Thursday, April 21, 2016

Letter R



A to Z Challenge

...Katherine Hepburn starred with Bob Hope (Iron Petticoat) and he starred in....

1. ROAD TO MOROCCO-1942-COMEDY


DIRECTOR: David Butler
STARS: Bob Hope, Bing Crosby, Dorothy Lamour, Anthony Quinn, Donna Drake
PLOT: 2 nuts explode the ship they are sailing on and end up drifting to Arabia where one is sold ito slavery. When the other tries to help him and finds out his friend doesn't want help since he is going to marry the beautiful princess, his friend decides to battle for her hand as well by saying he should have been the slave. She is also wanted by the bad man Quinn...the antics these 2 get into.
QUOTE: (Camel Says)-This is the screwiest picture I was ever in.
OSCAR NOMS: Original Screenplay:), Best Sound
OSCAR WINS: Best Sound
LOVE: The camaraderie of the 2 male stars and how Hope talks directly to the camera at times.
FAVOURITE SCENE: When the 2 nuts are being chased and they hide as head busts
FAVOURITE CHARACTER: Turkey Jackson (Bob Hope)
TIDBITS: This is the 3rd of 7 films Hope and Crosby made. Dorothy was in 6 and sadly the executives went with Joan Collins in the last picture which wasn't very nice at all. The reason I placed a happy face by best screenplay is that the 2 often ad-libbed and Hope would talk directly to the audience.
SIX DEGREES (MORE OR LESS) OF SEPARATION: Bing Crosby starred with Ann Margaret (Stagecoach remake) and she starred with John Wayne (The Train Robbers). John Wayne starred with Carroll O'Connor (In Harm's Way) and O'Connor starred in....

2. RETURN TO ME-2000-ROMANCE


DIRECTOR: Bonnie Hunt
STARS: David Duchovny, Minnie Driver, Carroll O'Connor, Bonnie Hunt, Robert Loggia, Jim Belushi
PLOT: Happily married man loses his zoologist wife in a car accident. She is an organ donor and her heart is given to a critically ill woman who needs a new heart. A year later, their loved ones tell them they need to get out more......
QUOTE: (To character singing loudly in the kitchen)- Will you go find yourself a gondola?
OSCAR NOMS: Nil
OSCAR WINS: Nil
LOVE: The story which is very sweet and how animals know
FAVOURITE SCENE: When Minnie Driver's character meets the gorilla
FAVOURITE CHARACTER: Marty O'Reilly (Carroll O'Connor)
TIDBITS: Yippee! A female director and Bonnie Hunt is a dynamo! She directed, acted and co-wrote this film. She filmed it in Chicago where she grew up and many of her family members are used as extras in the film. This neat restaurant actually exists and is called the Twin Anchors. This was Carroll O'Connor's last film.
SIX DEGREES (MORE OR LESS) OF SEPARATION: Carroll O'Connor starred with....wait until tomorrow

32 comments:

  1. I was unfamiliar Carol O'Connor starred in any films. And with David Duchovny. Sounds like an interesting story, but I had never heard of the film. The first one I've heard of but never seen it. It too looks funny and something to watch next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, O'Connor did make films...quite a few. Any of the road movies are hilarious and I am shocked that I have none on DVD

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen several Road films, not sure which ones now though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some do follow one into the other and they all have similar plots but I just love them

      Delete
  4. Shocking, but I've not seen either of these. What do I do with my time???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You listen to music, read and enjoy life :)

      Delete
  5. First one sounds fun and screwy indeed. Never heard of either of them, must have missed the second along the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love all the road pictures and I think you would like them. Quiz show is an intelligent film and I think you would like this one too.

      Delete
  6. Unlike your other post, this time I saw zero of the two movies, but at least heard the names of them :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you are ahead of everything because you have heard of them and maybe, one day, you will see one of them.

      Delete
  7. I saw some of those Road pictures at an theater that played nothing but movies from that era. They were horrible! Yet very campy and crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I think the road pictures are quite good....I wonder which films you saw.

      Delete
  8. I don't know about the second film, but I do remember seeing re-runs of 'The Road to...' when I was a child. They were hilarious to me back then!

    Susan A Eames from
    Travel, Fiction and Photos

    ReplyDelete
  9. Was this the Road to... with "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)"? One of these days I want to find the Road to... with that song. Just because of They Might Be Giants.

    Return to Me. Cute movie. Yep, I've seen that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well they did many road pictures. Glad you saw Return To Me because it is such a fun film.

      Delete
  10. I always wondered about Return to Me. I thought it sounded good. Maybe a movie for me and Kiddo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very sweet and sensitive film that should be more widely known.

      Delete
  11. Return to Me is a very sweet movie. A lot of people love him from the XFiles, but I never really watched it. He is cute and a good actor, but as time goes by I realize I am just very distinct when it comes to my interests in movies and shows. What I like seems to differ dramatically from most people, and now I barely watch movies at all. I just watch a few videos on YouTube.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, one can get bothered by so much crap out there and you have very definite tastes which is great. Enjoy the YouTube I say:)

      Delete
  12. I liked those road pictures when I was a kid but now they seem hopelessly corny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh bummer..of course they are corny but I still find them quite funny but it doesn't take much for me to laugh.

      Delete
  13. I do like some Minnie Driver. Haven't seen this one though.

    ReplyDelete
  14. didn't see either of these movies. But if Carroll O'Connor played in it, it must've been good! I loved him!! Was so sad when he died. He was a very talented actor and had a way of getting viewers to get invested in his characters...

    Michele @ Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right! I watched In The Heat of the Night all the time and thought he was great and felt so horrible about his son. It wasn't fair that he had to deal with something so devastating as losing his son in the twilight of his years.

      Delete
  15. I think I need to add Road to Morocco to my must-watch list. Bob Hope and Bing Crosby sound like they would make a great team!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did make a great team and often appeared in many tv shows together like Jack Benny

      Delete
  16. You know, as corny as those movies are I still love Bing Crosby and Bob Hope movies and this was a fun one. The movie with Minnie Driver I thought I had seen but reading your descriptions now I'm not so sure. Sounds like a great movie

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really need to see the Road movies.

    ReplyDelete