Monday, April 11, 2016

Letter I



The A to Z Challenge

...Katherine Hepburn to Spencer Tracy (Adam's Rib)  who starred in

1. IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD- 1963-COMEDY



DIRECTOR: Stanley Kramer
STARS:Spencer Tracy, Sid Caesar, Milton Berle, Phil Silvers, Ethel Merman, Johnathan Winters, Terry-Thomas, Mickey Rooney, Buddy Hackett, Dick Shawn plus many cameos
PLOT: A bunch of people witness a car careening off a cliff. They all stop to help only for the man to tell them that he hid a ton of money in a park under the Big W. he then literally kicks the bucket. These sane, average folk can't figure out how to spread the wealth so they end up in a chase to see who gets to the park first. Of course, the cops are following their every move.
QUOTE: SYLVESTER!!!???
OSCAR NOMS: Film Editing, Original Song(the title of the song), Best Score
OSCAR WINS: Sound Effects, Cinematography, Best Sound
LOVE: the comedy antics of these great comedy stars
FAVOURITE SCENE: so many..Phil Silvers bringing a boy back to his home. The men on the fire truck ladder
FAVOURITE CHARACTER: I have 3.Lt. Col. J. Algernon Hawthorne (Terry-Thomas), Mrs. Marcus (Ethel Merman), Sylvester Marcus (Dick Shawn)
TIDBITS: There were many card games going on and Phil Silvers lost the most. Spencer Tracy was very ill (probably due to major alcohol abuse) during the shoot, the comedians were in awe of him so they loved to make him laugh which helped him a great deal.
SIX DEGREES (MORE OR LESS) OF SEPARATION: Spencer Tracy to Marlene Dietrich (Judgement at Nuremberg) to John Wayne (The Spoilers)  to Robert Duvall (True Grit) to Robert Downey Jnr (Judge) who starred in....


2. IRON MAN-2005-SCIENCE FICTION ACTION


DIRECTOR: Jon Favreau
STARS: Robert Downey Jnr., Gwyneth Paltrow, Jeff Bridges, Terrence Howard
PLOT: Extremely Rich, Playboy, Uber smart, Smart ass creates a suit that makes him (almost) invincible. He ends up having to save the world. The start of more than one sequel.
QUOTE: Give me a scotch. I'm Starving.
OSCAR NOMS: Sound Editing, Visual Effects
OSCAR WINS: Nil
LOVE: The special effects and the witty dialogue
FAVOURITE SCENE: When he takes the suit out for a spin and helps save a small village
FAVOURITE CHARACTER:  Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jnr)
TIDBITS: The head people focused so much on the plot and the action that they faltered on the dialogue so most of the dialogue was add-libbed! Robert Downey Jnr had a blast but poor Gwyneth  had a difficult time to keep up with Downey. Tony Stark was  actually based on Howard Hughes.
SIX DEGREES (MORE OR LESS) OF SEPARATION: Jeff Bridges starred with Ben Johnson (in Last Picture Show) and he starred with James Stewart (The Rare Breed) who was directed by Alfred Hitchcock (Rear Window) who.....

A little extra....

I made a card! Inspired by the Song Cheek to Cheek which Curious as a Cathy chose as her Battle of the Bands post!


Addicted to Stamps: Make your Mark
Craft Your Passion: Always Anything Goes
Fairytale Stampers-Anything Goes
Happy Little Stampers-CASE the designer-I chose the colour pink the designer had
Dream Valley-Anything Goes

This was inspired by the movies and especially the Cheek to cheek number danced by Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. I went pink! I don't do that often but i paired it with black since a great tux is always black. I coloured the pigs in prisma pencils and fussy cut them out. I used the cuddlebug on the pink paper for the design and layered all the papers. I added the border, cut out a top hat and added some feathers and the pink flower. Fred Astaire hated that feather dress Ginger wore since the feathers went all over his tux. Ginger designed the dress and  she wasn't going to let Fred win this round...he didn't and that is one of the most beautiful dresses she ever danced in.

54 comments:

  1. Wow! I've seen both of these films. I love It's a mad mad mad mad mad mad world. I think it's what films like Scavenger Hunt and Rat Race are patterned after. I love almost any film that's hilarious with an all star cast.
    Iron Man was a great film too, but I watch a lot of Super Hero ones, even if there are a few I miss from time to time, I find them highly enjoyable.
    Great job on the card! Looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you saw both of them and most superhero films are fun

      Delete
  2. Mad World is one of my favorite films. I just love it when Ethel Merman ends up in the trash can. And then what is not to like about Marvel movies?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Merman character is great. I love when they put her upside down and shake her toget the keys:)

      Delete
  3. Cute card.
    That's amazing those two movies can be connected like that. And Iron Man spawned all the great Marvel superhero films we have today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like my card:) I try to connect as best as I can. I enjoy just about every superhero film.

      Delete
  4. Hi, dear Birgit!

    I love the card inspired by Cathy Kennedy's BOTB post. Very clever! It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World is the greatest movie comedy ever, in my opinion. I saw it in the theater upon its release in 1963. Never before or since have I laughed so hard, so often or so long. Movies that boast star studded casts sometimes fall flat, but this one fires on all cylinders from start to finish. Every member of the huge cast turns in a strong performance including Terry-Thomas, Dorothy Provine, Dick Shawn, Peter Falk - everybody - right down to the nagging, whining voice of Selma Diamond (Ginger Culpepper) in her telephone conversations with Spencer Tracy.

    Thanks for the memories, dear friend BB!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Dear Shady....it is such a great movie and I loved watching it with my dad who would have tears in his eyes from laughing especially at the climax of the film.

      Delete
  5. How cute with the card! And even having time to make one during the challenge!

    I did see Iron Man (all of them) and liked them all. Robert Downey, Jr was made for that role I do believe.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like my card and RDJ is perfect in this role and as Sherlock Holmes

      Delete
  6. Both were great movies indeed. Iron Man sure set the standard for Marvel movies. Iron Man 2 was meh though. Only marvel movie I didn't like much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I liked both actually...thought both were fun.

      Delete
  7. I love the Iron Man movies. Do you read Cherdo's blog. She posted on him today, too. I had no idea that most of the film was ad libbed. RDJ is a super talented man. I'm so glad he got himself together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am playing catch up and need to catch up with Cherdo's blog. We were on the same wavelength

      Delete
  8. I loved It's a Mad, Mad, Mad World. And, of course, I love your cards. Each one is so distinct and beautifully crafted.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Iron Man. Have all the movie's and watch them back to back when I'm ironing (I get the ironing done during the first one and pretend to be doing something for the other 2:)) Love your creations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are fun and RDJ is so great in the role. Thanks about my card

      Delete
  10. My parents went to see "It's a Mad Mad... and laughed for days. I've tried to watch and just don't find it funny. Iron Man was a pretty good action film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh.....my....someone needs to activate your funny bone:) Comedy is actually very personal I think.

      Delete
  11. Hmm, haven't seen either of these. Iron Man et al doesn't do it for me! :)

    Susan A Eames from
    Travel, Fiction and Photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh bummer ....maybe I will have one I the future that will make up for today's disappointment.

      Delete
  12. Worth recommending Rat Race to fans of Mad, Mad, Mad World.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's another funny movie and love Cuba Gooding with all the crazy ass Lucy Bitches:)

      Delete
  13. Two radically different films, both of which I've seen and enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are different but both I love and I was able to connect the dots

      Delete
  14. Love the cards, especially the Iris card. Beautiful.
    I'm an Iron Man fan:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to make the I card with Ironman in mind.

      Delete
  15. I remember It's a Mad etc. World. A long time ago though. Didn't remember all the big names in it. Never saw Iron Man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were big names in Mad World. iron Man is fun

      Delete
  16. Fun movie as was Rat Race. Crazy zany movies are great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ah yes, I did hear the feather dress story.

    I've seen Iron Man, but not the other. Heard of it though. Of course. (Spencer Tracy to Katherine Hepburn! That wasn't a hard connection to make.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the feather dress....and since Tracy and Hepburn made something like 10 movies together, it didn't take much:)

      Delete
  18. Can't believe the first Ironman movie was released years ago! Wow, I'm getting old.

    This is a fun read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you are enjoying it. ...now I feel ancient:)

      Delete
  19. J here, of the #atozchallenge Arlee Bird's A to Z Ambassador Team. Thanks for stopping by Arlee's blog to comment on my Manhattan story.
    How has the first week of the challenge been for you so far? Are you meeting your goals of posting and hopping to other blogs? Looking forward to Sunday off?
    My blog's giveaways are still going!
    http://jlennidornerblog.what-are-they.com
    Great post. Iron Man was a very enjoyable film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am doing my best but have fallen behind. Yes, I am looking forward to Sundays

      Delete
  20. Both great choices! I'm a huge Iron Man fan, right down to the soundtrack. ☺
    P.S. I love the cards you use to introduce the posts! You made those, yes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I did make those and glad you like them. I still have to make a few more and hope to get them done.

      Delete
  21. I liked Iron Man - and I did not know about the ad libbing. I could totally see poor Gwyneth going crazy with RD JR. He would be a hoot to work with.

    I find your post interesting - lots of work goes into them I imagine. Thanks!

    Cheers, Jenny
    Pearson Report
    On Twitter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's neat that he did so much ad libbing and Jeff Bridges also had difficulties but he found it invigorating.

      Delete
  22. Birgit, I've seen both of these movies. It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World is a goofy, funny flick and Iron Man is a great action movie with some great humor. I was really surprised how much I liked Iron Man. I thought I wouldn't like it. I'm glad I was proved wrong. Oh, your Cheek to Cheek card is adorable! The quote stamp you used is great and the pair of dancing pigs is just too cute. :D Thanks for sharing this with me.

    ~Curious as a Cathy
    All Things Vintage: Ivory Soap #AprilA2Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like my card even though it is pink and girlie...with piggies. Ironman is fun and Mad World is priceless

      Delete
  23. I haven't seen Mad...World, but I had a lot of laughs from Rat Race, which I heard was based on that. I'm a big fan of Marvel, so I loved Ironman and all his Avenger friends :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you love Rat Race you'll like Mad World.

      Delete
  24. I don't recall the first one but with a cast like that it had to be funny I mean... Jonathan Winters and Phil Silvers and rest of the bunch? Too funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh...they are great and so much fun to watch especially when you feel down.

      Delete
  25. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Brilliant card....great image and sentiment....Thank you for joining us at CYP this week....Joolsx

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a cute card you made. Adorable dancing pigs. Thanks so much for playing along at HLS Case the Designer.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Very cute couple. Lovely card.


    Thanks for joining us at dream valley

    Tracey dt

    ReplyDelete