Thursday, April 28, 2016

Thursday Movie Picks-Affairs


I am so glad to have still continued this while doing the A to Z Challenge, which is almost done. If you wish to check out my X post just go to the next page:) This week it is all about affairs. I think so many films are about this topic because it can be so lusty. Of course I went old films with my bonus being much newer so, yes, I have 4 films to showcase this week. If you wish to see what everyone else chose, head on over to Wandering Through The Shelves. Here are my picks...

1. SUNRISE-1927


This is a late, great silent film that I consider one of the best films I have ever seen especially dealing with marriage. It is all about a young married couple who live in the country...the main a hole, sorry, man, is married to a virtuous sweet wife. He meets a dark-haired and very desirable woman from the city and starts a torrid affair with her. She must be good you know where because he agrees to off his sweet wife. I won't say much more but I can say the cinematography is brilliant! When the man is walking from the slut to his wife ready to commit murder surrounded by mist and marsh, it feels almost like a horror film. The great F.W. Murnau knew how to direct and create a true gothic feel even in modern times (He direct the equally brilliant Nosferatu). I also loved that Murnau used children in the city scenes for the distant shots (You have to see the film). Aside from blah blah bad blonde wig and the hoochy dance jiggle that blah does to entice George O'Brien, this is a must see in my eyes.

2. DODSWORTH-1936


Another great film and not as well known but so well acted and constructed that one should see this film when you get the chance. Walter Huston plays a very rich man who takes his shrewish bitch wife to Europe. He meets the demure Mary Astor(hahahaa-in real life her diary was torrid and being read through the courts for child custody which she lost-poor thing and I do mean that-who wants their dirty laundry aired) on the ship and they hit it off but nothing more happens. Once in Europe, his shrewish wife begins having affairs and doesn't want to leave. He does but somehow manages to meet up with the lovely Mary Astor again. This is not only about affairs but a state on marriage and how people can outgrow their relationship. It is intelligently written, modern in feel and very well acted.

3. BRIEF ENCOUNTER-1945


I actually hope I see this film more than once today because it is superb! Set during war time, a woman takes the train on a regular basis and feels a little lost in her life. She happens to get a speck of dirt in her eye and a man helps her get rid of that speck. They, of course, create a spark, and soon she is hopeful in seeing this man again and again on the train but her guilt is becoming worse and worse. Her husband is not evil but genuinely sweet so she feels even worse. This is a quiet reflection on how affairs can start even when one is not looking for it and when that person is not a bad person but just lost. This was Gene Kelly's favourite film and it's one of mine.

Bonus...

4. UNFAITHFUL-2002


Talk about lust...you can see from this poster! She is happily married, everything seems aok but, when in town, a horrible wind storm blows her stuff out of her hands and a young man helps her out...in more ways than one. I am getting hot and bothered right now! Oh wait...that's menopause..ok back to the film. She knows it is wrong but her desire to be with this man is all encompassing and the weight of this deception does not go unnoticed by her husband. It is brilliantly acted and the ending makes you think.

What films dealing with affairs can you think of??

29 comments:

  1. I actually have a hard time watching films like this. Coming from a split family and enduring one myself, means this hits close to home. I'm surprised the first one is a silent film. I had no idea they made films like that back then. I always thought it was crazy cops and such.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear about this heartache in your life. When things hit close, it makes it difficult to think of this as entertainment. Silent films are not all you are thinking...many are just brilliant pieces ...a another is The Crowd about an ordinary guy who meets and marries and has a kid but loses his job and the family struggles. It resonates even today.

      Delete
  2. Uh-oh! Not only have I not seen today's selection but I've not even heard of them. I bow my head in shame :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did. It pick huge blockbusters but the 3 are considered critical gems and for good reason

      Delete
  3. Unfaithful was the first that popped in for me. Only one I've seen too. A slippery slope affairs are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That film was quite heady for me...quite lustful but there is a reason for this

      Delete
  4. 3 new films for me to find Birgit......my fav at the moment is love actually.....travelling a lot at the moment looking after my aunt and uncle...I need films for the hotels!...xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear if you ain't and uncle are not well but what a wonderful niece you are. Love Actually would fit because of the Alan Rickman character. Hope you get to see one of these one day

      Delete
  5. LOL lust is right on that final poster. I haven't seen any of your picks this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there is a lot of lust in that last film but it is done well....watch you pick films I have not seen:)

      Delete
  6. Once again I haven't seen any of your picks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One day...I hope you see them and love to read your critique then

      Delete
  7. You got me on these. Haven't seen any of them. Unfaithful had been on my radar for quite some time, just never got around to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you see it. I saw it in the theatre and was quite impressed and needed a cold shower after

      Delete
  8. Tremendous choices! Sunrise is so dreamy and beautiful considering its dark content. Janet Gaynor gets the lion's share of attention among the actors and she is wonderful but Murnau uses the openness of George O'Brien's face to great effect. He was a much more effective performer in silents than sound though he had a long career in Westerns once talkies came in.

    Dodsworth is an underknown gem. Astor and Chatterton are wonderful but the film belongs to Walter Huston. I'm sure you've probably read Mary Astor's book "A Life on Film" but if you haven't I'd recommend it highly.

    I love that you chose Brief Encounter since it's about spiritual infidelity rather than actual physical betrayal. It's so beautifully realized by David Lean and Trevor Howard and especially Celia Johnson couldn't be better.

    Diane Lane is so amazing in Unfaithful I can't believe she didn't win the Oscar. That train ride home is so intense. The film overall is good but she takes it to another level.

    There's an almost limitless well to choose from this week it was a cinch to come up with three, my second choice is a particular favorite of mine.

    Second Skin (2000)-Madrid housewife Elena (Ariadna Gil) suspects her husband Alberto (Jordi Molla) of having an affair, threatening their seemingly happy life with their son. Devastated when she discovers not only that her suspicions were correct but that the person he is involved with is a man, surgeon Diego (Javier Bardem) she confronts Alberto. At first he insists that it was a momentary lapse but eventually confesses that he is genuinely in love with Diego and torn between his two lives.

    They Won’t Believe Me (1947)-Larry Ballentine (Robert Young) is on trial for murder and as he takes the stand in his defense the film explores the story of how he’s found himself there. Indifferent to his wealthy wife Gretta (Rita Johnson) who loves him deeply Larry is a cad involved in a quadrangle with her, his mistress Janice (Jane Greer) and a secretary at his insurance office, Verna (Susan Hayward). A reprobate who is never satisfied with what he has he makes a series of selfish decisions that lead to tragedy. Even if he’s innocent of the crime accused is he indeed blameless. Nifty noir with a super, out of character performance from the usually good guy Young and a great ending.

    The Macomber Affair (1947)-Francis Macomber (Robert Preston) and his wife Margaret (Joan Bennett) arrive in Kenya for a safari and hire experienced hunter Robert Wilson (Gregory Peck) as their guide. Their marriage is a troubled one and Margaret becomes openly interested in Wilson with disastrous consequences. A three person chamber piece with both Peck and Preston doing good work but the standout is the under-appreciated Joan Bennett as a woman turned into a hard article by a bad marriage. Though subtle gestures and sly looks she gives the film a tough grounded center and has rarely looked so beautiful. A solid adventure film with noir elements and a Hemingway feel. The film is an adaptation of one of his short stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you would know my picks and glad you like them. Murnau seems to have liked Gaynor from what she stated. Does worth is so under-rated and a brilliant piece on marriage. I loved what you said about Brief Encounter because it deals with infidelity without the 2 ever consummating their relationship in the biblical sense but it still shows all the signs of being unfaithful. I have not read her book but have been on the look out for years for it. I have not seen the films you mentioned and have now added them to my list and truly want to see them.

      Delete
  9. I had not heard of the first three. Great picks. I'll have to check those out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wasn't familiar with Sunrise but it sounds interesting. The other two classics I saw long ago and don't remember much. Time to see them again! ☺ Unfaithful was incredibly intense! Why would anyone cheat on Richard Gere, I wonder. Mind you, the other guy was HOT! ;) Films that depict affairs, off the top of my head: American Beauty, Fatal Attraction, The Graduate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That guy is hot and have no idea what happened to him:) All 3 work and Fatal Attraction is definitely dark

      Delete
  11. I've seen Unfaithful. Not the other ones though.

    Did nobody mention The End of the Affair, with Julianne Moore? Also, I haven't seen it, but I think The Seven year Itch (Marilyn Monroe) is about an affair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone did mention the End of the Affair which is excellent and has such depth. The Seven Year Itch is a great choice since he would love to be with Monroe and she is blissfully unaware.

      Delete
  12. Hi, Birgit!

    I don't know how I missed this post. Thanks for telling me about it. The only one of these movies I have watched is Unfaithful. My favorite scene of the movie takes place as Diane Lane's character rides home on the train after experiencing afternoon delight with that handsome young foreigner. Her body language and the expressions on her face are priceless and perfectly executed as she flashes back to their steamy interlude.

    Thanks, BB!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny that we were on the same wavelength(just a different day) for this film. That scene is excellent and she should have won for this role.

      Delete
  13. Interesting picks - haven't heard of the first two but I adore Brief Encounter - such a brilliant subtle film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a brilliant film and shows how one can feel guilty and still call it an affair even though they didn't go through with it.

      Delete
  14. Unfaithful - yeah you'll know exactly what you'll get with that poster.

    ReplyDelete