fight in WW1. She is disgusted by his actions, he becomes repentant.
QUOTE: I'm sorry you loved him so much.....he isn't worth it.
OSCAR NOMS: Best Score
OSCAR WINS: Nil
LOVE: Singing and dancing of course
FAVOURITE SCENE: When the 2 greats sing and dance to the title song in a nearby cafe.
FAVOURITE CHARACTER: Jo Hayden (Judy Garland)
TIDBITS: This was Gene Kelly's first movie and he was scared. Judy helped show him the ways of the film world. he was always grateful to her.
SIX DEGREES (MORE OR LESS) OF SEPARATION: Gene Kelly to Frank Sinatra (Anchor's Aweigh) to Earnest Borgnine (From Here to Eternity) to Charles Bronson (Dirty Dozen) to Steve McQueen (The Great Escape) to Dustin Hoffman (Papillon) to Meryl Streep (Kramer vs. Kramer) to Kevin Kline (Sophie's Choice ) to Meg Ryan in...


2. FRENCH KISS-1995-COMEDY


DIRECTOR: Lawrence Kasdan
STARS: Kevin Kline, Meg Ryan, Timothy Hutton, Jean Reno
PLOT: An Uptight, fear of flying woman gets on a plane to win back her idiot fiancee from a beautiful French gal. On the plane she meets a repulsive thief on a plane who is smuggling a grapevine..and a diamond necklace. They keep meeting up and travel through France.
QUOTE: Happy - smile. Sad - frown. Use the corresponding face for the corresponding emotion.
OSCAR NOMS: Nil
OSCAR WINS: Nil
LOVE: The scenery! It's France!!
FAVOURITE SCENE: When they get off the train and come to a small village
FAVOURITE CHARACTER: Luc Teyssier (Kevin Kline-hubba-hubba)
TIDBITS: Meg Ryan was pregnant during the making of this film hence why she is seen wearing a baggie shirt on and off throughout the film
SIX DEGREES (MORE OR LESS) OF SEPARATION: Timothy Hutton to Jim Hutton (His father) to John Wayne (Green Berets) to .....nyuck, nyuck.....

43 comments:

  1. Haven't seen French Kiss but will put it on my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this film and can watch it over and over

      Delete
  2. Hi Birgit....please...what are those fabulous alphabet stamps...have you the whole set?...they are stunning!
    Loved for me and my gal xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought almost all of them as they were on sale for $2 but I couldn't get all of them

      Delete
  3. Hi, dear Birgit!

    As I have stated before, movie musicals with their singing and dancing are not my strong suit and I have not watched For Me and My Gal in its entirety. I have watched French Kiss and appreciate the comedic talents of Kevin Kline and Meg Ryan, whom I loved in the role of Betsy on As The World Turns.

    Thank you, dear friend BB!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you don't care for musicals which is your loss:) I actually thought, when I wrote about these that you would not care for this genre but I love it:) French Kiss is a great movie

      Delete
  4. Hi Birgit, I've seen both these films. I remember watching For Me and My Gal with my parents - and loving it. As for French Kiss - I remember wanting Meg Ryan's lipstick... found a close version too! :)

    Susan A Eames from
    Travel, Fiction and Photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's kind of cool that you took to her lipstick :)

      Delete
  5. Haven't seen either today. Kevin Kline is always hit or miss with me. Some of his movies have been meh. Dave and Silverado were two of my favorite of his though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Kevin Kline in most anything. You might like this film, should give it a try

      Delete
  6. French Kiss sounds cute :) Might have to see if I can find it somewhere to rent or watch.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One can still rent the movie and I have the did (of course)

      Delete
  7. I've seen For Me and My Gal but I haven't seen French Kiss - it sounds great. That's Purrfect

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've seen For Me and My Gal but I haven't seen French Kiss - it sounds great. That's Purrfect

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to see French Kiss. It has two of my favorite actors.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The prettiest "F" I've ever seen. I haven't seen either of these movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and maybe you will see these one day

      Delete
  11. Another classic B/W film I've never seen. But there are a lot of other great films I've never seen. I should work on that when I have the time. For whatever reason, I think I have seen French Kiss, it seems vaguely familiar. If I recall right, I liked it. Plus I was into Meg Ryan for a short while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many classics I have to see still

      Delete
  12. I have not seen For Me and My Gal but I love Judy Garland and Gene Kelly. Going to have to look that one up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Birgit, the 1942 musical sounds like lots of fun! I'm going to look for that one. Now, believe it or not, I have not seen French Kiss. I love Meg Ryan! Kevin Kline is a lot of fun on the screen, too. Both doing comedy well. I'm going to put this one on my watch list as soon as I can locate it. Thanks for the heads up on two great movies!
    ~Curious as a Cathy
    All Things Vintage: Flapper era #AprilA2z

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like dance movies so I'm curious to see For Me and My Gal someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a film to see with lots of dancing

      Delete
  15. I forgot about that movie French Kiss. I wanted to see that one. I will have to try and find it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you find it and can see it because it is so good.

      Delete
  16. That was sweet about Judy Garland helping Gene Kelley.

    I really liked French Kiss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was always grateful and when they made the film The Pirate and she was in a bad way, Kelly was unusually patient and forgiving

      Delete
  17. I LOVED French Kiss. One of my all time favorites. Never seen For Me and My Gal, which is funny as I love Gene Kelly and am fond of Judy Garland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like both of the, then you will love this movie

      Delete
  18. You're making me realize that I have not seen enough movies. :)

    I'd thought I'd seen French Kiss, but now I'm not sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love French Kiss and I hope you get a chance to se it

      Delete
  19. I like that quote from French Kiss :) And that's interesting tidbit about Judy Garland helping Gene Kelly in his first film. Both of these sound fun to watch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are both great films to see and hope you get a chance

      Delete
  20. LOVE Me and my Gal. It has been many many years. Ryan and Kline were great together. And yes the scenery is lovely.
    x Asha

    ReplyDelete