Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Letter V


A to Z Challenge

...Alfred Hitchcock directed James Stewart in..

1. VERTIGO-1958-SUSPENSE THRILLER


DIRECTOR: Alfred Hitchcock
STARS: James Stewart, Kim Novak, Barbara Bel Geddes, Tom Helmore
PLOT: An acrophobic detective is hired to watch his friend's wife. He slowly falls in love with her and becomes obsessed to have her just as she is obsessed with the notion that she is the reincarnation of a long dead woman.
QUOTE: One final thing I have to do.....and then I'll be free of the past.
OSCAR NOMS: Best Art Direction (B & W), Best Sound
OSCAR WINS: Nil
LOVE: The directing-it is Hitch after all and the use of colour to enhance a scene
FAVOURITE SCENE: When Scottie sees the transformation of Judy into Madeleine
FAVOURITE CHARACTER: Scottie Ferguson (James Stewart)
TIDBITS: The film did poorly when it came out and Hitchcock blamed Stewart because he was too old. This film is now considered one of the best films ever made and is usually in the top 5. Hitchcock removed this film from circulation for 30 years along with 4 others (Rope, Rear Window, The Trouble With Harry, The Man Who Knew Too Much-56 version) as a legacy for his daughter. All of these films except the Trouble With Harry starred James Stewart.
SIX DEGREES (MORE OR LESS) OF SEPARATION: Alfred Hitchcock directed Paul Newman (Torn Curtain). Paul Newman starred with Tom Cruise(The Color of Money) and Tom Cruise starred in....

2. VALKYRIE-2008-WAR SUSPENSE


DIRECTOR: Bryan Singer
STARS: Tom Cruise, Bill Nighy, Tom Wilkinson, Kenneth Branagh, Terrence Stamp, Thomas Kretschmann
PLOT: The true story of Col. Claus Von Steuffenberg's attempt, with many others, to assassinate Hitler and overthrow the government to take control of the country.
QUOTE: we have to show the world that not all of us are like him. Otherwise, this will always be Hitler's Germany.
OSCAR NOMS: Nil
OSCAR WINS: Nil
LOVE: the acting-intense. The truth that this really did happen.
FAVOURITE SCENE: When Von Steuffenberg and his aide are setting up the bomb.
FAVOURITE CHARACTER: Von Steuffenberg(Tom Cruise)
TIDBITS: Germany, very fearful of cult religions (understandably) were hesitant in letting Tom Cruise stay and work in Germany since he is an avid nut for the freakish "religion" called Scientology. Due to the wrong treatment during the film development, some scenes were ruined so they had to be reshot after the film was technically done.
SIX DEGREES (MORE OR LESS) OF SEPARATION: Tom Cruise starred with Paul Newman (The Color of Money) who starred with Steve McQueen (Towering Inferno). McQueen starred with Horst Bucholtz (Magnificent 7) and Horst starred with.... who could that be??

56 comments:

  1. Hitchcock and history - good choices. Another two I have seen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's probably a long time since I've seen that Hitchcock film. I really don't remember much about it. The second film actually looks kind of interesting. And yes, true life stories are interesting, even if most films take creative control and alter things slightly to make it more entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 2nd film is pretty accurate and a great retelling of this major event in history...too bad it didn't work.

      Delete
  3. Hitchcock was a master at suspense.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, dear Birgit!

    I saw the first movie, Vertigo, several times. Hitchcock is one of my favorite directors, but Vertigo is not one of my favorite Hitchcock films. Even so, I am surprised to learn that it performed poorly at the box office at the time of its release. Jimmy Stewart is one of my favorite actors, but I never got very excited about 50s "it girl" Kim Novak. I thought her acting was wooden and I didn't find her as sexy as millions of other people did.

    Thank you, dear friend BB!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vertigo is not one of my favourite of Hitchcock films either but I still see it for being a masterwork. Jimmy Stewart is my favourite actor but not Kim Novak. I always thought she was a bit wooden which works well here. Now she looks like a train wreck with what she did to her face.

      Delete
  5. I did see Valkyrie; I agree, very suspenseful!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  6. 2 for 2 today. Hitchcock sure could spin a tale indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those were both great movies! Jimmy Stewart and Hitchcock were so good together; Rear Window comes to mind. Speaking as a person of German heritage, that quote from Valkyrie is spot on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I chose that quote because it resonated with me so much. I am of German heritage as well and hate it that people think all Germans were Nazis

      Delete
  8. I haven't seen Valkyrie, but Vertigo is one of my favorite Hitchcock movies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would like Valkyrie. Vertigo is not one of my favourite Hitchcock films but it is a stellar piece of filming

      Delete
  9. Good stuff, and a nice thriller.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love Vertigo. It grabs you and won't let go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vertigo is one of obsession and whole books have been written about this film.

      Delete
  11. Seen Valyrie. Good film. Not seen the other one. Lovely your artwork Birgit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Valkyrie is excellent and Vertigo is a masterwork. Thank you about my cards of the alphabet.

      Delete
  12. I do enjoy a Hitchcock flick

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't know if I saw the Hitchcock one or not - it rings a bell. I saw another version of the Hitler assassination attempt. Not sure who when or where.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The other one I saw was made in 1990, I think, and it starred Brad Davis who was excellent in the role.

      Delete
  14. You mentioned the Magnificent Seven. They did a remake and its coming out soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really?? I hope they don't modernize it...love the original. I have to check this out.

      Delete
  15. I saw Vertigo when I was too young to appreciate it. But it did help me appreciate Jimmy Stewart (I guess, ironically.) Valkyrie, for me, was made irrelevant by Tarantino's fictional Inglourious Basterds. I don't understand where the Singer of Usual Suspects went. He hasn't really shown up in any other Singer movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Inglorious Basterds is a great movie but it is fictional even wish fulfillment whereas Valkyrie actually happened

      Delete
    2. Well, it's the skill of film-making involved that sways me. Valkyrie feels perfunctory where Inglourious is incredibly vivid. The similar subject matter is what links them for me.

      Delete
  16. Yes. Vertigo. One of the all-timers and perhaps Hitch's best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is excellent even if it is not my personal favourite of Hitch's

      Delete
  17. Hitchcock took The Trouble with Harry out of circulation? Wow. Not something that could be done today. (I think that's probably my favorite Hitchcock film.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's cool since most people don't even know about that Hitchcock film

      Delete
  18. Vertigo is one of the few Hitchcock movies I don't like. No particular reason. I wasn't impressed by Valkyrie. I'm Debbie Downer today.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Vertigo was a classic. I'm stunned Hitchcock blamed Jimmy Stewart. I wonder if he had a mad on at him about something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered that myself but i haven't found anything out. I know Hitchcock had his issues

      Delete
  20. I haven't seen either of these- but I have heard of Vertigo and seen other movies by Hitchcock.Thanks for sharing!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vertigo is a great film and maybe, one day, you'll see it

      Delete
  21. BIRGIT, I'm one for two, and I know you know which one of the two I've seen.

    ~ D-FensDogG
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, of course, I know and Vertigo is excellent

      Delete
  22. Vertigo- at least once a year!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I never saw either of these. I have heard of them. I was always unsure about Valkyrie. I don't care for much of Tom Cruise's acting.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love love love Alfred Hitchcock. I don't think there's a Hitchcock film that I don't like. Love Jimmy Stewart. Funny how Hitch blamed Stewart for a poor showing. Doesn't surprise me though. Hitch was hard to get along with. Did you see the movie "Hitchcock" which is the story of his making of Psycho?

    Valkyrie I didn't see, but aim to change that in the near future...

    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
  25. Both are so good! And Alfred Hitchcock is at his best. Your letters at top sure are beautiful in this series.

    ReplyDelete