Saturday, April 23, 2016

Letter T



A to Z Challenge

....Rita Hayworth starred and married Orson Welles (Lady From Shangai) and he starred in...

1. THE THIRD MAN-1949-SUSPENSE


DIRECTOR: Carol Reed
STARS: Joseph Cotton, Orson Welles, Alida Valli, Trevor Howard, Bernard Lee
PLOT: A down on his luck author comes to Vienna at the invite of his friend only to learn that his friend had died. He meets his friend's girlfriend and finds himself knee deep in intrique and the black market.
QUOTE: In Italy, for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed but they produced Michaelangelo, Leonardo Da Vinci and the Rennaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love-they had 500 years of democracy  and peace and what did that produce? The Cuckoo Clock (actually it was invented in the Black Forest but who cares..great quote!)
OSCAR NOMS: Best Director, Best Film Editing.
OSCAR WINS: Cinematography (B & W)
LOVE: The Cinematography, The location shooting and the music! (The music became a hit)
FAVOURITE SCENE: The sewer scene-all the camera angles throughout the film-brilliant!
FAVOURITE CHARACTER: Harry Lime (Orson Welles)
TIDBITS: Orson was a bad boy and instead of  coming to the set to shoot the scenes in the sewers, he took off for 2 weeks in Europe. They shot around him by having a stand in for some long shots. The  fingers coming from the sewer grate is actually the director's. When Orson appeared he didn't want to go into the sewer at all so they built a set in England to film his scenes.
SIX DEGREES (MORE OR LESS) OF SEPARATION: Joseph Cotton starred with Jack Lemmon (Airport '75) who starred with Walter Matthau (Grumpier Old Men). Walter Matthau starred with Goldie Hawn (Cactus Flower) and she starred with Kurt Russell (Swing Shift). Kurt Russell starred in....

2. TOMBSTONE-1993-WESTERN


DIRECTOR: George P Cosmatos (actually Kurt Russell). Kevin Jarre (Fired)
STARS: Kurt Russell, Val Kilmar, Sam Elliott, Bill Paxton, Harey Carey Jnr, Dana Delaney
PLOT: The Earps come to town, meet up with Doc Holiday, clean up the town of Tombstone and have that gunfight at the OK Corral. You see Wyatt Earp continue to find the men who killed his brother.
QUOTE: Oh, Johnny, I apologize; I forgot you were there. You may go now.
OSCAR NOMS: Nil
OSCAR WINS: Nil
LOVE: The actual correctness of some key events (others may not be as much but..it's a film) and the dialogue of Doc Holiday
FAVOURITE SCENE: When Doc Holiday meets Johnny Ringo
FAVOURITE CHARACTER: Doc Holiday (Val Kilmar)
TIDBITS: Doc Holiday really was that cultured, acerbic and bad ass. The scene when Wyatt Earp just walks right into the blazing bullets and never gets hit..is true.
SIX DEGREES (MORE OR LESS) OF SEPARATION: Harry Carey Jnr starred with John Wayne (The Searchers) and John Wayne starred with..... Happy Weekend and the final week!

Oh in case you want to listen...here is the Harry Lime Theme as it is often called


51 comments:

  1. He must have had something looking out for him to be missed by all those bullets. Tombstone was grand indeed, never saw the first one. Can't blame the guy for not wanting to go into a sewer though, blah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He must have and for all the stuff he went through he was never shot or even got scratched

      Delete
  2. Two more great movies and two of my favorite genres, suspense and westerns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, dear Birgit!

    I have seen both of these films! Joseph Cotton and Orson Welles were two of my favorite actors. It was interesting to read the trivia about Orson's bad boy behavior during the production of The Third Man. A film that won the Oscar for best editing is my kind of movie because I was a film editor and appreciate the art. I don't usually watch Westerns but Mrs. Shady and I watched Tombstone together and enjoyed it. She has loved Sam Elliott ever since seeing him in the Gettysburg movie released that same year.

    Thanks, dear friend BB, and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Orson Welles was a bad boy as he was after some Italian actress and was successful..know idea who. That's pretty cool that you were a film editor. I love Sam Elliott also.

      Delete
  4. Nope! Missed both of these - although of course I've heard of them. :)

    Susan A Eames from
    Travel, Fiction and Photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh bummer...wish you saw them...maybe one day

      Delete
  5. Not seen these. I love your creative T! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like my T..I like how it turned out

      Delete
  6. The minute I read The Third Man, the theme song stared playing in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's been a long time since I've seen Tombstone, but I remember really liking that movie. Will have to put it back on my Must Watch Again list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good and I think one of the biggest reasons is due to Val Kilmer

      Delete
  8. Are you making the letters? They are great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another great pair. I watch Tombstone every few months, it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Saw both those movies but it was a very long time ago and I'm afraid I don't remember much about them. My memory is not as good as it once was either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe one day you'll see them again. They show up on tv every once in a while.

      Delete
  11. I was in Vienna last year and saw many of the key locations where The Third Man was filmed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Vienna! I had seen many of the same sights except the Ferris wheel. I even stood in the same spot where Harry Lime was first seen. Vienna is a beautiful city that I love.

      Delete
  12. The Thitd Man - now you're talking! One I've seen multiple times.
    The Glasgow Gallivanter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great film that I can watch over and over

      Delete
  13. We can never forget the Harry Lime Theme :)
    <a href="http://jemimapett.com>Jemima Pett</a>

    ReplyDelete
  14. Orson sounds quite spoiled to be able to get away with that. I've seen a few scenes from Tombstone and I've heard some interesting stories about Wyatt Earp and Doc Holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was spoiled and was trying, successfully I might add, to bed an Italian actress. Doc Holiday sounds like he was every inch what we see in that film.

      Delete
  15. I am so ignorant of so many great movies. Thanks for the education, Birgit.
    I love the soothing colors of your T card too.
    Be well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you are enjoying what I am writing about and I am liking my T card

      Delete
  16. I know Tombstone. Good movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a good movie that I love better than the one with Kevin Costner

      Delete
  17. Tombstone, another film I'd like to see.
    This is an interesting time in history, and unfortunately, I know little about.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, wow... I first "met" Orson Welles in Citizen Kane, and his Othello (or was it Macbeth?) was the film we saw in school after studying the play. I'm not a huge Kurt Russell fan, but he's had his moments :)

    Happy A2Z day off! (One more week... we can do this! ;) )
    Guilie @ Life In Dogs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Citizen Kane is THE film that Welles is known for and he did both Shakespeare films so you may one day remember which one you saw in school. One more week and I am so behind

      Delete
  19. Finding your blog for the first time while out blog hopping from North Carolina during the #Challenge. This is a great looking blog and love the theme. I looked back at several of your posts before hurrying on to visit as many blogs as possible this Sunday, our day off. If you have interest or time, I have been writing about hotels and inns, the architects and settings. It was about tea at a lovely hotel yesterday. Join me. I am following you now because I loved your cards as well. Disappointed I couldn't follow with e-mail notification. Too busy to remember to check on google, but will give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for finding my blog. I have been so far behind but I will check out what you have been writing about. Glad you like my cards also.

      Delete
  20. "Tombstone" was MUCH better than the Kevin Costner version.
    Only a huckleberry would think otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Never seen either. Of which I should be ashamed.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'd suggest Mr. Arkadin, from Welles. Also, I recommend Wyatt Earp. I love Dennis Quaid's Doc.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'd like to see the Third Man -- love Orson Welles and old black and white films. Sounds like a film noir movie.
    Tombstone was great!

    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
  24. Have not seen either. Val Kilmar as Doc H would be neat to see. Orson was sure a piece of work! Did not know he married Rita H.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Tombstone a Western Classic for more recent decades!

    ReplyDelete